Having trouble with walking

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

archeese
Rank 0
Rank 0

Having trouble with walking

Post by archeese »

Archie is my 5.5 year old Chow and we are having some difficulty walking him the last 2 months or so. What happens is that we will put him on leash, go out outside and everything will be fine for about 2 minutes. Then he just stops, for no apparent reason (nothing I can see). And he just refuses to move. Even when we do get him moving, if there is another person, dog, bus, car, anything, he just won't move. We literally have to drag him around the block, or wherever we are going. Essentially its "walk, walk, stop" everything 30 seconds. We are getting very frustrated because he used to walk so nicely! We recently moved homes, could that be why? Help! We love our Chow and hate being frustrated with him!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Having trouble with walking

Post by Rio »

I can only comment on how Rio is (16 week old) if we decide to go a different way on one of his walks he digs his heels in and in his own Chow way tells us he is not at all impressed by our different way!!! This can be anything from parking his butt on the floor, grabbing his lead, running at us and grabbing our trousers, or just generally taking the huff.
Maybe you could climatize him to his new area slowly, as you would with a new pup. Sorry if that is of no help whatsoever but its my best guess. You could try taking his favourite treats with you also, blackmail works wonderfully sometimes. ;)
Have you ruled out anything medical?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Did it all started when you moved to a new home? Cassie does that everytime she is new to a place. It takes time but perhaps older chows are more cautious and somewhat lacks a puppy's inquisitiveness so it might take longer for him when to decide when he wants to finally walk down the block.
That is definitely one of the chow chow traits. Good luck. Just be patient
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

As Rio noted, you need to rule out medical issues, which you probably have considered. This may be due to the change in locations. This weekend, or when you have lots of time, take Archie out and just amble about at his pace. Let him get acclimated to his new neighborhood. It sounds like he finds all of it a bit overwhelming. Treats will also work. Ursa, when she is alone, can act the same way in new locations.
Even when we do get him moving, if there is another person, dog, bus, car, anything, he just won't move.
After I got Malachi, she was so much better because she finds his presence reassuring. Now if she gets hot, she will lay down, but I know that this is the reason.
franhan46
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by franhan46 »

please have your vet check your chow's heart. My dog began slowing down just like you describe, and she died within the next 4 months of a massive heart attack.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My Chows have their moody days, my male Leo will go half way down the drive stop and turn around only to go back inside take a drink and go back out for a full walk. Sometimes he just seems to want to go without my female Zoey and will go later without her. Leo has been slowing down a lot in the last two years; he does have developing liver and spinal issues. Zoey had spinal surgery last December when her back legs failed her. I often find myself having one or both stopping or trying to go their own way, I always thought this was just the curious nature of the Chow.
Do get a wellness check by a Chow friendly Veterinarian to verify any potential developing health issues. Hopefully your Chow is just unsure of its new surroundings and will adjust in time.
archeese
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by archeese »

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I took him for a very slow walk, letting him sniff and take his sweet time and he was great! By the end he was trotting down the street normally because I let him have his way. Hoping he can keep it up :)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

That sounds about right. Taking it slow and letting him have his way.