Heavenly chows breeder?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Heavenly chows breeder?

Post by applebear »

Sorry, I walk away from any breeder that has a paypal button on the bottom of their website. Just how I feel, not meant to be offensive.
Barbara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Barbara »

We got our chow Toby from Emily at Heavenly Chows .When he was 8 months old started walking into the walls went to a Ophthalmology vet and was told he had glaucoma.^ months later Toby was good as new great eyes until this past week last Sunday Toby had a real bad Seizure went stright to the emergency vet with Toby..Now we find out 3 Seizures later that Toby has epilepsy..I called her and all she could say was I don't know what to say,all we are after is some history about the Mom said she would call me back next day Emily called and said she had gave the Mom Sandy away after her last litter and Toby was in that last litter...Our Toby is so loving and sweet and we will do what ever it taks to keep him healthy,but will be on a course of tretments for the rest of his life..I would never get another Chow from her.I am trying to locate someone who got a puppy from that litterMom was Sandy Dad RIP Simba they were born 8-1-2009..To see if they are having the same problems .... I am trying to be very fair about this but so sad for our beautiful Toby...Please feel free to email me BDixon1642@aol.com Most of the time seizurres come from the moms side
Zodar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zodar »

I got my youngest Chow Chow who is now 5yrs old from Heavenly Chows. Moxie (originally named by Heavenly Oprah, being at the time from Chicago I found their name ironic) has a wonder disposition; she is extremely polite, inquisitive but prefers to entertain herself. I have a very sweet video of her playing with a butterfly, nosing it, and bowing, and gently pawing it. She has been quite healthy except she did have Entropion which required eye surgery twice. We were told of her eye condition by the breeder when we first enquired about her. The breeders are of a religious community and seem reticent to have strangers visit which is why I believe they prefer to ship or meet people half way. I insisted on traveling from Chicago to visit their kennels and meet at least one of Moxie’s parents. The woman I spoke with only seemed to agree to let me visit when she learned that the both of coming were women. I met about 5 of their adult Chows and all of them where approachable, friendly, and looked to be in good health. I believe that the puppies are well socialized and get a lot of attention from the women in the community. No less than a half a dozen of the breeder’s friends were there and all of them said their goodbyes to Moxie. Breeding Chows provides extra money for the women. I’m certain that there are superior breeders out there; however I adore Moxie, I love her look and her personality. I would be happy to get another Chow from them and for their dog’s friendly dispositions alone I recommend them but in addition I think that the socialization and human contact the puppies receive is wonderful.
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingrid »

I just looked at their site.... they are not involved in any type of activities with their dogs. They don't do conformation, they don't do agility, obedience, nothing. They don't list any health certifications for their female breeding dogs , most good breeders will have OFA numbers and ratings on their website for all their breeding stock if they care about health. OFA = Orthopedic Foundation of America. The pedigrees of the dogs are not shown on their site (how do you even know you're getting a pure bred chow?) They have a whole page dedicated to price though. That should tell you something. They're in it for the money and that's it. The cherry on the cake is that most breeders on the net who are located in Missouri are puppy mills.

Here's a list of breeders who are members of the Chow Chow Club of america.
http://chowclub.org/ccci/component/opti ... temid,127/

Here is how to find a reputable breeder:
http://www.hkc.org/breederchoice.htm

Don't rush the process of getting a puppy, even if it means you have to get on a waiting list for a really great pup from a reputable breeder. Good luck with your search!
Caryl Myers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caryl Myers »

Stay away from any Chows from Missouri, check them out with AKC. Way too many "puppy mills" in Missouri.
All Chows should be tested before breeding. And if they can't give you OFA and Cerf#'s you're looking for trouble. Look at the parents, check out the temperment. Never buy a dog, sight unseen, unless you know the breeder.

Caryl Myers
www.cejamchows.com
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

[quote="mebo"]Our family has two chows from Emily at heavenlychows.com. They are beautiful, sweet, and very healthy chows. We actually drove from SC to Missouri to pick up Minnie and Kate, mainly because of a freak storm that shut down the airports, but the added benefit was getting to view the kennels. The kennels were incredibly clean, and the older dogs were sweet as could be. I was impressed by her chow knowledge and with her openness in answering questions about her kennel, dams, and sires. Our pups are from Kodak and Daisy. Both of ours were xrayed for hip dysphasia by our vet, and they showed very minor--basically, what you'd see in any chow. Emily was actually recommended to us by two other breeders who did not have pups available when we were looking. She breeds for temperament and solicalizes the pups from a couple of weeks. In fact, in the 3 years I've had my Minnie (who is a cream), she's been to the vet only twice for illness--once when she rejected her spay sutures, and this past week for an ear infection. She's definitely not a guard/aloof chow---she's a cuddle bug

I'm sorry to read that your chows were diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I'm not sure why you would say it is what you would see in any chow, that is certainly not true. It is a problem in chows thats why everyone should be checking hips before breeding. Why breed dogs with health problems?

Laura
Attachments
wp3a225895_0f.jpg
wp3a225895_0f.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

Evidently, you misunderstood my comment. Very few purebred dogs have perfect hips, and typically, dogs are x-rayed, then given a hip score...0 is perfect and is extremely rare, due to multiple factors. Both pups scored in the normal range, but higher than 0, as I'm sure your pups would if you'd had them screened. Since we bought our pups from a breeder, regardless of the reputation, the first thing we did after we brought them home was to have them vet checked. They were checked again and x-rayed at a year. Both dogs are extraordinarily healthy, social, and cuddly. Several people have made broad comments about this breeder, and I was addressing issues that individuals raised about their concerns over this breeder. Both of our pups have been spayed, because I have no interest in breeding pups. Our pups' vet raves over them, as does their groomer. Again, I'd be perfectly comfortable recommending Emily as a chow breeder based on my experiences with her kennel and her pups.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

< Very few purebred dogs have perfect hips, and typically, dogs are x-rayed, then given a hip score...0 is perfect and is extremely rare, due to multiple factors. Both pups scored in the normal range, but higher than 0, as I'm sure your pups would if you'd had them screened.>>

I have had my dogs x-rayed and 2 got OFA excellent and the others were OFA good. My first dog was dysplastic though. I've owned 12 chows with only one dysplastic, so I don't think its fair to say that good hips are rare. (OFA scores Excellent, Good, Fair and Poor.) Most breeders have been making an effort to reduce HD in chows.

I'm glad that you are happy with your dogs.

Laura
Attachments
wp3a225895_0f.jpg
wp3a225895_0f.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
Dog lady
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dog lady »

I got 2 chows from Emily they are beautiful and healthy and temper ment my gosh thy are so loving & she did ask references and check meout