General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Update and question

Post by abrock_ca »

Hi, All -

Haven't posted in ages, but I have a question and you all were so helpful last time! Also wanted to update you on our chow.

Back story - We found a chow (well, part-chow) wandering the road near us last April on a rainy/snowy night. Ended up adopting him when his owner never showed. He has been the SWEETEST dog. Gets along great with our two Pomeranians and cats, and follows me everywhere in the house. Sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed at night. Totally wonderful.

The vet said he was about 12 or 13, and had had a hard life. He had a weak leg when he came to us, but that recovered marvelously with regular, short walks and TLC - can't even tell it was injured now, though he always lies on the other side so he can use his stronger leg to get up. Anyway, in August, the vet diagnosed him with congestive heart disease, gave us two weeks of pills - pain killer, diuretic, and Vetmedin, said he could keel over any day. (he had been having occasional fainting fits, and the hacking cough). Well, here in Feb. he's still going! We always say he thinks he already died and went to heaven, so what's the point of dying again?

So that's the update - amazing dog, doing better than expected!

But he is getting weaker; more coughing, more willing to sleep in the dog bed rather than the floor, and just overall weakening. I know we will lose him one of these months.So my question is - any suggestions to help keep him comfortable? Unfortunately, our house is top of a hill, so to walk anywhere means an uphill walk on the way back, which isn't great for his heart. He also likes to go cross-country when he's off-leash (we're in the country) so we're starting to take him on leash, as both the cross-country part and the persuading him to turn around when he doesn't want to are hard on his heart as well. (Anyone else notice how stubborn chows are?<grin> probably the most common comment on the forum!)

At his age, we're not going to do extraordinary measures; but we want him comfortable and going as long as possible. Any ideas how to convince a chow to take it easy in his old age? He could use a grooming, but we don't even want to take him to the groomer, as that could stress him.

anyway, not sure there is anything else we can do to help him; but if you have ideas, would love to hear them. And wanted to let you all know that the old Chow we found last April has been an awesome dog, a wonderful companion, and we are so very pleased we took him in! I know I'm going to miss him when he does go, but I know he's had a good last year, a lot better than if he had been left out on that rainy/snowy night.

Anne -California
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Update and question

Post by Yvonne »

Bless you for taking in this sweet guy. Sounds like now you may be hooked on chows like the rest of us on here!

As far as helping him with his condition, I had one that was paralyzed in the back legs and eventually had trouble walking at all. Not the same situation, exactly, but I used a wagon to get him around sometimes as he loved the outdoors. Not sure how large your boy is, or if he would stay in a wagon or would hop out. I was thinking of ways of letting him walk downhill, and maybe pulling him back up. Again, may not be practical or feasible based on his size.

As far as him wanting to walk, I would agree with you that it may just be in his best interest to enjoy the life he has left as he wants to enjoy it (within limits). There are people that way, they would rather have 3 months of relative enjoyment than 4 months of just breathing. Sounds like your boy still has a spirit and will to live - that's hard to watch when their body is giving out.

Mine also lived about 6 months past what the vet said he probably would not. I understand what you are going through - knowing you will eventually lose them, but wanting to do every single thing you can for them while they are here.

What is his name? It may have been in the earlier posts, but if it's in this post I missed it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Yvonne
Brandon's Mom - even now that he's at the Bridge.
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Update and question

Post by abrock_ca »

Whoops, I left the name out!! We called him Jackson - since he's red, it reminded us of Hickory which led to Andrew Jackson and thus - Jackson! Seems to fit him well.

I like the idea of a wagon - My husband was thinking we could drive the car down to the base of the driveway, but that gets more complicated if we don't both go on the walk... A wagon could work! thanks!

Anne