Violently Aggressive Chows.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Violently Aggressive Chows.

Post by applebear »

I apologize if this has been covered but I just don't have the time to go through every response at this time. There is something called littermate syndrome, which caught my attention when you mentioned both your dogs were littermates [they don't even have to be from same litter, has more with the pups being raised together close in age].

I can't find the article I read before on it, but it had a lot of really good info on it and the problems you can have. Do a search on it sometime, there's tons of info out there on the subject and you should be able to find some info on how to work with the problem as well.
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

I have an 11 month old spayed female who started attacking my male neutered collie 2 months ago. I am now working with a behaviorlist. There can be many reasons for aggression. I've discovered that Bear isn't reading Benny's signals. He is being submissive to her and she attacks him anyway. The 2 now have to be completely separated. They are wearing pheromone collars (being up the seratonin levels) and I have begun working on desensitising Bear to Benny. I'm afraid it is going to be a long road....lots of work ahead of us. I would suggest speaking to your vet if your guys are really ugly with each other. He/she may have a name of a behaviorlist in your area. The sooner this is nipped in the bud the better. The behaviorlist said our guys learn from every experience they have. "Did their behavior work for them or not". If growling or biting got your dogs what they wanted they'll keep doing it and get better at it every time they do. I hope all goes well for you and your babies.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

All good advice. We had it at what are now called the terrible 'twos'. You must decide whom is where in the pecking order and enforce it from now on. Spay/neutering didn't affect this at all, this is a animal thing, heightened in chows. We clipped them at an early age, didn'ts low them down, in fact the more we involved ourselves the worse it was. So we stopped, no matter how much it hurt. Since our little girl always won, she was acknowledged as emperor, and all animals in the neighbourhood or on trips seem to know this as well. Doesn't mean her brother is a sissy, he stands his ground now and again, well for a moment or two anyway. He's pretty dominant even though very accommodating. However, instead of daily fights we only have one or two a year now and they quick and no where near as violent.
bigdave1976
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigdave1976 »

Get a doggie-treadmill! We had to do this with our female chow. She wasnt too aggressive but she would do other crazy stuff: bite, tear out hair, run around in bursts, bark at ANYTHING... That was with us walking her. Every chow I have ever had was lazy and would not walk more than a quarter mile, until Kandice...then we got a treadmill and she spends about an hour throughout the day trotting on it and its calmed her down dramatically. But they are puppies too, so it may be that "teenage" stage.
Dragonfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dragonfly »

I'm joining this late but wanted to mention we had a similar problem with our male/female sibs. They spatted alot and I was honestly starting to believe all the articles I read against raising sibs. But it gets better! Make sure you treat them both the same, because they are competitive. Ours are 3 years now and very seldom fight anymore. Now they even groom each other.