Following me everywhere

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lstabler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Following me everywhere

Post by lstabler »

My newly adopted female chow Angel follows me room to room. Granted, we are in "her" house since my mother-in-law died. She does not seem anxions, just follows us as we go about sorting things. If we get up and go to another room, she follows every time. What does this behaviour mean?
Auddymay

Re: Following me everywhere

Post by Auddymay »

She likes you, and she is curious to see what you are doing. She might also just be keeping track of you, Chows like to know where their people are at all times.
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

Auddymay wrote:Chows like to know where their people are at all times.
I totally agree, she's finding her way into your hearts. She probably knows/feels her your mother inlaws absence, and requires some attention.
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Have to agree with all of the above, if you accidently left bathroom door open you would probably have furry company in there too.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Lol Rio, but thats where my boys draw the line. They know thats where the bathing takes place and would never voluntarily step into that room.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Sounds like you have a very nice chow that most people would love to have. Most chows only come get you when they need something.

Brutus
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with the others, she just wants to know where you are. My two do the same thing, though they may follow and then leave to watch from another room, like right now I'm in the dining room they are in the living room where they can see me, but they can pretend to be independent too. Silly chows. :D
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Our Tempest follows me everywhere I go. The funniest part is that when I'm going down the big winding staircase and she's with me every step of the way, if I stop on a step, she stops right next to me and won't budge until I start up again! But, she seldom lays down near me when I sit down, she'll usually be in the doorway of that room with her back to me laying down. I assume that's her "guard" position so that no one can get to me. Ming, however, is laying down on my foot, I never have to worry about him wandering too far...
iceskates
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iceskates »

I agree with the others. Other than their protective nature, chows are so curious and just love to be with you. Sometimes, you'll find that they will emulate you.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

I so agree with that statement of chows wanting to always know where their humans are

Sounds like you have a buddy for life, consider yourself a lucky person

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
lstabler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lstabler »

Thanks for all the comments. Angel seems to have "adopted" my husband and myself as her new owners. She's a loving dog and is learning quickly. We tackled the mats on her hind quarters yesterday and managed to get the biggest ones cut out. She'd not been brushed regularly for a long time. She tries to bite the hand that gets close to her hind in, so I put a mesh muzzle on, and although she did not like it, she tolerated it and the mat removal went smoothly. She learned that we did not hurt her so we are hopful the muzzle wont' be seen as a negative thing. I think she really likes the extra grooming, walking and activity as my mother-in-law had become more and more house bound in the last year. I appreciate this forum and am learning much about chows that is helping us adjust to our new chow companion.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I can't speak from experience with chows and mats, since I haven't had any problem with mine. I try to keep them groomed enough to not have bad mats, and sometimes when they do have mats, I can cut them out with no problem. With that said, I have had two rescue cats that were sensitive because of mats. One was a Himalayan and the other was a Persian. Both of these cats had not been regularly groomed, and I am sure the mats were uncomfortable. When I picked up Cyrus, the Himalayan, I was told he did not like to have his hind quarters touched. He was severely matted. When we had him neutered, we had the vet clip him while he was still somewhat sedated. Once his fur grew out, he did not mind grooming.

Once you get the mats removed, and you start a regular grooming routine, I think you chow will appreciate it. My two seem to like to be brushed. I don't know if it is the grooming, or the attention.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds like you are doing great. Try to make sure the grooming is as positive experience as possible, especially where it hasnt been a regular thing in the past. Try out a few different things to see what works (maybe even distracts) best. I had one Chow that had to have a specific toy so he would sit and relax during brushing. My 2nd actually wanted to chew on the spare brush...i think it made him believe he was still in control. Current Chow will sit and take all the treats and cookies we put in front of him and never look at who's brushing him out.