Certificate of Pedigree

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Certificate of Pedigree

Post by TiVo's Mom »

We received TiVo's Certificate of Pedigree today but I don't understand exactly what it tells me. It lists the name of a male chow at the top and the breeder then underneath it starts with a sire and dam and then branches out to the right all that were bred from those two? It doesn't seem to list his "mother" anywhere? Also, we've had him neutered so obviously don't plan on breeding him, and we don't plan on showing him so is there a reason why I should register him?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

The "Dam" is his mother and the "Sire" is the father. Registration is really up to you. I got Ivana's because it is like her own little birth certificate and family history.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

If you want to take part in the U of Minnesota gastric cancer study, along with his blood sample they would like his pedigree. Tracing the lines is something they need to do to figure out if it's genetic or environmental. Getting him registered might help as well as they may check the registry for blood lines on some chows...

Sorry I'm kind of gung ho about this at the moment.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Victory - I'm relatively new to this forum. Is there more information on the Univ of Minn study? Is this something that is more predominant in chows? Sorry, don't mean to ask something that's been discussed prior. Again, don't mean to ask something repetitive or stupid but is this what Darkwind is going through?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Here's the info from the U of Minn site, which Kiwani also posted under the health forum.

Excerpt:

"Gastric Cancer in Chows and Akitas"

'Our research shows that Chow Chows and Akitas have 10 to 20 times the risk of developing stomach cancer (gastric adenocarcinoma or gastric carcinoma) compared to other dogs. This type of cancer is usually diagnosed when it is no longer treatable and it is fatal in over 90% of cases. Early detection and prevention of this disease depends on recognition of the factors that contribute to causing gastric cancer in Chow Chows and Akitas. In addition, gastric cancer in Chows and Akitas may serve as an important animal model for the study of carcinogenesis (i.e. formation of cancer cells) and cancer prevention.

The purpose of our research is to identify the genetic and environmental factors that contribute to the development of gastric cancer in Chow Chows and Akitas.

In addition, we hope to characterize the genetic and environmental factors that lead to the development of gastric cancer in Chow Chows and Akitas. Lastly, we hope that these investigations will provide a framework for more comprehensive studies, including the mapping and characterization of a potentially novel cancer susceptibility gene, mechanistic investigations of gene-environment interaction, and investigation of cancer prevention strategies.

To explore enrolling your pet in this study or for questions concerning this study, please email us at acc@umn.edu

http://www.cvm.umn.edu/acc/currentresea ... /home.html

This is the second time I've had a chow with this and the really awful thing is that there are few symptoms. Darkwind also has a tumor on his liver which caused a lot of vomiting, but the only symptom Ming had was that he would seem to try to vomit everyonce in a while but always after eating grass. Then there was a serious weight loss and he stopped eating.

And that from what the Vets and the Onocology Dr. said are the symptoms by the time you notice something, the stomach is compromised too far and nothing can be done but comfort care.

The study is to find out if this is a genetic thing, or if it's environmental or some combination of both. A 10 - 20 percent higher incidence is very significant for something that is undetectable and untreatable.
Thank you SweetPea!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Thanks for the information. I can certainly understand why you would be as serious as you are about this topic. I was wondering what age your chows were when they were diagnosed? At similar ages or not?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Ming was almost 10 and Darkwind is just over six. The onocology Dr. and Vets say he is very young for this disease. Also the link Jeff posted in the health forum to another cancer research site shows that he is pretty young, most of chows are between 7 and 12 when they get this type of cancer. So Darkwind is a bit young for it.
Thank you SweetPea!
Laura_M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laura_M »

On the Pedigree, is the male chow name at the top TiVo's pedigree name?
Alfie's Pedigree name is Towmena Degas and Leo's is Rocky the Rebel Coronet!!! LOL.
(¯`·._) Laura, Alfie & Leo (¯`·._)
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

We got to name Chi-Ching, we named his registered name 'Katz's Sound of Money'

Where your dogs name is, it should have two names that go from that, that would be mum and dad....and from each of theirs, it would have THEIR mum and dad, and so on and so forth. It is a family tree basically.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan's neutered as well, but since I competed with him in AKC obedience, we got him registered. Nina's registered as well. It's really neat. We have their pedigrees framed in the office. Their own little family trees. And Rogan's 'full name' is Rogan Ewok Timothy. Not very original, were we! Nina's is Timothy's Little Nina.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart