Whether to get a second chow or not?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

yamyam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Whether to get a second chow or not?

Post by yamyam »

I am considering to get a 2nd chow or not??? Currently I have a chow puppy that is 10 weeks old and her name is Yam!!!
She is a really really cute chow!! She is an angel when she knows that she has company...She is well socialized and can get along with anyone and any dogs. But when she is left alone for an extended period of time she behaves differently when i released her from the crate...she will not listen to my commands....she will be so high in energy but you know her energy is not really balanced and she will bite me even when I said NO to her. I understanding she is teething now but i feel that she is so frustrated for being locked up for so long and she needs to take it on someone or some things. Because of work I will need to lock her up in one of the room with an exercise pen. When I leave for work, she will start barking NON STOP until she gets tired and she will nap. I am away from home 11 hours per day because of work and commuting. That is why I want to get another chow to keep her company! In fact, her sister (same litter) is available so i am considering now...any thoughts or advice? I have also considered Dog Daycare or Dog walker but Daycare is very expensive $35 for a fully day and I don't want to hire dog walker because my apartment keys will be given to strangers. Don't really feel safe.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Whether to get a second chow or not?

Post by sue »

Two puppys together will keep each other company.Whether you have one or two it would be best if you got a walker or took her to daycare 11 hours is too long for her to be left on her own.She will be frustrated as your finding out.At 10 weeks old she is still a baby and wont take much notice of your commands all this will come with training and time.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

You have to do something about this! A puppy can't be left alone for 11 hours! Didn't you do any research before you bought her? Because everywhere I know of it says that this is a big nono!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

11 hours is too long for a small puppy to be left alone, and it is too long for 2 small puppies to be left alone. Right now she's behaving in a puppy way to being left alone, but as she grows other problems may come up, that not listening to you for a bit may well turn into not listening to you at all. She's a baby and needs to bond better with you. Could you get her into Doggie Day Care 1 or 2 times a week? Or do you have a trusted friend, relative or neighbor who could come by 1 or 2 times a day to take her out, feed her, (she should still be eating 3 times a day at this age) take her out for potty and play with her a bit? If not, Dog Walkers are normally bonded, (at least in the US) this means that background checks have been run on them and they are trust worthy people). I would look into them, and really do the research. Your puppy is just too young to be by herself for that length of time.

The other thing you might try is seeing if you could leave work during your lunch hour and get home to her. I did that when my Dreamdancer was very young, I would come home during lunch, and take care of him, then go back, I worked a bit later to make up the time, but it was worth it. I only had about 20 minutes commute time though so it was easier.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I agree with Sarah and Victory, 11 hours is way, way too long to leave a puppy alone. Getting another puppy so you can leave two dogs alone for 11 hours a day is no solution. Although the doggy day care may sound expensive it has nothing on the costs of food, treats, vet care etc. etc. for two dogs instead of one.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Cocoa wrote:Although the doggy day care may sound expensive it has nothing on the costs of food, treats, vet care etc. etc. for two dogs instead of one.
Good thinking!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Thanks Sarah, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this post, how could anyone think that doggy day care for a few months could possibly be more expensive than looking after two dogs for the next 10+ years. :?
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I agree with all of the above. Right now your puppy is way too young to be left alone that long let alone to have two to have to worry about. What you should be doing is taking your puppy for a nice walk (as long as she can tolerate) before you leave and take her out again right before so she's worn out. Also, try and give her something to distract her like a kong filled with squeezy cheese or peanut butter and some safe chew toys. Don't make a big deal about leaving, and practice going in and out of the house to desensitize her to that part changing the length of time each time. When you get home, of course she's going to want to be puppy crazy, not listen, and run around. She's been caged all day! I recommend you don't make a big deal about any of it and when you get home take her out immediately for another walk. I know it's a lot, but that's what you signed up for when you bought this puppy. When she gets older and can hold her bladder longer and need less energy to vent, you won't have to walk so much. The second walk is to allow her to eliminate and also wear off the pent up energy. A little bit after you come back and you both have time to relax, work on a training session and have a play session with let outs in between. This focuses her attention and wears her out mentally too. This will also allow her to learn you commands and earn your trust (walks help too). I hope maybe you can have a neighbor look in on your puppy or a friend/relative half way through your shift. This will help her out for a while and socialize her with other people and it won't be necessary a few months from now when her bladder can hold it better and what not. It was the way I did it (I actually needed my neighbor the day after we got Ty because we unfortunately had to work the same shift that day which doesn't happen often) She was a huge help and only came down when he really needed it. Good luck!
yamyam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yamyam »

