My first question...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

My first question...

Post by Andria »

Hi all...although this is my first post/question... I have been actively reading and searching for information here for a couple of weeks. I will be bringing home my chow baby in about five weeks and find myself turning here more and more trying to gain insight because as we all know the more digging you do on the Internet, the more refuted and contradicting information you will find (and honestly I'm waiting for a message from Google telling me I have reached my limit on chow related searches) :lol: I still have a gazillion questions, but there is one question at the top of the house that makes me lose sleep at night... so please be kind and bear with me in case it seems like an ignorant question. I have a six year old Maltese that is extremely mild tempered and laid-back... how concerned should I be that the chow will transition into the Alpha and try to dominate... which could result in fighting and possible injuries? I'm well aware of the importance of socialization, but what else might I do proactively?
Auddymay

Re: My first question...

Post by Auddymay »

How is your current dog around other dogs? You will mostly determine their relationship, and their individual personalities. When I got my Chow puppy almost 7 years ago, she was the terror of tiny town. She was all over my then 10 year old Chow mix who allowed it. When the pup went too far, the elder corrected her, however. As Lily hit maturity, she was definitely more 'dominant' than Pip, but she did not abuse her. She was just more forward than Pip. Pip has passed, and my daughter brought home an aged rescue bitch. At first Lily was pushy and a little mean, but the boundries got set and they are fine together. Three months ago I took on a foster Chow. He is 1.5 years old and twice Lily's size. She sometimes pushes him around, but she is also his protector. He is as gentle a dog as I have ever owned.

So, to answer your question, things should be fine. Socialize your new pup and if possible, enroll it in a puppy class to help with bonding and the basics of training. Oh, and good luck!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Welcome to the site.
The size difference in those first months is the hard bit. Bramble terrorised our little Alfie ( a very small cavalier). Personally I wouldn't be worried about the alpha side of things. We have three dogs normally (+ five puppies at the moment) and none of them are alpha they have respect for each other, eat in a row, wait for each other to finish with chews etc. It is about you showing them how you expect them to behave and setting boundaries. That has never been a problem but it was a problem when Bramble wanted to play and Alfie was so little he did get hurt sometimes...not seriously. He spent the first few months running from one settee to the other when she was younger but gradually with guidance she learnt what was expected and what was acceptable. I would say dont leave them alone together ever, till the chow is full grown and has calmed down enogh to be trusted. Chows play rough and could hurt your smaller dog. They love to push on the backs of other dogs with their feet and to another chow this is fine but with a small dog it isn't.
Good luck and if we can help with anything at all you should just ask there is so much knowledge and experience on this site.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Looks like some good answers. We have two chows and two terriers. Ursa, my female chow, is the alpha. I can't remember if she is now 5 or 6. Sometime I will check the paperwork. Initially, she and the terriers did not get on very well. Also, she would boss around Malachi, the one male in the group. He has gotten tired of being bossed around, and will tell Ursa when she has gone too far. Ursa gave both the terriers a warning bite, but the size difference resulted in a single canine tooth puncture wound, and vet bill$. Things have sorted out, and there is not any problem. Maggie, the rat terrier, will sometime get in Malachi's face, but he ignores her by lifting his head. Ursa generally doesn't mind the small dogs. We do feed in separate locations, so that there are arguments. The chows are fed together out in the breezeway, and the terriers are fed inside the house. A door separates the two. Once feeding is over, we put away the bowls and everyone gets to go out into the fenced yard. It is a matter of everyone learning their standing and respecting their position. The humans are the real pack leaders, and it is our job to keep the rest of the pack respecting each other.
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andria »

