Put her to sleep, she is too old to relocate
9%

Total votes: 11

sugar mc
Rank 0
Rank 0

life changing relocation - 14 year old chow chow

Post by sugar mc »

I need advice. I own a beautiful, but temperamental, cream Chow-Chow dog named Sugar. She will be 14 this June and although she is struggling with arthritis, allergies, and deafness – she is still a wonderful pet. She has been with me since high school, living with me as I traveled to college and even throughout my career until now. I recently relocated from San Antonio, TX to Washington DC for a job. I am very concerned about bringing my dog up to DC to live with me at this stage in her life, but I must make a decision on her future ASAP. I am renting a tiny APT in downtown DC – the city has very limited options for dog owners to take their pets outside. Currently she is staying at my parent’s house in Texas until I decide what to do with her, and they do not mind watching her….but she is difficult for my parents to care for and they have enough on their plate. Also, at my parents she is an outdoor dog and I believe the Texas heat will be too much for her this summer. She was very comfortable at her old home in San Antonio with a back yard and a doggy door to use at her convenience. She has always been quite dainty in her selection of places to relieve herself. The concept of walking far distances from my APT in DC to find a “grassy spot” is going to be challenging with her arthritis. Doing this in the rain/snow is even more disturbing. Her dislike of other people and animals is also somewhat of a hindrance in a busy city life.

So. Do I fly her to DC or put her to sleep while she is still happy in TX? Will she be miserable in DC? How will she handle the plane ride – she HATES car rides!? If she died at my APT in DC I am unsure what I would do with her body? I do not have a vet or anyone that could help me with this yet and it concerns me, the entire disposal process seems like it would be tragic. I also travel significantly and would need to look into dog walkers or sitters. Since she is aggressive this has always been a problem…but I always managed before?

I don’t want to make a decision out of guilt or because it was the easier thing to do. The average lifespan of a chow-chow is 10. My vet frequently tells me how lucky I am that she has made it this long. I really want her to be with me right now, but I do not want to push my luck. I need to have peace with whatever decision I make. Please help
Auddymay

Re: life changing relocation - 14 year old chow chow

Post by Auddymay »

It sounds like you have made your decision and want someone to tell you it's okay to euthanize her without there being something imminent with her health. I wish I could help you with that, but there must surely be more options than you are giving yourself. I would say your parents since they must have been involved with getting her to begin with, but not if she must be outside...why is that? Allergies or another animal perhaps? There is a woman I know in San Antonio who fosters Chows, but she is likely at capacity, as she usually is. I will send her a message and ask her opinion, but should she take Sugar, you would still be responsible for her upkeep. In fact I would suggest making an additional donation of the amount it would have cost you to fly her out to DC. But we are putting the cart before the horse. Let me find out if she can even take her first.
sugar mc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sugar mc »

You are basically right. I am feeling tremendous pressure to put her down. I feel that if she couldn't take care of business or wasn't able to walk, ect...that I would be strong enough to do something like that. But she is just old. My parents do have a cat and a dog, but even those animals are not house pets. And since Sugar does not get along with the other pets she is really isolated outside. My parents are very aware of the upkeep of my dog, I have always been extremely particular regarding her diet, coat, and medication. I know they are not capable of the same level of care that I provided. They also have been taking care of my ill 90 year old grandma so I have to be sensitive about how much of an inconvenience I place on them. I am not opposed to bringing her to DC, just do not want a traumatizing experience. My vet was very skeptical about my dog adjusting to DC life, her anxiety on the plane, and arthritus. I would absolutely communicate to someone who fosters chows before euthanization, but I would question if that life would be a better alternative to DC. I would love to talk to your friend in San Antonio to hear her perspective.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Leaving her with your parents seems like the best idea. Can they really not keep her a little longer, maybe she only has this spring/summer left?! I understand your reservations about Old Dog & the City. There would be many stairs involved too, which would make things difficult as well.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Only you can make the right decision regarding your chow. We can give advice, information, etc, but the decision is ultimately yours. I'm not here to judge you or give you a hard time, I just want to tell you my stories. I'm the crazy chow lady in San Antonio (actually south of San Antonio). I came across similar situations in the past; they have very different endings. The first chow I helped had an owner that moved to a new condo and the 13 year old chow was slightly incontinent so she was being kept in the garage at the new place (June/July in Dallas). She'd had the chow since it was 8 weeks old. I agreed to take her because IMO no chow (or living being) should be kept in a garage (or outside) during their final days. Angel lived another 6 months knowing she was loved no matter what. I had to make the decision that it was time...she was no longer able to get up and was in pain all the time even with medication. So, she was euthanized and I held her until the end. I have her ashes with me and my only regret is I didn't have more time with her.

