Lexi has curly hair.. Does your chow have a unique trait?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Staceyvd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lexi has curly hair.. Does your chow have a unique trait?

Post by Staceyvd »

Lexi, my purebred chow has curly hair in her mane, chest and back. Her sister that my parents adopted however, has straight, puffier hair. I feel like she was given curls because I'm a hairdresser and love curly hair and our partnership was meant to be :)

It's not the greatest picture of her, my blackberry doesn't have a great camera but it does show her unique curls/crimpy ears.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Lexi has curly hair.. Does your chow have a unique trait

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My purebred, red girl, Tippsy, had black tips on her ears and tail. :) Not HIGHLY noticeable, but it was special. :) Also how she got her name. :lol:

My black mix boy, Jasper, has a white spot on his chest, plus a polkadotted tongue. :lol: And I just love the way his ears sit. :)

My red mix girl, Dixie, has curls. They're all through her back; most prominently on her rear end. :lol: She gets crinkles behind her ears. :) And she's got a partial black "saddle" on her back (from the GAS in her) and the tip of her right her is floppy. :)

And my orange pom, Todd looks like he's wearing glasses. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

My purebred Chow Cassie has "curly" hair when I got her. It is the result of not grooming her.
Buy a pinbrush or pin comb, and a slicker brush.
Detangle the curls with wider spaced pin comb, then narrower pin comb, then finish off with a slicker brush. Cassie's fur will turn like that if I neglect grooming her for 2-3 weeks straight. SHe'd have curls (rather matted fur) especially under her chin area and downwards. if she got wet during a rainshower, she'll have like that on her back and legs as well.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Rio looks like I have been at him with hair crimpers whenever he goes out in the rain, I think the curly hair-do is so adorable, adds character (like Chows need the help :) )
Staceyvd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Staceyvd »

Lexi is washed and blowdried once a week. She's brushed every day. Her hair isn't matted, it's actually curly.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have seen a couple others with curly hair. She looks pretty young, as she gets more adult hair, she will lose some of that curl, but probably not all of it. I think it's cute, maybe because I have naturally curly hair, too!
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Cam Atis wrote:My purebred Chow Cassie has "curly" hair when I got her. It is the result of not grooming her.
Buy a pinbrush or pin comb, and a slicker brush.
Detangle the curls with wider spaced pin comb, then narrower pin comb, then finish off with a slicker brush. Cassie's fur will turn like that if I neglect grooming her for 2-3 weeks straight. SHe'd have curls (rather matted fur) especially under her chin area and downwards. if she got wet during a rainshower, she'll have like that on her back and legs as well.
Im having the same problem with Apollo. What did you do with Cassie's hair? :)
MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MartMan86 »

Our new pup, Kage, has about 2-3 inches of black on the tip of his tail (he's cinnamon/blonde). As he's grown it hasn't went away so I'm hoping it stays... it gives him a unique look to match his lion-like mane he's growing into.