General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow names

Post by Chow master »

Hey friends

Ok so I was so seeing if anyone had any good chow names it can be female and male. The reason why is because I suck at naming dogs so I need help if I get a male then I think I'll name home zeus and female still thinking so ny names feel free to share please!!!

~chow master
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow names

Post by yatta5000 »

I was thinking of naming my Chow Zeus at one point, then Apollo...(Greek God names) but they were ever common among dogs and I wanted one that wasn't overdone. I though maybe Casear, Csar, but later settle with Achilles. I never aimed for "dog names" per-say but a name i like instead. So hopefully this helps you open you mind a little. Good luck,
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Crikey, I'm useless.
The cats are Ramses,Abbi,Blueberry and Xander (Xander is a girl) Chow is Rio. A white alsation called Kane. I had a Jaguar catfish called Jazz! Siamese fighting fish called Thunder! African Grey called Mason. Other cats were Tango,Cash,Purdy,Poppy,Shadow and Jasper.
Pedigree names of the cats I named were Nefertiri,Stargazer and Moonlight Sonata.
Budgies were Harry,Ron,Hermoine and Hedwig (bought around the time of Harry Potter craze)
I struggle to pick names they just come to me!!! Oh and I had a Vampire catfish called Drac LOL.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I hope this thread grows, as I'll be getting a puppy down the road here and am all ready wondering what I am going to name him. lol
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My first chow, his name was Cinder. And my second, her name was Tippsy. Now I have my 2 mixes, Dixie and Jasper; and my pomeranian, Todd. I've also had dogs named Coco (poodle), Sophie (schnauzer), Dusty (pom), Buddy (pom), Sydney (pom), Jazmine (boxer), Toby (min pin), Max (yorkie), Li'l Bit (chihuahua), and Snooki (pitbull mix). I've also fostered 2 dogs Shiloh (beagle mix) and Chloe (pitbull).
The names of the cats that have been owned and fostered by us were/are; Killer (x2), Tigger (x2), Li'l Bit, Bitsey, Smokey, Blackie, Socks, Xander, Tinkerbell, Koda, Harley, Newman, Danica, Sassy (x2), Princess, Cleo, Lullaby, Minion, Monster, Precious, Kurby, and Dawn.
And I've decided on 3 names to choose from for my future chows/dogs; Phoenix, Ouija, and Sinister (obviously not something you hear/see everyday).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

I named my baby girl chow Violet because of the tongue. But i did struggle to find a name for her as well. Came up with a few before choosing this one : Purple, Ciao-Belle("Chao"), Bella, Little bear, Kora, Kindle. My boyfriend ended up coming up with Violet because he wanted it to sound girly, but also wanted to come up with a name that would resemble her or have some kind of meaning behind it.
-Nat and Violet
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Funny I always think of a name I want to name my pups but then when I get them I always seem to change it to something that fits them better ( I think) . Nikki was named Saint Nikki cause she was given to me as a St Nicholas day gift.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

There you got a lot from Rio who happens to lOve a lot of animals. I hate to give names to fish as I would feel bad when they die and they die quickly like a few weeks. but her list is impressive. What with Nefertiti you have some royalty coming through! (just kidding!) I like her names a lot though long.
Might try Pharaoh.
My pets' name were:
When i was a kid: Bucay (a parrot) Kiss, King, Rona, Whitey, Brownie , Blackie (oh so boring...)
About 10y/o: Misty Tigok Badodor (parrot), Kiao (Talking Myna bird)
College: Chloe (rabbit) , again the blackie whitey name for black and white (rabbit)
Cookie, Bubbles, Duke, Hera (along with Hercules, Hermione and other H name of the greek mythology for my first pedigree litter) , Luca, Bruiser,
My kid's: Winnie the pooh, Blue, Magenta, Manuki (chicken), Gem,
Most pedigree names I gave are short but I cant remember all.

Personally i name my pets based on their look or appearance. I named Cookie because of her spots she looked like Cookies and Cream ice cream. She was a dalmatian. Black spots.
Go with what clicks for your pet if ever you get to get one. Might want some names from other countries to sound exotic.
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

I named my old dog PoBar, short for Polar Bear because he looked like one.
-Nat and Violet
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Just google dog names and you will hundreds. Best name I have heard for a chow was Fuji.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Ohh like fuji. :-)
I know with Clover we had a long drive back home from where I picked her up. I ended up naming her on the ride home, when I met her personality- Clover just fit.
Family animal names have been/are
Tori, Sam, jagger, cirrus, Austin, Dixon, Sam....
Hope it helps!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I like Clover's approach. Tough to name the pup until you have seen him/her. I think you need to consider color and personality so that it fits. Preselecting a name just doesnt work like it does with human kids.

Currently have our 3rd chow...1st was Kodi, and he really projected a wild, bear type attitude. 2nd was Teddee, and he was way cuddly and sweet.

Rory is a red Chow who projects a lot of arrogance while being very friendly once you are introduced to him. Wanted to continue the 2 syllable "ee" sound at the end. Been my experience dogs learn this combination fairly easily.

Now i know Chows have an eastern heritage, but Rory, or the many spelling variations, is from old irish or gaelic and translates to "Red King". I had to sell it to the ladies of the house, but it fit him so well.

