General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

Hello All,

Been a member a while(circa a month or so), First post today to say hello to all the Chowfam. We got our lovely little Man - Mokoto, just over 5 weeks ago at the tender age of 8wks. so he's just a touch over 3 months now and is thouroughly full of life.

Albeit we've read hundreds of posts so far regarding the intricasies of rasing a happy chowpup we do still have a few questions if the community would be good enough to help.

Biting/Nipping heels(Herding?): happens occasionally, usually with one of the kids. i try to encourage him not to run around screaming as it becomes a game to Moko. Children never listen...

Housetraining: has had a few accidents, only number 1's, but is happening in the same spot everytime. any ideas on preventing this. he has never soiled in the house tho /proud

Feeding: When should i change from 4 meals a day to 3, and then to 2. and also when is best to switch to the adult food. i have found a fantastic link to holistic foods which is: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-n ... index.html

Grooming: What brushes do you use on a Pup? i have the slicker, Toothed comb and a safari pin and a ton of detangling spray.

I understand for most of these topics you have a "Best Of" in each topic. and i've trolled through a few of them. but instead of asking a question in each of them, i thought i'd introducemyself and my boy to the community in one message :)

Regards

Happy Parents of Mokoto.

(Pics incoming shortly)

Edited: made my post less selfish, it is my Mrs and My chow, not just mine :)
Last edited by Mokoto on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Mokoto!

Post by Victory »

Hi and welcome to the site. And we'll be looking forward to the pictures. First how old are your childern, with very small childern it is hard to teach them to be the leader to the chow puppy. But childern over 5 can do it. What I would highly reccomend is you find an obeidence class for yourself and the puppy, then you teach your childern what you learn. How to get him to sit, walk right, lay down etc. Also teach your childern that the puppy biting is not oka. Impress upon them that they should stop all play with him when he does that and ignore him for a bit. If he bites they should say "OW!" in a very high voice and then cross their arms over their chests and refuse to play with him, if he jumps up they should say firmly, 'No. Sit." If you hear this going on and he isn't listening you can help by calmly saying "Mokoto, sit." This reenforces thehat you are the ultimate boss, that the childern out rank him.

If he is going #1 in the house in the same spot, it's because he can smell it there, the best thing is to find something that will get rid of that sent. Vinegar works someinges on plain flores, another product you might try is called Ick out, works great.

The reason are you to feed many small meals is to ensure that they get all the food they need in a day, but don't over tax their little tummies. I'd wait another month or two then decrease the number of feeding times to 3 while still maintaining the amount he's eating. by 8 months you should be able to decrease it to just 2 times per day but keep him on puppy food for a full year. Holistic foods are great, but you will still need to watch that they have no corn, or wheat in them. These are the two most common issues for chows, these two things can cause skin issues and allergies.

Grooming: sounds like you have most of what you'll need, don't use too much detangler though, a chows coat is very dense and if you don't get them dry all the way it can cause hotspots. a good brushing twice a week in no shedding times should be enough,when he is an adult, you will want to add a under coat rake to your grooming tools.

Other than that sounds like you have a good handle on your chowling's needs. Again welcome to the site and ask all the questions you want.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Victory has done really good job of covering the subject.
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mokoto »

Thanks for the responses. Especially Victory! Thank you for the Very informative info of which I'll be putting alot of it into practice.

The children in the house are a relatives, but I will endeavor to get then to settle down around the pup and as you say, I'll teach him what the instructor has taught us, I hadn't thought of that to be fair but makes perfect sense.

I know the chowling is going to take alot of patience. Luckily I'm patient.

Look forward to reporting on his progress as he goes. Been in puppy school for 2 weeks now. Learning alot and putting that into practice too.

Once again thanks for your response, and I promise pics will be up by tomorrow :)
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

About 2 weeks before we got him.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810193.707545.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810193.707545.jpg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

Getting alot of love of the Mrs and me looking....sinister.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810513.564755.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810513.564755.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810445.872607.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810445.872607.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

Having a snooze with his ickle tongue hanging out. D'awwwwww!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810599.385518.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810599.385518.jpg (115.46 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

Rotting his brain.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810673.128497.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810673.128497.jpg (137.37 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mokoto!

Post by Mokoto »

Last weekend playing hide and seek with the Mrs and I.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810729.900357.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330810729.900357.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Love the Chowlings! Welcome to Mokoto and family :D
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

He is adorable. Hide the wires to the game station. He will be teething in a very short while an then everything is game to chew on. My Dreamdancer chewed through a lamp cord and the lights on the Christmas tree. Luckily nothing was plugged in.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Ooooo Mokoto is a TREASURE!!!

I posted on here my frustration with potty training. We, too, never had a poo issue but the peeing was driving me NUTS!!! Thankfully, we have wood floors and ALL the rugs were up so cleaning was easy. We just used Windex because the amonia irradicated ALL smell and the soapy cleaned up anything sticky. Keep in mind we didn't let the pups come near the site until it was dry again. Also, I went to Goodwill and bought some old towels. I think I was washing all five of them every day, almost. But, then again, if I had a human baby I'd be washing diapers as much.

The thing I spent most of my time on was taking them outside ALL the time, almost hourly, and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE if they did ANYTHING outside. I would say, "Good pee pee outside!" or some variance but always a [Good boy] + [Leo or Max], always [pee pee] or [poo poo], (which turned to peeper and pooper) and always [outside]. The first thing I would start saying to them when we went outside was, "Okay boys, let's do a peeper or pooper" or I would say, "Okay boys, find your peeper/pooper spot" or "Concentrate boys, let's do our peeper/pooper" (they get distracted by town noises and sometimes Leo would completely forget that it was HE who asked to come outside). Again, more to make sure I wouldn't have to clean up a mess later, I would take them outside almost hourly and ALWAYS before an event, like a nap, shower or me walking alone to the post office and especially just before bedtime. Keep in mind, this worked for us because currently I am unemployed and have time on my hands to do so.

Some have mentioned to have them stay out as long as it takes for their pup to do their business ... in the great white north that is not always practical so coming in if nothing happens just means we might have to come back out in a couple minutes. It depends on your relationship, the setting in which you live and your own practices. You'll have to figure out how to make that work for you.

The best advice I can give you about mistakes is be patient. Just like with human children NO TWO potty train the same. Max was my little mistake maker long after Leo "got it." Funny thing is, Leo was the one coming to me to tell me Max had to go out. Max still doesn't tell me every time but sometimes he just stares at me a certain way and I just know. (Now, that's funny!) Now that they are almost six months old, their bladders are a bit bigger and they can hold it a bit better. I read on here that they should go out about a half hour after they eat or drink, but as we free feed this doesn't work for us. Leo has become a master at asking to go out and I hate to say it, but maturity has been the factor in them not making mistakes. Knowing their little bladder schedule seems to help, too, as well as a daily routine.

I hope all of that helps somewhat. Potty training was not nearly as fun and easy as some have made out here. But I've had lots of encouragement from other folks and I hope I was able to send some of that your way.

Mokoto is wonderful. What a love-bug!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)