Watches airplanes overhead

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Watches airplanes overhead

Post by TiVo's Mom »

I have never had a dog that notices the sounds of airplanes and helicopters and stops to watch them go overhead but TiVo does. It amazes me. He seems to be so much more aware of sights and sounds than Gulliver (our shepherd-mix) or our other dogs. Is this a common trait in chows or do we have "superdog".
Debs chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Debs chow »

we had a rottweiler named queen we lost this spring that would bark and jump up like she was going to get the plane but also cheyenne our chow will just look up at them and bark. Taz our first chow did it too . I do think the chow is more aware of things that most dog don't care about or pay attention to.

Deb&Al :D
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Don't know if it's a common trait of chows but my newest rescue, Troy who's now 10 mo. old , barks at the sky & alerts me before the plane arrives overhead and then watches it go by. He also enjoys watching T.V. and when my other chow hears a doorbell or a cat on T.V. she barks at the door, while Troy recognizes the sound is coming from the T.V.

Troy also notices himself in the mirror while Sheena avoids the mirror. I caught him moving towards and away from the mirror and actually looking to the side of it, much like a child would. I was rather surprised. Didn't know if dogs perceived themselves in mirrors but apparently Troy does.

It's interesting to watch his behaviors. I'd be curious to know if you have T.V. watchers out there or catch your chows looking at themselves in the mirror.
Jennifer & Sheena
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When we use to live In SF one of the blimps use to fly over at the same time everyday Pekoe would go outside at the same time and wait for it when it appeared she would run around in circles growling and barking at it she knew exactly what time it would fly over. She use to pay attention to Helicopters but in the city she would be looking up all day so she doesn't pay to much attention to them anymore.

Pekoe lays in front of the bedroom mirror and stares at her self all the time when she faces the mirror she watches what I do or will be looking in the mirror at me when I talk to her she knows the difference, if I move she will turn around and look directly at me. I think they know how a mirror works.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow tries to bite planes and birds out of the sky. She's got no sense of space. :D
chris

Post by chris »

Steel hasn't discovered the planes yet, or at least I haven't noticed him notice. He tries to catch the birds in the air though.
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

I have also caught TiVo admiring his reflection in the glass front to the fireplace. My other dogs have never done that though my cats will on occasion.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily has much better vision and understanding than Pip. If you throw anything up in the air, Pip will lose it's location/trajectory. It's funny to toss popcorn at her, it usually bounces off her face, and she then finds it on the floor. Lily was the first dog I ever had that watched the picture on TV, and not just the sound bringing responses.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Firesong will "alert" to planes and heliocopters, MingToy, LiChi and Ming did as well. Darkwind will look up at them if they are especially noisy, low flying or as in the case of a heliocopter recently, circling.

It's the guard instinct to be alert to anything out of the ordinary that crosses into their environment...even if that extends to 40,000 feet.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Only having had a chow for a few weeks now and having had dogs my whole life I am constantly amazed at the things TiVo is aware of. He is much more aware of sounds, movement, etc. Also, he developed a "serious" bark much younger than I remember my other dogs developing it. And, not just barking to bark but actually barking at something. I simultaneously can't wait to see how he matures and don't want him to stop being a puppy.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Since we live on base and close to an airport so if Ivana was to bark at every plane she would never stop!! The pups here hardly notice if they do notice. When all the puppies where still here they got startled at the first bomb after that they never realy cared about any loud noises.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I think Chow Chows are just clever!
Milly and Mabel watch aeroplanes and helicopters and we have a lot flying over. There is an S.A.S. base not too far away and sometimes the helicopters flying over will fly low to look at whatever flag Fred is flying and sometimes they wave if he is in the garden.
Also, Milly will sit on our bed and look at herself in my dressing table mirror and I am sure she knows how mirrors work. Mabel will look at her reflection in a glass cabinet we have. They are both interested in it as Fred has a collection of model soldiers in there and I am sure they know they are "little people" 'cos they are always very interested if Fred gets some out to touch up the paint. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

What amazes me is when they watch TV. That's something most dogs don't do. But all my chows have sat and watched tv with me, usually if I'm watching animal planet and they see the other animals.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!