Chowling snores!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chowling snores!

Post by Ylaartim »

I noticed Apollo snores when he sleeps.He makes this sound only when he's sleeping. For me its kinda cute actually. But should I be worried? I asked his breeder about it, she told me its normal since Apollo is a fat chowling, he tends to snore. Just like us humans. His breathing is perfectly normal.

What do you guys think? Is it normal? Should I be worried?
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chowling snores!

Post by Rio »

As a relatively new chow owner I have read that snoring is quite common in Chows because of their anatomical design. There are theories that dogs that persistently snore are overweight and generally have extra fat deposits around their throats and chest area. Obviously puppies have a fat back-up and as they get older and grow this tends to dissipate, Rio is still only 14 weeks old but in the 6 weeks we have had him we have seen his wobbly sides become more toned. Gosh I'm rambling. I personally wouldn't worry but if you feel its getting really loud and sounds laboured I would speak to a vet. On a personal note I thought it was kinda cute hearing Rio snore, and my cats were very confused by it.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cassie snores too. And she'd grunt and snort when playing. Still at 5 mos, she makes me carry her.
(BTW if you are refering to Mitra in the public service , yes he knows my parents as his father and my father did a campaign sortie when I was still in elementary. He's the gOvernor now.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Get used to it - it is a chow thing. My dog snores like a trouper and I find it strangely comforting (though she has woken me up once or twice). She purrrs too!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My chow girl, Tippsy snored her entire life. It's a trait of the breed it seems. ~lol~ From what my mom has told me, our first chow, Cinder, snored as well. As does my mix boy, Jasper.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty snores and has since I got him. I've heard it is a chow thing. He doesn't do it all the time, but frequently enough. It's endearing I think and nothing to be concerned about.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Many chows do snore. It is because of the muzzle, the shorter and broader the more they might snore. Not all chows do snore however, neither of my current two do, it's quite nice actually, they make enough noise when they are awake. At least when they are asleep it's peaceful around here.

You should watch for labored breathing in hot and/or humid weather though as the chows that snore sometimes are the ones that have problems with heat exhaustion.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry snores - lots, usually when he is upside down. He also has these teeny baby barks when he's dreaming, it's too cute xx \:D/
Thank you Sweatpea
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Brandon always snored - really loud. It's a chow thing.

He snored so loud that if we were trying to watch a DVD, you couldn't hear the TV when he was snoring, and when he was between snores, the neighbors could hear the TV! :D
Brandon's Mom - even now that he's at the Bridge.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum snores occasionally; much less than Sui Mai did. I attribute that to Sui Mai's crinklier muzzle.