CHOW CHOW/Retriever Mix and 7 year old cat

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

blueorchid007
Rank 0
Rank 0

CHOW CHOW/Retriever Mix and 7 year old cat

Post by blueorchid007 »

So I have been thinking seriously of adopting a chowchow mix with retriever. I have visited this dog twice and spent good amount of time with him. He is so docile and relaxed and calm. He is 2 and is not potty trained yet because he was not cared for. But he is very loving. My fear is that I have a 7 year old MaineCoon who I LOOVE and I do not want the cat to feel scared or bad about bringing a new dog in to the family. ??? I have asked several people and gotten a wide array of answers. One said they will get used to each other as long as you control the environment.. (the dog will be crated). Another said the Chows are aggressive and if the dog I met is not aggressive then he was being controlled at the shelter. That the 7 year old cat will NEVER get along with the chow and the chow MUST be kept outside?!? What is right.
Really freaking out. I do not want this to be a disaster for anyone involved, chow, cat or me or my Dad. lol.

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY ADVICE

Katie
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: CHOW CHOW/Retriever Mix and 7 year old cat

Post by MissV »

Hi Katie!

Hope i can give you some advice...
I however brought a puppy into a 6 year old cat's enviroment - and its much easier with puppies - but perhaps you can draw from some of what i did, because its worked well for us!

When we first picked up puppy and brought her home, we kept her in her crate. We did this so that she felt safe, and kitty would feel safe too.
We let kitty examine the puppy. She jumped up on the crate - pawed at puppy... she was just curious. Puppy was frozen with fear.
After a while had passed (like an hour) and kitty was bored with the puppy, we let puppy out.

Puppy sniffed around - kitty came back to check out what this little creature was - and mostly stayed out of the dogs way.

My dog is almost 1 now and fights like a cat. Seeing the both of them together is a joke! They both throw thier paws into the air to box each other. They're very good together and my dog has never tried to attack my cat.

Obviously having an older dog might be a problem as they're quite set in thier ways - but if you remain consistant and ensure that you show your dog that chasing kitty around is not correct behaviour you may be able to win. However, the instinct in a dog may prove to be something too great to control - esp with a retriever X chow thats never seen a cat and is already 2 years old.

GOOD LUCK!

here is a pic of my special kids :)
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have 4 dogs and 4 cats. Cats and dogs can get along. Sometime, cats and cats can get along. I have a Persian which I adopted from a pit bull rescue group. All the animals step aside when she comes through. My white cat was raised from a 4 week old kitten by the chows. It is a matter of conditioning. I have a theory that a little bit of fur can go a long way. I would brush the cat and take the fur from the brush and put it in the crate before I even got the dog. It might be a good idea to let the cat roam around the crate. This will introduce the dog to the presence of the cat. I would do the same with the dog, by brushing it, and then putting the bit of fur in the middle of the room where the cat spends some time. This is to indicate to the cat that the dog is allowed in that location. That is just an idea I have to bring about the first introduction. A baby gate should be provided for a least one room where the cat can feel secure and free of the dog. The cat will also need some vertical spaces where he can feel secure and above the dog. You will have to work with both animals. Now I have a Maine coon cat who samples the chows' food every evening. Ursa, my female chow, said something to Ace about this practice, and Ace explained to Ursa about seniority and other rules, and there has been no further discussion; the food sampling continues. You will have to work with both animals and observe the interaction. The cat's instinct will be to run, and the dog's instinct will be to chase. Conditioning will be required so that both animals will not react with these instincts when they see each other.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Like MissV said, it is easier done with a puppy. A good imprintable age is 5 months old below.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

And Ursa's dad have a very good theory put into action and has good results. But his are pure chows. Anyway it is worth a try and tons of time and patience required. You know, two animals who think they alone call the shots , then placed together , there'll be WAR and then PEACE. :-)
Blue and Cassie are now friends. Except Blue still has the big dog syndome going around and sometimes he gets into Cassie's nerves (who by the way is the real big dog - a chow)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Most Mane coons I know aren't going to take anything from a dog! They are big and they rule! The retreiver in the dog will most likely mellow out the prey drive a bit they retrieve they don't go hunt, (which is the issue with chows) I'd do like Ursa's dad said and then let them get introduced. The dog may have to learn its place but I'll bet the cat is up to teaching it,.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If you plan on getting a Chow/mix, be ready to defend the breed. There are many prejudices against them. Many from people who have never even met a Chow. As to the orphan in question- is there any way to test the dog for cat aggression at the shelter? Chows, and all dogs are a mixed bag when it comes to cats. I can say a Chow is no more likely to aggress with a cat than any other dog.

Also you mentioned your Dad. A red light went on for me regarding your age. That is not to say you cannot rescue if you are young. But a dog of 2 could well live another 10 years or more...what are your plans for the next 10 years, and will your Dad be taking care of the aimal should you go to college or move away for a job, etc? It's true even an adult cannot say for certain, but a teenager/young adult's life is at it's most uncertain.

I wish you luck, and hope you can give this sweetheart a new home.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with Ursa's Daddy. My purebred girl had no clue that cats were anything but things to chase when I got her at 3-4 months old. We brought her into our home where we had an 8 year old cat and a temperamental siamese kitten who was 5-6 months old... When my dad brought Tippsy in and put her down, the first thing she did was go after Precious... Well, that didn't last long. A few scratches across the nose and a bunch of hissing and spitting got the point across that that wasn't gonna be tolerated. Tippsy never bothered the cats again.

Now, I have a Mainecoon mix named Minion (he's almost 2), and I've always been afraid that he would get attacked by a dog (he, and all of our cats, are indoor/outdoor due to my mom's allergies), because he loves dogs. Especially, Dixie and Jasper. Well, about 2 months ago, we adopted a 1 y/o pomeranian, who isn't too keen on cats... He thought he's try to chase Minion, and Minion hopped him really hard across the face. :lol: Needless to say, Todd backed off and hasn't tried any funny business with any of the cats since. :lol: I've also seen Minion tell our neighbor's English bulldog off before (which I apologized for but they said it was fine; Lou needed to learn manners around cats :lol: )
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

As with any breed it is good to research to know the built in characteristics of the breed(s) you are getting, with a mix breed you have 2 breeds to research but when it comes to dogs and cats getting along it isn't "breed specific" it is more how the dog was raised. My pure bred chow hates cats but in the 2 years I have had her she is much better at listening to my commands. I don't personally have cats so it is more just when we go on walks that I have to worry about it. My previous dog was a golden/aussie mix and she too hated cats but it was more because she was jealous of sharing me then anything else.

As far as chows being aggressive that too depends on how the chow was raised and if he/she was properly socialized. I wouldn't ever recommend keeping your dog outside, if your living situation isn't such that the dog can live with his people then it better that you leave the dog where he is so he can be adopted by someone who will make him part of their family.

good-Luck, I hope it works out for you