I tried to help another chow where the owner had already moved and the chow was at a vet clinic until he could find a home or a decision was made to put him down. The owner was less than truthful about this chow and in the end many suffered, especially the chow. Smokey was 7 years old, unaltered and probably had very limited people contact his whole life. Get the picture? He was transported from Mobile, AL by caring people but could not be removed from his kennel because of his temperment. Once I got him to my place, I had to get the kennel out of my vehicle, open the door and see how he would react. He was growling and snapping at me the entire time. He wasn't friendly towards me at all, but didn't mind my pack. I left him outside that night with food, water and a bed so he could relax and get oriented. The next morning I was walking away after setting out some more food and he attacked me. He was aiming for my head and I was just able to get my arm up in time. He lunged again but I was able to move quickly enough. I contacted his previous owner to tell her I wouldn't be able to rehome him after this, but if he chilled out he could stay with me. That same day he came into the house because I'd left the door open. He cornered me in my own home. Then I had no other option. I had him put down at my vet. I'd borrowed their catch pole the night before his appointment and gave him an ACE 1 hour prior to the appt. He was still walking around like nothing happened. I ended up giving him 3 more ACE and he was still fighting me with the catch pole. I held him at the end and also had him cremated because it wasn't his fault he ended up the way he did. That experience cost me over $300, the painful bite wounds and it took a lot of my confidence when dealing with chows, but more so with people claiming they can't keep their pet for any number of reasons. This owner should've had him euthanized before she moved, but chose the easy way out.

So, with all this being said, I agree that moving your chow to DC would not be in her best interest due to many factors. Do you care to say why your parents keep her outside? With the temps in San Antonio, your chow won't live too much longer. It's 90 degrees today with 40% humidity. Do you have any friends or relatives that might take her? Why do you say Sugar is aggressive or tempermental? Is she on medication for her allergies and arthritis? What did your vet in San Antonio recommend?
sugar mc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sugar mc »

Sugar
Sugar
294982_10151575860880265_534165264_23562935_474834645_n.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Sugar is a beautiful and loving dog. She has always been picky about those people she accepted into her life, which ironically my friends always compared her to me in that way...learned behavior I guess. I moved about a month ago and she has been staying at my sisters house since then, but now my sisters family must move across country so I am left with my parents to look after her - which is sweet of them to offer but seriously would be a much more depressing way for her to go. Her breathing is quite labor intense as is - and being an inside dog all her life I know the outdoors in TX won't work. She does not get along well with other animals - tolerates dogs kind of....chases cats and probably would kill one if she could catch one. Recently (due to her deafness I think) she has begun snapping more than usual. I always used to say her bark (which is ridiculous) is worse than her bite. She has hardly any teeth at this point and never has bitten anyone, but it makes me nervous. In DC she would have to share an elevator with other people and animals, walk on very crowded streets, and be subjected to quite a lengthy walk to make it a pee zone. Her back legs give out all the time, she croaks to stand, and I consider her pace to be much slower than a snails. But geez she is happy as a lark to lay on travertine indoors all day long and be spoiled with good food and attention. She is a princess. I honestly am not wanting to put her through more stress, and as much as I am greatful for people like you to care for this breed of animal...I don't think that would be doing anything except making me not do the dirty work for my own problems. My vet is Dr. Mac at Towne North....he has treated Sugar since probably 2003 and while most vets muzzled her and hated her, he could open her mouth and everything. She has taken allergy medicine off and on, but I have been giving her arthritis medicine for at least the last 3 years. It makes a HUGE difference in her ability to move. She has a mass in her stomach or liver - but I chose to not do xrays because I wasn't sure what I would do if they told me it was serious (fret more?)....that was discovered a couple years ago. Other than telling me she won't fare well in an airplane ride (stress/anxiety is high), he just says she is very old and to keep her as comfortable as possible. The lifestyle change would be significant no matter where I take her. I appreciate your response. I feel like a crazy chow person myself right now. Sugar is my second chow to own....I got my first one at age 6 and have loved the breed ever since.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I wish I could help. 14 yrs old is quite old BUT I AM AGAINST euthanasia, so you wont hear from me on that issue.
If living in a city makes your life more difficult if you bring with you your dog, then let her live with your parents. If she is an outside dog. Can you not afford to build her a comfortable doghouse complete with lighting outside your parents home? 4.5feet by 3.5 ft is good enough. Elevated from the ground. There she can die when her time comes (NOT when you decide her time is come).
I would not agree that you give her away to other people for adoption. She had been with you for such a long time, what's a few more sacrifice for your old pal now that she is old and near her life's end. Who are we to peg the dog years at 10 or 11 ? We dont know when she will go. Who knows if she can still have a year ahead of her?

