Squat or leg lift?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Squat or leg lift?

Post by sue »

Sorry Rio i cant upload any photos at the moment my last pc crashed and i have just bought a new laptop and am still just getting used to it.
Its all to do with dominance the higher up the tree,wall etc they can pee the better.Many years ago i watched a documentery cant remember what it was called but it went into great lenghts explaining about why dogs sniff where others have peed before.When a dog has peed & another sniffs it just from that one sniff that tells the dog whether its male or female,how dominant they if its a female in season etc this includes poo as well.Also if there young or old just by the hormone levels in the pee.Its the same as leaving a calling card it tells them all about each other before they even meet when males do meet up they have already decided who is the most dominant just by the information they have got from the pee.This can stop some fights before they begin one dog will not go near another.Also why some dogs off leash will run the lenght of a field to come & attack another dog.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I think that a chow's personality also has something to do with how they pee. My alpha girl always squated until we got our foster chow 'Buddy'. Now she squats & hikes her leg...I laugh everytime I see her do it. But Chumley, my laid back chow (who is intact) squatted until he was about a 8 months and now will just lean over the spot and sometimes just nonchalantly raise his leg an inch or so.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sue is correct about the calling card. I have seen a documentary and read on the subject. I think most males eventually learn the practice. My wife thought Malachi would not since he is neutered, but that is not the case. Hormones have something to do with the male leg lifting, but I think dominance has something to do with it also when it comes to females. Wolf, our spayed female husky, would definitely mark her territory. She was the first female dog I observed this behavior. Our two terriers will squat if they are not trying to mark territory. Ursa, who is always a dainty little girl, must think no one is watching, because she forgets her dainty nature and looks like a cow standing out in the pasture.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

ROFL@Ursa the cow. Hope she isn't reading this or I'm in trouble.I have just read back through the posts and thankyou Cocoa. :wink:
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

@Rio, Malachi is the one who likes to check the computer and he won't tell.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Pssst Malachi, don't tell Ursa, I have doggy treats ;)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Sue, just a thought about pictures, most new laptops have Bluetooth on so you could try to send pics from phone to laptop, I really want to see the doggies that go with those names. ;) ;)
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

http://youtu.be/IyeFWoGr2a0 If i have done this properly theres a video of zeus & baby shabs with achilles snoring in the background that i took last summer.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thanks Sue, Zeus is lovely, and has so much patience too.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Rory's Dad wrote:Not sure if its funny or not, i always just thought odd, but i have seen Rory actually get on top of a small bush in his attempts to mark.
That's the way Dreamdance poops! He gets his little rear end as high as he can against a tree or bush or something like he's trying to mark his height with his poop...it so silly and a pain in the winter when he wants to back up the snow piles around the trees and bushes so he's even higher...(during Minnesota winters I just want him to do his business so we can all go home!)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!