Bells on the door

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

paulfry55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bells on the door

Post by paulfry55 »

I forgot how fast chows can learn of they want too. I put a bell on the door to the outside. So Dakota can ring it when she wants to go outside. She is only 8 weeks old & she rings the bell everytime she wants to go outside. Image
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bells on the door

Post by Sirchow »

=D= =D= =D= So clever =D= =D= =D=
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I remember when I was a child that my parents had friends with a toy poodle that would ring a band of sleigh bells hanging on their back door when he had to go out. I always thought it was so funny and haven't thought about it in years. I do know that our boy, Emperor Ming, will actually knock on our back French doors to be let out and he'll do the same thing (from the outside) to be let back inside when he's finished...
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Dakota is so-o-o cute!

I like the idea of using the bell. It brought back memories of when I rescued my Chloe from a local shelter. I hadn't had a dog for over 25 years and wondered how I would know or how she would let me know when she had to go outside. They told me at the shelter that she seemed to be housebroken. OK?
Once we got home, I took her to the hallway door and down the few steps to the basement landing and then out the basement door and into the yard. She took care of business. I brought her back into the house and gave her one of the squeaky toys I had bought for her. Guess what - after that she would get her squeaky toy and squeak it and walk to the hallway door everytime she wanted to go outside. Yes! \:D/ Funniest thing was - most of my friends caught on that she did this. I had one friend who loved to talk on the phone. She would call me and go on talking forever - so after a while of listening to her I'd pick up Chloe's squeaky toy and start squeaking it. My friend would hear it and say "Oh, I better let you go so you can take Chloe outside." :lol:
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yay! =D= So adorable. I had thought about the bell thing, but Ty does his own little hop skip and jump thing by the door. He'll also start biffing me with his nose being pest like or walk from me to the door excitedly. I've heard the bells work wonders though and can be cheap and easy to make!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When we had Connie the Pug, I attemped to bell train her, figuring maybe she was still not house trained at 9 months old because I was not reading her signals ( I constantly watched her, that was probably not the case, but I was desparate). Unfortunately, she could not catch on to that, either.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I don't have a bell on the door; anytime Dim Sum wants to go out, he just comes to me and taps me with his paw.
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

Butchie and Sundance ring the bell at our slider when they wish to go out....I love it! One more adorable thing to love :P