Last week...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Last week...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Last week, a friend of mine called me and asked if I wanted to bring Dixie and meet up with her and her 10 month old pup, Xena, at the dog park. And since I hadn't seen her since around July, I agreed. It was the middle of the day and I figured it wouldn't be bad. So we got there and there was only 2 other dogs there (an older shepherd mix and a younger chow mix, that looked a lot like Jazz) When we got inside the fence, we set Dixie and Xena loose and they followed us to the far side of the park. The shepherd mix stayed over by her owner, but the chow mix followed us, which obviously I didn't mind. :lol: Dixie and Xena took of chasing each other around the park, with the chow mix following close behind. The three dogs stopped running just up the hill from us and were wrestling around doing their normal doggie thing. Me and Jaime were talking and catching up while watching the girls have fun when I noticed the chow mix was mounting Dixie's head and trying to hump her. She kept bucking him off and just showing she didn't like it, so I went up and got him off of her and brought her back down to where we were Xena followed suite and the chow mix went back over to his owner. Xena and Dixie were happily wrestling with each other when the chow mix came back over, this time the shepherd mix and her owner came over too. We were all talking and watching Dixie, Xena, and the chow mix play, when he started trying to hump Dixie again, so I got up and grabbed Dixie by her collar and tried to push the chow mix off which wasn't working; which is when the guy who owns the chow mix came over. He started getting ugly with ME for trying to separate the dogs, telling me I needed to keep my hands off his dog. I told him "well then you need to get yours off of mine, she doesn't like him doing that!" All he did was TELL his dog to get off which didn't do anything. At that point Dixie had enough of him, growled, and bucked freeing herself not only from him, but my grasp on her collar too. The other dog jumped on her again, growling and biting her face, and of course she started fighting back. I yelled "enough" at her and she backed off and took of running for the gate at the other end of the park. Which is when the guy looked at me and said "if your dog doesn't get along with other dogs, then you don't need to bring it here." I blew up on the guy! I started yelling at him, "MY dog?! MY dog!? YOUR dog is the one that started the problem! NOT mine! SHE only got aggressive when HE did!" I stormed off to get Dixie. I could hear Jaime and the other lady there telling the guy he needed to leave. I leashed Dixie up and went out to walk the walking trail with Dixie... We got a good ways out and Jaime called me to tell me the guy and his dog had left, so we went back and had a good time the rest of the time. The lady with the shepherd mix said she couldn't believe the nerve of that guy... I just brushed it off and enjoyed the rest of the time there. Dixie played with Xena and the shepherd mix, and after the shepherd mix left, a woman showed up with a lab and Dixie had a good time with her as well. Of course, idiots like that guy are usually why I don't go to the dog park... That could've ended up so much worse...

This is a pic of Dixie and Sadie (the lab) relaxing in the shade after a good wrestle and game of chase. :)
Attachments
319753_10150640148262832_626317831_9193981_1002505495_n.jpg
319753_10150640148262832_626317831_9193981_1002505495_n.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Last week...

Post by TyChowgirl »

I feel ya. We typically don't have problems at the dog park, though ocassionally some dog doesn't know how to take the chow stance or look (Ty's the only full chow or noticeably chow even, that goes there) and attack him out of no where to which he promptly runs off and tries to get out of reach. He doesn't meet agression with agression, though I've discovered he's not a fan of bullies and won't put up with it either. He's like a referee and will seek out and pick on the bully dogs. Not good, I try and keep him from doing that as much as possible. Today he was just nuts though. We went down and you can tell he'd been mostly kept inside for the last few days. He was being bossy and not listening as well as have a bunch of zoomies to get all of that pent up energy and frustration from the whole hot spot issue out. When we came in though, there was an over weight lab that insisted on mounting him the moment he walked in, which I promptly took him off with some effort (this guy was heavy!) and he continued to hound Ty to mount him. Finally, Ty had enough and started barking in the labs face. Back off. Back off. Back OFF. I grabbed him and sat down with him for a bit for a time out. The people took their dog away. I wasn't complaining really, just annoyed and Ty was getting annoyed. A few days ago these people brought in their small dog and set him down amongst all the other dogs who were sniffing eagerly. He started nipping, growling, and biting at all of them. Then there goes Ty trying to put the dog in its place. He wasn't being rough, mostly play and then the owners were mad and took him away. They told Maggie's owner that my chow was aggressive and shouldn't be there or I should have done something about it when Ty never bit, just play nipped at the most or biffed it with his nose. Maggie's owner told me later and he was like "No, they should have just let them sort it out. It came in and nipped all the dogs and was picking a fight. Your dog wasn't about to let it get away with it and was simply putting it in its place. I didn't think he was being aggressive." Meh. Stuff happens. Thankfully, we're there enough and Ty gets along with almost all the regulars that they all love him and would defend him in an instant. Not that I'm afraid he'll do much.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum is definitely an Alpha male that chases and occasionally mounts other dogs. But thankfully knows to back off if the other dog displays displeasure with his actions.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh was that a man or a "woman"? :D hahaha
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It just infuriates me... The guy had the gall to blame me and Dixie, when it was him. I was the one on top of my dog's behavior and he sat on the other side of the park doing NOTHING until I tried to push his dog off of Dixie. :evil:
Cam Atis wrote:Oh was that a man or a "woman"? :D hahaha
I could've quickly de-*Censored Word* him... :twisted: Because my knife is nice and sharp and will cut through flesh like butter...
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Guys have lost their sense of chivalry. We gotta suffer their ungentlemanliness. Your reaction of separating the dogs is just the right thing to do. And if he has some sense he should have been apologetic in the first place. Clearly, he doesnt have any. Pity.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

i find that theres always a group of total douch bags at the dog park. The ones whose dogs always cause with the quite dogs, and then when the quiet dog finally shows its had enough - they have the nerve to blame you.
They're in every country around the world. Believe me!
Its so bad at my dog park, that I have to take Slush on the outskirts with the other playful dogs so she doesnt get bitten by the crazy staffie again (which, btw, has been biting all the dogs there! - news travels fast in my neighbourbood!).
Doesnt matter tho - Slush is still happy on the other side of the park. Whenever she walks past the "meanies" she just stares at them. Its like she knows.
heheh.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...