Chows and toys

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows and toys

Post by Kaysa »

Muñeco's favorite toys are teddy bears, sure he likes tennis balls and ropes for 5 min, but then he goes and takes his favorite teddy and play with it for hours, he ignores other kind of toys and hates squeaky toys :P My poor sister got him a couple and he just turned around and show her his backside :lol:

So I was wondering what are your chows favorite toys?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chows and toys

Post by chowpups »

Stuffed toys no noise inside. Mostly my kids old stuffed toys from when they were kids..
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Lily doesn't like toys :( she does like the occasional good chew of my sons most expensive toys though: roll: :)
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Matildas favorites-
Stuffed toys- absolutely loves the squeaker. Also loves the little foam cat balls. She loves to barely put the ball in her mouth and then she drops it and watches it bounce. Then it's game on. It's hilarious to watch her on the hard wood floors with the ball. In some ways she does act cat like.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

On the rare occasion that lily does play with toys,she throws them about. You just reminded me oceans. I have also seen lots of YouTube videos of other chows doing the sane thing. I have never known any other dog to do this. Must be another chow thing :)
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily only plays with a stick. Alone or with others. You can see her typical playing with others if you look at my post announcing our new foster. It shows her playing tug the stick with Connie the Pug. She learned from my old girl Pip as a Chowling. I hope she teaches Dillon the art of stick play, I don't think he's into toys. Hard to say from one day, though.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think i got a rare one in Rory. My two previous chows could mostly care less about any toy...Rory loves em all. Anything we bring home becomes his new favorite. We do leave a couple of tennis balls out in the yard and he grabs em whenever he feels like it when he is on the trolley run. Being a loyal NE Patriot fan, Rory also has a football that spouts off when bounced around (not an official dog toy, but he likes that it yells at him). We have one that could go in the microwave to 'warm' from when he was a puppy, and another that goes into the freezer to chill from when he was teething.

Now, he seems to all give them some attention from time to time, but i agree with Auddy about the stick, Rory finds nothing more interesting than a leaf blowing in the wind.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I had some small rubber balls, and Malachi would pick one up in his mouth and "throw" it so it would bounce on the wood floor in the house. He and Ursa would then chase it through the house. This worked out quite well until one day Malachi decided he would chew and swallow one of them. Fortunately he did throw it up later on, but that was the end of the small balls. They would also take the toy mice for the cats and throw them by picking up the tail and shaking their head. On occasions they will bring the chew rope and let me pull it, but that does happen too often.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty is like Rory. He loves all of his toys. I have a small crate full of them. I also have to pick at least a half dozen off the floor every day and put them away lol. He also goes through and plays with them all and dig out ones he hasn't touched in a while. I think the only one he doesn't really play with other than his kong (never cared for it even with cheese or peanut butter) is the kong squeaky stick. He'll pull it out every once in a while but...meh. He also has a lot of plush toys we play with and never tears up. He likes to play fetch with these, and likes tennis balls too. But only in the apartment. Outside is a whole different story. He does enjoy a good stick or pine cone as well. Though, I must say I'm fortunate because his brother Chrysalis apparently tears all of his up. We have some holiday ones I've thought about putting away,...but then he pulls out his ghost or his xmas tree and I can't do it! Brian (my fiance) gives me the "look" sometimes if I bring home a new toy because ours just pile up lol.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

Slush LOVES toys! She loves them so much, that shes even got her own toybox full of things. Whenever she feels like one, she just opens the little box and choses her fave one. Its so cute to watch her chose!!!
We keep a special one aside, its a soft, plush ball with a squeaker inside. When she sees us get that one out - she knows its ON! As humans, we decide when the game is over and put the ball away. She gets a cookie each time the ball goes away so she associates that toy with extreme fun and one on one time! We can now use the ball as a reward when shes been good instead of treats. She goes mad for it :) Very cute.

Do any of you do that?
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum loved his squeeky toys as a puppy, but he is grown up now and no longer plays with toys. He prefers a playmate...preferably a black dog. :P
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Brambles favourite toy is a blueberry which we discovered when one was dropped on the kitchen floor and she treated it the same way she does a spider bouncing both front feet up and down and grabbing it and zooming round in small cirlcles and bouncing at it again to try and make it run away :lol: Eventually she eats it and asks for another one. Vegetables are to precious to play with and are eaten immediately!

