General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sidney
Rank 0
Rank 0

HI Everyone

Post by sidney »

Hello All!!!

I have been reading all the posts on chowchow.org for the last 2 yrs. This is my first post! I too thought that a chow puppy was the cutest thing on earth and wanted to get one myself. But before I did so I did lots of reading. I actually feel in love with the chow chow because it seemed like it was one of the most misunderstood of all the dog breeds. Who wants a lap dog when you can have an independent thinker who GIVES YOU attentention when it darn well feels like it :) . I'm now trying to get all the books I can find on the chow and speaking to lots of different breeders. My question: I am going to San Francisco State this August and am getting my chow puppy around Oct. I will be staying in the dorms but my chow will stay at my mother's house. I will be about 20-30 minutes away and plan on doing all of the walking, grooming, e.t.c myself. But I am nervous that the chow will bond to my mother and sister instead of me. I would like advice. You can do all the reading in the world but sometimes experience is best!!!

Judy-Oh and I must say that Milly and Mable must be the cutest and most dignified ladies I have ever seen!!

Jeff- I think Pekoe is adorable and laugh everytime I read about how many vets (and their technicians) are afraid of her. But to you she is your pride and joy (and rightly so)

To everyone else I enjoy reading your stories about the wild adventures you have with your chowdren!!!

Sorry this post is so long (I wanted to make sure I got everything in )

Thanx so much and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated

:P
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't think you will have any trouble with your new Chows bonding if your going to be doing all the walking and are going to see him everyday. Your Chow may show a slight favoritism to your mom if she is the one that will be around him the most.
Pekoe is with me 24 hr's aday I never leave her for a second but when my wife walks through the door Pekoe whines and barks runs around the house spinning in circles, she goes crazy and follows my wife everywhere she goes. you will probably get the same reaction from your Chow everytime you come home.

What might happen is you may wind up with 2 moms, your Chow treating you like your part of her litter constantly watching out fow you, grooming and bathing you with those Chows kisses before you go to sleep like Pekoe does with my wife.
My wife swears Pekoe thinks she is the mom and that Pekoe thinks she is the head of the house,
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Sidney,
and don't apologise for a long post - we have got to know all about it all! We are interested in it all.
Milly and Mabel are gorgeous - and they are arrogant, independent, playful, self-willed, fussy, disobedient, darned right rude when they want to be, manipulative etc. etc. etc. But we love them and they love us and as you say, give us attention exactly when they feel inclined. They have Attitutude with a capital A. Only Pekoe can beat them and H.R.H. Pumpkin when she was alive.
Regarding bonding with your mother and sister, realistically, you Chow will do exactly as he/she wants. But, I shouldn't worry, Milly loves us dearly and when she came to live with she was six weeks old and our younger daughter and grandaughter lived with us so she had four of us to deal with and we each got what she decided to dish out, the arrogant little madame!
Then, our elder daughter came to see us and Milly was thrilled. Now, our daughter and grandaughter have moved but when our elder daughter calls Milly is thrilled - if she is in the back garden when the car drives up she can see Carolyn through the back gate and through the front hedge. She comes hurtling in, the back door flings open and she almost knocks Carolyn over - crying and grunting and squealing with delight. So I would imagine you will get the same sort of treatment.
Just make sure you put in the groundwork when you first get the little chowling. I cannot wait to hear all about the antics!! :roll:
Mabel is a dear, sweet chow lady - who turns chowling every now and again and hurtles round the garden, teasing us and making big goofy, baby chowling play signals to us - then just when we are in mid game, she stops, struts off and we know then that the game is over. :)
So, cheers - and please tell us more!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)