Thats my story, hope it helps a bit.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

It took me about a week to come up with Ursa as a suitable name. Malachi came with his name from the shelter. We named Yoda, our cat after I noticed how his ears stuck out from his head while watching him eat from his bowl as a kitten. Waldo was named when my wife and I were looking for him, and of course the question came up, "where's the kitten?" ergo "where's Waldo?" Frisbee got his name because Wolf, our husky, who had wolf markings, would carry the kitten around like he was a Frisbee. We try to get names that fit the animal, even if it takes a week or two to find the best name.
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

Love the names, makes me want to rename my little chow. Would the new name catch on?
-Nat and Violet
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Absolutely. I read in your other post that you already made that decision, but your pup is so young it will not present any problems.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My Lily did not have a name for 2 weeks. My daughter and I could not agree. She finally wanted Lillian. I was not keen on Lillian, but liked Lily, after a favorite garden flower. So my part of the compromise was to name her Lily An.

Now, at the same time, there was a show on HBO called Deadwood. It was about Wild Bill Hickock, and the gold rush in the Dakota's in the 1880's. On the show, was a Chinese man named Mr. Wu, or Wu as he was often called. He was the most powerful man in the Chinese district, and was ruthless. He had a bunch of swine that he often fed with unfortunate murder victims of his sometimes partner, the bar owner Swergen. Since my Chowling seemed pretty ruthless herself, I added the surname Wu.

So her full name is Empress Lily An Wu...she became empress by deposing my daughter's cat. One Empress Kitsy Wu. AKA Baby. She lives with my mother because my husband hated cats. We called her Kitsy Woo, but changed it to Wu. Kitsy is still alive, so I guess she is technically the dowager Empress...how's that for a story!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I think that chows look at you and their name sort of materialises out of thin air, whatever seems to suit them!
I love the idea of 'Sinister' (though would feel a bit odd shouting that in the park). I always wanted a cat called 'Familiar' (but as it happens mine are called Bijou (he is tiny) and Poubelle (french for 'bin for table scraps', seemed appropriate).
I love The Muppets (hencce the 'Fozz' bit of Fozzchops name - the second bit relates to Lambchops, the puppet in the 60s). I half wish that I'd called Humphrey 'Uncle Deadly'!
I like 'Figment' too.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My four chows names - Milly (now in the Happy Hunting Ground), Mabel her litter sister (still here with us) , Matilda and her litter sister Maisie.

All the dogs I have known and loved since I was a little girl, Bonzo (Ben), Cheri, Gelert, Kim, Beth, Peggy, Jenny, Lisa, Bruce, Rupert, Polly, Ben, Beth, Pippa, Lizzie, Meggy and then the 4 M's and of course, Hector. Add to that Fred's little childhood dog Bush Bush and his Police Dog Tex. Then my "granddogs" Laddie and Bertie and my "grandcat" Charlie.

Cats we have had - Ginger (my childhood cat), Hannah, Suki, Bella, Ally, Bobbie, Christie, Harry.

Names are fascinating. :D

p.s. I forgot Humphrey - another granddog - popped off to the Happy Hunting grounds a while ago.
Last edited by Judy Fox on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

Minnie is named after my great-grandmother. I figured since I'm not doing human kids, I might as well use a family name ;-)

I love old-fashioned names for dogs...We've had a boxer named Duke and a bulldog named Frank (after my grandfather).
Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow master »

Thank you all for replying I should tell you my 3 dog names we had two chows both have passed and then we have a welsh corgi. Our two chows were named Buzzy nickname (da Buzz) then another named Foxy nickname ( da monster) and our corgi sweetie nickname (dinky) lol my dad makes up the nicknames there always supposed to be fun and stupid. =P~ No matter what you called them they loved us and were happy to be part of our family! :D

Rest In Peace (Buzzy, Foxy) O:)
~chow master #-o
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Here are a few suggestions: How about names connected with holidays or weather conditions

The first year we were married my husband gave me a kitten for Christmas. I named her Noelle. The next year on New Year’s day we took our Christmas tree to my parents’ home to discard it. A mother cat and her kittens had taken refuge next door in my grandparents’ garage. My grandma said we could have her and the kittens. We were living in an apartment at the time and already had Noelle. We did take one kittens and named her Holly. Fast forward 18 years. Both Noelle and Holly had passed away and we decided to go to the Humane Society to adopt a kitten. We ended up adopting 2 sisters. On the way home we were kicking around names and my American Indian gene (I’m part Indian on my mom’s side of the family) kicked in. I had been told they would select names by looking around them in nature. I suggested Sunny & Breezy since it was a beautiful sunny, breezy day. Fast forward a few years. My daughter & I were at a local mall and a cat rescue group was there - you guessed what happened - we adopted a young cat and named her Misty. (it was a misty rainy day).

Dog time for me. I had lost my husband and my daughter was away at school. I saw an ad in the local newspaper that the Humane Society near by had a rescued mom chow and her son and daughter. I ended up adopting the daughter, my beloved Chloe \:D/ . Her name at the shelter was Princess but I didn’t feel that suited her. As I walked from the shelter to my car with her on a leash I looked around for some inspiration for a new name and there it was - It was a cloudy, snowy day - hence Chloe. Chloe passed away a year ago January. :( About last August I started to get a nudging feeling from Chloe’s spirit to rescue another chow. I connected with Santa Paws on a road trip last December and got Whitby. I found her through this website. (thank-you, thank-you =D= ). I was told she is named for an art museum in London, England. I decided to keep the name since she is a piece of work plus the fact she is 7 yrs old and I didn't know how she would relate to a name change.

Whatever name you choose for you furry friend will always have a special meaning for both of you. Enjoy!
Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow master »

I am sorry for your husband!!! I like the names though they were very meaningful.

thanks for you remarkable reply.
~chow master