Paranormal Chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Paranormal Chow?

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

I've been having concerns of my chow, Candace (gave birth last Easter Sunday) who's been barking every night. She was at her last 2 weeks of her pregnancy when it started. She would usually jump up my bed then start barking for hours. usually what I do is scratch her back or her belly (where she usually seems to feel itchy) and some areas where she couldn't reach because of her big belly.

When she gave birth I thought those nights where over, however, she started doing the same thing again every night. This time, we're completely clueless on what is driving her insane! :shock: My mom has been complaining about it since they couldn't sleep well at night. This is now one of my dillemas ever since #-o . Also, she doesn't usually act this way when we're awake or in the day (Quiet, attentive to her babies, sleeps, roam's around for exercise). I'm completely lost. :cry:

I told this to my friend (who happens to be a breeder), and he said that he saw an episode in animal planet where studies have found that DOGS can you know, see beings that nakedd eyes can't. :shock: He even shared one experience when he checked on his dogs then suddenly all of them started barking angrily towards his back but no one was there... :shock:

Anyway, any instances when this happened to you? I know it kinda sounds ridiculous but in case you have any ideas in mind why a dog barks at night then maybe you can tell me so I could put some ease in my mind, and of course put a stop to my Chow's night excessive barking... :cry:
Last edited by mayumiyumei27 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Paranormal Chow?

Post by BeckiHutton »

I don't know what could have caused it, but I think she is probably carrying on because of the attention she got when she barked when she was pregnant. My best advice would be just to ignore it and hope that it goes away after a while. Hope this helps :)
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

I hope soo too... :( We've been doing that for a while but i hope it works...
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I would not advise though that you ignore her barking now that she has puppies to take care of. Inspect when she does bark. You are awake anyway. Always inspect. It could be her puppies in trouble or she needs something. Most often than not, there's a cause. If it's the neigbor's television , well and good. But if its not, you better see what is it she needs. Sometimes, the puppies get lost and the dam can't bring it in the fold.
Turn down the lights, and stay with your dam for a while and wait for her to bark so you know if it is a particular sound that triggers it. Now if you are the one who easily gets "paranormal" fear....
I dont get afraid easily of those things but yes, I had a similar experience but my cookie was 8 months old and was looking up, in the dark , up the tank. When I walked towards her (she was not yet in view), the clothesline moved as if someone (presumably Cookie) snatch a cloth from the line, this thing, it moved the pole where the lines attached so most lines moved. When I came to inspect, that's what I saw, Cookie looking up and in a pointing stance. SInce it is dark about 8pm I cant see what it was she was intently watching - that she has ignored my calls and would not come to me. buT SHE also seemed a bit on the edge or afraid. aND the clothesline does not have single shirt or anything that was there to dry. It's empty. The lines were 5 feet high
I did not think of it too much but after 5 minutes , a "proof" of a large bird circling the vicinity proved it. The bird screetch so I heard and saw it and it was full moon and my sister was pregnant. ANYWAY, I do not think it was an owl as owls are usually quiet and the sound is diiferent. There are no predatory bird also as I lived in a well populated area and if you hear an owl - people think otherwise. As we were not in a forest or near a forested area but a downtown where the public markets are located and stores of all sorts. To me it looked like a Falcon or a Kite. but at that hour??
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bitches need a lot of support when nearing the end of pregnancy and also rearing puppies. In the wild they go off on their own and do what comes naturally but we have interfered with their natural processes now by domesticating them and this causes them confusion. Do they want to be on their own with their puppies which all the natural urges tell them to do or do they want to be with their beloved owners and have them admire and help with their puppies? So hard when they are torn two ways. It must cause a lot of confusion inside them.
They also need to go out more often, get hungry more, and need more reasurance. Have you increased her food and given her a cosy space sepperate from the puppies to withdraw to where she can keep an eye on them but relax too. There are so many reasons she may need you attention but I am thinking more of her practical needs and emotional needs than a psychic being. I think she may well just need your support at this time. When my puppies are born in three weeks I will be sleeping with Izzie for as long as she feels she needs me to. I owe it to her for getting her into this :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

I see. I've been giving her soup, vegetables, some meat, milk, and i'm thinking of adding rice, but sadly it appears that she became picky of her diet. i'd like to feed her more, but she started to eat less compared when she used to when she was pregnant. I'm thinking of changing her diet. I've been adding soup to her food but she would eat a bit and leave the rest.

