Is this a sign of a Problem?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

aglag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this a sign of a Problem?

Post by aglag »

My dog just recently keeps clinging to me like glue. He follows me everywhere. If I am in the office, he is lying in the hall, if I am in bed, he is lying in his bed. He sometimes come and scratch me and I don't know what he wants because he's been walked, fed etc. low and behold, if I go into the bedroom, he'll go in his bed and I get in the bed and he is happy. I cannot figure this one out. The minute I say I am going out to the store, he automatically get up and head to the garage with me. He cannot stand for me to be out of his site. Any indication of what this is? I am baffeled.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is this a sign of a Problem?

Post by Rio »

Some and I mean some dogs can pick up when their owners are ill, I am not saying this is the case, but it sounds like he is definitely concerned about something. Not being a dog psychologist I am just guessing, has something drastic change recently that could explain the change in behaviour?
Good Luck finding the problem.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

If he is destroying things while you are gone then I would say that he has some seperation anxiety. But if not it could mean something is wrong or mean nothing at all. Like Rio said it could mean that your dog senses that you need rest. It could mean that your dog is not feeling well and wants to rest but wants to be near you. Or it could just be that he is a clingy dog (in other words means nothing).

I have had chows that were all of the above. Leoette was an independant chow that like laying alone until she was feeling sick then she wanted to be near her momma. And I had Iggy who was clingy and my husband always said he knew where I was in the house, etc. because Iggy was never far from me and the older he got the more clingy he got. But all of my chows have been able to sense when I was not feeling well & would surround me with love.

I would think about his personality and previous habits then if you still feel something is not right take him to the vet for a full work up (its amazing what those blood tests can tell you).
aglag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aglag »

Thanks for your responses.

Interesting. As far as I know, I am okay. Sometimes, I am down and out and he may sense that but otherwise things are normal.

As for him, he doesn't show any signs of being ill. He is eating like no tomorrow and his outside habits are great. That is why I posted the ad because I cannot figure out why he wants to be around me so much. I know he is spoiled. Very spoiled. And that could be it. I will keep an eye on this and see what transpires. Again, thanks.