I truly appreciate the informative responses…clearly I have landed in the perfect forum.
How is your current dog around other dogs? You will mostly determine their relationship, and their individual personalities
My Maltese is mostly docile in temperament, but rather playful by nature. Even at 6years old, he hasn’t slowed down a bit. When around other people or animals, he claims me by jumping in my lap...so he does okay around others but chooses not to let anyone or anything closer to me than him...not aggressively though.
I would say don’t leave them alone together ever, till the chow is full grown and has calmed down enough to be trusted
Great advice...I work a full time job, but work from home in a very relaxed environment and have been thinking about “crating” when running out for a bit. Question with that is...my Maltese has never been crated, so how well will it go over to leave him out and crate the Chowbaby when I leave? I would definitely never keep them separate by putting one outside because I feel if it’s too hot for me to be outside for more than 15 minutes at a time, I surely would not expect another family member to stay out. (Not to mention that “pretty dogs” seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate in my city due to thievery and re-selling)
We do feed in separate locations, so that there are arguments
Very Interesting point that I had not considered yet...I will definitely need to define “our system” to ensure success. I feed my Maltese 2 times daily...does a growing puppy need to be fed on a specific schedule, or do they need to have available food at all times? I’m assuming that a common water dish inside will be okay as they should have fresh water constantly available to them.
Thanks so much for the responses....making this much less stressful! BTW, we went and visited our new baby yesterday...second weekend in a row which equates to about 9 hours in the car...but well worth the drive to hold and play with the new baby. Oh, and my son gave him his name during this past visit...we will welcome “Latino Heat” aka “Eddie” into our family in about 5 more weeks...this picture was snapped as he held him and whispered his name for the first time...love at first sight (snuggle)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I am positive they will get along well especially if you said your Maltese is mild tempered. It is also okay if you crate the new pup while your old pup is not. Puppy need to be fed 4x. But it can be 3x. However there are people I know that trains the pup to 2xaday at an early age. An example is my Cassie but I reverted her back asap to 4xaday when I got her.
Puppies are playful and the size difference is not very much for a few weeks. I say you maximise the time element to get the two acquainted to the Maltese's advantage. Meaning have them play as much time allows you and able to supervise. The puppy will definitely "look up" even when she get taller.
Blue is now diminutive as against Cassie's bulk and height but Cassie will follow Blue for clues (wait...it just reminds me of Blue's Clues... :-) )
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andria »

Blue is now diminutive as against Cassie's bulk and height but Cassie will follow Blue for clues (wait...it just reminds me of Blue's Clues... )
Blue's Clues hahahaha Love it :D
I will definitely make the very most of those first few weeks when they're closer in size and geting aquainted and adapting...thanks for the response
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

ok, I couldnt resist... here is a short video on my 2 playing. Please excuse the quality as I am just learing how to upload to youtube. But you can see how rough they play. Chumley is bigger but Belle always gets the upper hand :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6cA9iX ... el&list=UL
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Cute video.

I see I left out a word where you quoted me: We do feed in separate locations, so that there are NOT arguments.

We have a formal way we feed everyone. I can switch up bowls with the chows, but if Cleo does not get HER bowl, she barks and complains. I think some dogs have the expectation of consistency.

I do see one issue that might be a problem
My Maltese is mostly docile in temperament, but rather playful by nature. Even at 6years old, he hasn’t slowed down a bit. When around other people or animals, he claims me by jumping in my lap...so he does okay around others but chooses not to let anyone or anything closer to me than him...not aggressively though.
If Ursa is near me, she will not allow Malachi to get nearer. This typically occurs first thing in the morning, since she sleeps next to the bed. If Malachi wakes up, he likes to come put his nose in my face. Ursa will from time to time take exception to this. It is a timing thing. Usually Ursa wakes up first, and wants to go immediately outside. I let her out into the yard, and Malachi takes her place beside the bed. If Ursa is next to me, and Malachi gets too close, there will sometimes be issues, but only if she had decided it is her time to be next to me. I like to use Malachi as a headrest to lay on the floor and watch tv. She has no problem with this. Having the chow in a crate and the Maltese in the house does not seem like an issue to me.
Right now the two are about the same size. I would work with introducing the two and let them sort things out. You have to see that there is not a problem. If the chow can learn, as a puppy, how to relate to the Maltese, then it should not be a big issue once the chow grows. There will be some adolescent issues, but you should be able to work through them.
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

My first question...

Post by Andria »

Great video...made me giggle watching the "back and forth"
I love this forum and all the great advice...and now (thanks Ursa's Daddy) I remember I have adolescence to look forward to LOL

Andria
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I like the 4th video in, a bit longer. When you told your one Chow they were noisy, I laughed. They were saying, "Run, darnit, run!" Lily does the same thing to Dillon.You have a nice big area for them.