I've been sweet and been cuddling her, but she seemed aloof and doesn't respond as much as she used to, which makes me kind of feel that she's depressed (or in deep thought :shock: , I dunno :cry: ) I also noticed that she was less cheerful (though she would still kiss me or lick my face or hand when go to her closely. Before she gave birth, I'd usually call her name and she would wag her tail, nowadays, i noticed that her tail has been down, i'd pull it up and it would still remain the same.

Something must've been bugging her for a while and I have to find out. Wish me luck guys. Again, thanks for your replies. It helps. :)
mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

Cam Atis wrote:It could be her puppies in trouble or she needs something. Most often than not, there's a cause. If it's the neigbor's television , well and good. But if its not, you better see what is it she needs. Sometimes, the puppies get lost and the dam can't bring it in the fold.
Turn down the lights, and stay with your dam for a while and wait for her to bark so you know if it is a particular sound that triggers it.
Well the incident always happens at night. Though, yes we're living in a noisy neighborhood and it actually triggers her alot to run to our terrace to check on where or what's making the noise. But her reaction to noise is far from how she acts every night. She would jump up the bed, sometimes bring or toss a ball on it, dig for a few minutes, then bark right after for a couple more minutes. She would rest and do the same thing over. There are also times when my mom woke up because of a puppy crying and she found her that she has the puppy on her mouth (like trying to bring the pup somewhere else). The puppies are safe and she has free access to go to them whenever she feels like it. And they would usually be sound asleep whenever she ask this way.

Could this still be nesting period? But I still don't get her barking and why does it have to be every night. :(

I'll try to check on your advice, but probably on a weekend since I'm usually at work during the night and my mom and brother would be the ones to stay with her every night on weekdays.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sounds like something more practicle like she is sensing a night critter in your home... rat, bird, oppossum, bat, raccoon... whatever roams around in the evening in your area....night critter. Could be nesting in your eaves, in between a wall in your home, underneath a basement, or just in your yard. Her reaction seems like she is trying to get you to get up and find it and get it out and keep it away from her babies. Ask her. Even a neighborhood cat sheltering in a bush for the night could be it.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I think I know now what the problem is. Your dam is not feeling safe wherever you placed her. She wanted to move elsewhere that's why she is trying to relocate her pups. Evidence: pup in her mouth. Time: night time.
HAVE YOU MADE HER PLACE PRIVATE? If you just placed her in one corner of the room where there are people (even you) moving about, and in view She is not convinced it is safe. Thats why she is barking and restless.

That's one of the worse thing to happen if your dam wants to relocate. You must make her a more private den.
If you won't (although I am not really sure if my recollection is correct) : there is a chance she will hurt the pups.

Please imitate something of a cave with all the quietness it also entails. use your imagination. No talking in the area no traffic
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Cam mentioned making a cave, which is what I would call a den. Ursa was big about denning when she was younger and smaller. I used to have a sheet draped over the lazy boy and it made a dark hiding space behind it. That is where she liked to stay. Generally, just a blanket stretched over a couple of chairs would make a good comfort darkened space. Now something that will probably sound ridiculous, but it is what I do. Have you asked your dog what the problem is? If my dogs are barking at something which I can't see and, they find upsetting, I will get down on my hands and knees, look in the direction they are barking and ask them "what is it?". I know they are dogs and cannot answer the question, but I believe that they understand that I am trying to determine what is upsetting them, and this reassures them.