When my Cookie turned 10, I have begun to dread "the day" so every year I was thankful. She lived to be almOst 13. She had arthritis and at night I have to give her some blankies to take care of the cold weather and gave her meds for arthritis. She knows when it is enough of chasing and trying to catch the rat as she has arthritis and getting old. Though she was slowed down by old age, she still took time to greet me when I arrived home and stay near the room where we are sleeping. When she was younger, she always run or trots. Like she was always in a hurry. Old age made her content walking. She died a year ago.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I voted that you should take her to DC with you. I would suggest you see if there is a chow chow group in the area that can suggest vets that will deal with an older chow. If there are no chow chow groups, try one for Pits or Rotties or one of the other breeds with a bad rap.

I also don't believe in euthanisia unless the animal is sick beyond all help or like fillyok describes one that is too aggressive to be properly cared for. There have been several chows on this site who lived until they were 17, and many more that made it to 15. She has been your companion and now she needs and deserves your going that extra step for her. And to me that means making that extra effort to be there for her. If she's still enjoying life then she deserves to have that life to live.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

I too voted you should take her with you to DC

I think finding a place for her to relieve herself is the biggest issue so here are a few ideas

1. if she can't go up/down stairs is to get one of those artificial turfs /fake grass things and set up a place she can go indoors. you would have to clean it often. Or you can set it up right outside the door, it's portable so you don't have to leave it down all the time. It would save her from having to walk long distances.

2. if that doesn't work for you have you given a thought to a doggy wheelchair? if her front legs are in good condition this might work.

3. if her front legs arn't in good working order then they also have strollers for large dogs. this will also be beneficial in that you can zip her in so she can't get at people and pets walking by you on the busy streets.

Thats all I have for now, like others have said, ultimately only you can make this decision. I want to wish you and sugar goodluck.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Great post, hayleedog!!! =D=
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-Unknown-

Devotion (& responsibility) comes with making the right decision for your chowling.

Tess lived to be 17. She had bad hips, leaking urine for years - was on meds. The hardest thing for us to do was to put her down after cancer ravaged her but we had no other choice. That decision, though the right one still haunts us. Just letting you know........
Last edited by Me & Tess on Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I voted to take her too, before I read the posts and replies. If you really can't be bothered to go out of your way to take her, then build her a comfortable little house at your parents place and pay for a dog walking service. At least she'll be somewhere familiar, she will likely grieve for you. She has devoted 14 years of her life to you, you should do the best for her, allowing her to end her days in peace. She could have another few years with you still, without you she'll probably give up.
Thank you Sweatpea
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

I am so very sorry.
Life has left you with a very difficult decision. Only you will know all of the pros and cons of your decision. After reading your story I believe Auddymay has come to the same interpretation of your situation as I. You know yourself and your companion, no amount of input from the outside will ease your mind.This is your life choice, for you to make with the knowledge and devotion you share with Sugar. Unfortunately their is no easy choice, you will live with your decision daily as you are Sugars power of attorney and will speak for her as well, just as you have for many years already. In your heart you know what is best for each of you and what you are able to live with. This is a life choice that is one of many difficult decisions you will encounter throughout your life. Go with your heart, believe in yourself, and be strong. Sending hugs, life is hard!
Bella & Balou
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I voted to take her with you but after hearing about her health issues I am concerned about the flight. All of the issues you mentioned you would have in DC would be inconveniences to you but I don't feel that is a reason to put her down (although I do sympathize). I really think at this point, it would be best that she remain at your parents but she will need a place to be indoors. They don't have a laundry room or bathroom that she could hang out in? I have chows and a cat and also foster chows occassionally and have to keep them separated. It really doesn't take all that much effort to do. They would just need to get a routine. Handling pets in their end of life stage is very hard but I feel that they give us so much that we owe it to them to do all we can for them when they are in need.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I also voted you take her to DC. My thoughts are at her age she will sleep most of the time. The plane ride doesn't turn me on though, is that the only way for you to get there? I took my 14 yr old Chinabear to Georgia from
Florida but we moved into a home and she was still healthy. She passed 2 yrs later and I have St Francis looking over her now but it would have killed me to have her put down just because I was moving. On second thought the lady in San Antonio sounds like the best choice- My heart aches for you. I missed Chinabear so much I waited about 2 months and went looking for another black female and now I have the most beautiful pain in the butt you ever saw.