Slip,Sliding!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Slip,Sliding!!!

Post by Rio »

Ok have a query, to all of the wooden floor owners, do you put anything on your Chows/dogs paw pads to stop them sliding like ice hockey players on your floors?
Hubby was told by a friend to try paw-pad wax. I know to keep the fur in pads short to avoid walking issues, but how do you stop the darlings from skating.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Slip,Sliding!!!

Post by Sirchow »

Good question....we have just laid a wooden floor and the dogs not only cant stand up on it but the rugs we have put down end up like a car crash against the far wall of the room. I am getting a bigger rug to cover our whole lovely new floor up :( and a grippy back to prevent it sliding but I also wondered about something to put on their paws and would they not just lick it off?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Similar experience with the wood floors and no runners or area rugs. Havent tried and products, but from my experience, keep the nails trimmed to minimize the slippy slidy thingy.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two have successfully scratched up the wood floor in the bedroom. The ceramic tile downstairs is holding up quite well. Keeping their nails clipped and the hair on their feet helps. If you can keep them from jumping up and trying to run through the house, then things will be ok.
benmilton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by benmilton »

I have placed the rug pad beneath the area rugs which prevent snowy from slipping and now he plays on them all the time. Try our for the rug pad they really work well.
Last edited by benmilton on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

we are also having problems with Bella now that she has some CRITICAL mass behind her she is slipping in the kitchen on vinyl tiles which we had no problem with our chow they are textured even and Bella slides! She also has the throw rugs and runners bunched up next to the wall !!!! Even with the grip stuff on them! It's really funny to watch her when we say SIT she tries to sit and ends up in a down !!! But I do worry about her legs and hips when she does her zoomies! And Yes Goldens do zoomies and watch out!! we grab her right away and scoot her out side before she does damage to herself! AND me!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm sorry ... I got a big chuckle out of this one because our poor boys "peel out" every time there is a noise in the other room. Just last night it started in the computer room, went all the way down the hall, around the peninsula in the kitchen and didn't stop until they got to the sliding glass door. Silly boys!! Time to clip Leo's nails again. Max scuffs when he walks so his are nice and trim. Time to do the hair next. That'll be a first for both boys but I notice it getting longer now. And, with the snowy roads I wouldn't want them to collect too many snowballs.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Should just be a bit if time for chowlings to adapt. Ours have, they can run, play, lie down get up, without much issue anymore even with wet feet.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I don't wax my wood floors cause all of us slide around corners, lol! I also keep rugs in strategic spots like where they jump off the bed & at doorways.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

It's the hair that grows between their toes. Once that grows out they lose their traction. That hair has to be trimmed down between the toes. The more hair the more they slip. That can be a problem unless your floors are like glass? Chows grow hair EVERYWHERE, including between the toes.
Gene.
Gene