Izzie loves nothing better than to play with a ball. She will bring it to be thrown till your arm is falling off and after you give up she walks round picking it up and dropping it for ever. Her favourite thing is to drop it in front of the tv unit, poke it under as far as she can and bark to get you to bring it out again so she can do it again immediately! It gets kinda tedious for the humans but she loves it ad usually does this when Tony is trying to watch his favourite programme :D
She also loves all squeeking toys.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sirchow , I like that about Brambles and the blueberry. I can picture my two playing that way. MissV, I also like the story of Slush and her ball.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa is like Slush with the toy basket. She has lots of toys and she will stick her head in the basket and burrow until she finds the one that she wants. She doesn't really have any favorites but she likes the squeaky ones and she will run around the house with them in her mouth squeaking them and tossing them around. With balls she plays like a cat, throwing them up in the air and batting them with her paws and chasing them. It's fun to watch.
Siriol, I can so picture the blueberry dance, Cocoa plays with spiders the same way.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Teddie's favorite toy is Arleigh-Burke (our other dog - German Shepherd / Golden Retriever mix).

Arleigh loves her toys so when Teddie wants to play she makes a move towards one of the chew toys and Arleigh runs to grab it first, turning her back on Teddie, who gets to bite Arleigh on the butt.

Then she dances away when Arleigh turns to snap at her, then Arleigh turns back to the toy and Teddie bites her butt again. It goes on like this for about fifteen minutes then Teddie trots into the house to take a nap.

I can almost hear her chuckling as she goes. And Arleigh falls for it every time.

Teddie's other trick is to get Arleigh to chase her around the yard, then jump over a low wall and crouch down, lying in wait on the other side. When Arleigh comes over the wall after her, Teddie smacks her on the butt in mid air.

In a flat out run Arleigh-Burke can build up enough speed to over take Teddie, but Teddie's got the moves so right when Arleigh is about to catch her she spins on a dime and shoots away at a ninety degree angle.

It's a ton of fun watching these guys.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

oh oh oh! I forgot to say... when we're tired of throwing the ball around, slush will grab the ball - take it to the top of the stairs, throw it down and chase after it, over and over again!
I really do have to video her doing it and load it onto youtube. Its the cutest thing ever :>
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Our first chow, Cinder loved chewing up frisbees... We found that out when me, my brother, our best friend, and our cousin lost one over the fence into our backyard. :lol:

Tippsy loved nothing more than to shake a stuffed toy around or crunch up a water bottle. :lol: Guess it made her feel like she was killing something.

My mix boy, Jasper, doesn't care for toys really. He gets a Kong filled with peanut butter and after all the peanut butter is gone he couldn't care less... But he loves to play chase in the yard with me and my mix girl, Dixie.

And then, Dixie is a ball fanatic. But she also loves her frisbee and anything else that can be chased. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

My boys do not play with "toys" but they love to carry around socks or my pillow or small stuffed animals. If I offer a ball or actually throw a ball....they look at me like I'm just a little bit crazy! They have no interest in balls..lol
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Thomas

Your account of Teddie and her antics with her toy "Arleigh-Burke" made me laugh to the point tears started rolling down my cheeks. How funny and cute that would be to see in person. =D=
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Like some mothers who keep some of their baby's clothes even after the child is grown, I kept some of Chloe;s toys after she passed away. I'm glad I did. Whitby is settling in more every day and is now starting to play with toys. Chloe had some plush monkey squeaker toys which are about 9" tall. Whitby thinks they are the best things since sliced bread was invented. She'll hunker down on one of them and keep squeaking it until it is very moist from her mouth or toss them into the air and run after them. The funniest thing she does with them is lie on her back and hold one between her front paws then roll back and forth like a cat.

I see a potential problem in the near future. I have a collection of stuffed rabbits, chicks and ducks that I set on my steps to the upstairs at Easter. I've done this since my daughter was small and she is now 31. I'm hoping she doesn't decide they are new play toys for her. I do the same thing at Christmas with stuffed reindeer, elves, polar bears, etc. This past Christmas she didn't bother them, but she was just new here and rarely would go up to the second floor. Do I put them in their usual place or not.? Hum-m-m decision, decisions.