Thank you all for your input and advice! I really appreciate it as first time dog owner. I understand that 11 hours away is long time for Yam that is why I post for advice and recommendations. If I thought it was alright then I wouldn't even bother posting. Yam still hasn't gotten her second round of shot so she cannot be at
daycare advised by the Vet. But that will be an option once the booster is applied. For the time being, I took Victoria's advice I will ask my mother to take care of Yam
before she can go to Daycare. Also I will not be getting a second chow at least not right now....the timing is not right. Last but not least, I did do research before getting Yam but I was being misled. Although it was out of my expectations, I will be responsible to take care of her and love her as her companion. Thank you all again.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I would like to say that Chows have amazing control once they are older. my older boys hated the rain and would look out the back door and decide it was not for them. this could be days in a row when weather was bad...but no puppies. They are really easily trained, and very clean dogs, but that amount of time its just too much to expect for pups. If they are caged and just cant make it, they will stress about it. Chows have a very strong instinct not to spoil their homes, and the cage is viewed as his home. From what i have been taught, add 1 hour to the age of the pup, and that is the absololute max their bladders can hold...4 months pup, 5 hours....8 month pup, 9 hours...you get the math. With that theory in mind, your pup will need to be at least 10 months old to be able to wait out the 11 hour day.

Not sure i would recommend it, but my chow is 5 months and is not crated during the day, only for getting used to it for show time. We try to get Rory to see it as a retreat. He is fine during our times away as it is not so long, but if no other options, maybe a 'relief zone'. Puppy pads or i have seen an imitation grass type contraption (similar to a kitty litter box). That would need to be a desperation option though.
yamyam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yamyam »

I am sorry for not being specific but Yam is already potty trained. She has no problem doing her "big" or "small" business within the exercise pen area. In fact, she learnt very fast where to go to do her business. So in short, she does not need to hold for 11 hours. Thank you again for all your inputs.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yam, you should not have gotten a puppy because of your loooonngg work hours. A goldfish is more like it for your pet. It would be fine if you have some human Companions living inthe house to look for Yam while you are away. But since you have gotten the pup already, we can just SOMEHOW find ways to keep your pup from being homesicike what everyone else suggested OR from my end: you might consider looking around for neighborhood kids with moms who have big hearts, and share your Chow with them everyday and pick Yam up when you come home. You might earn a friend too if you know how to give back in a sincere kind of way. Kids that dont go to school yet or does half day of school is perfect. Dogs need constant interaction and assurance. And Chowchows are an old breed and that breed was not drastically modified to lead a life like what your puppy is. Since they are originally hunting dogs you must take them seriously. If you cannot afford a dog walker or doggy day care, you might want to give the pup to one of your relatives who can take care of it more while still young and in a more manageable size. You see, Companion dogs - before they get to that point where they are excellent companions - have receIved a lot of love and training hours from their handlers or owners
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Rory's Dad said:
my older boys hated the rain and would look out the back door and decide it was not for them. this could be days in a row when weather was bad
:lol: That brings back memories, Buddy used to do the exact same thing.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

yamyam wrote:Thank you all for your input and advice! I really appreciate it as first time dog owner. I understand that 11 hours away is long time for Yam that is why I post for advice and recommendations. If I thought it was alright then I wouldn't even bother posting. Yam still hasn't gotten her second round of shot so she cannot be at
daycare advised by the Vet. But that will be an option once the booster is applied. For the time being, I took Victoria's advice I will ask my mother to take care of Yam
before she can go to Daycare. Also I will not be getting a second chow at least not right now....the timing is not right. Last but not least, I did do research before getting Yam but I was being misled. Although it was out of my expectations, I will be responsible to take care of her and love her as her companion. Thank you all again.
Very good, and she will have fun at Daycare when she can go. She'll get much needed socialization to people and to other dogs, which is VERY important for chows. I'm sorry that you were mislead about what a little puppy needs and being a first time dog owner I can see how it can happen, some breeders are sometimes just interested making money not the welfare of the puppy, which is too bad.

Please don't be put off by the harsher sounding comments, some of us have seen it all on this site and react strongly at times. Please come to us with any questions you might have. One thing I can say is that with the wealth of experience on this site you will get good answers to your questions. Also we LOVE pictures, so if you can post some of Yam.
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I was just about to post a similar reply to Victory. With help and some more stimulation and exercise I hope you can find the answere that makes a long and happy relationship for you both. Please dont feel put off from coming back for any other help you might need everyone here is very pasionate about chows and only want the best for them. :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
yamyam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yamyam »

Thank you Victory and Sirchow!!! Thank you so much for your support!! After reading all those harsh comments I was a bit discouraged to come back to this forum but thanks for being sensitive to my feelings as a first time dog owner. I am glad there are kind hearted individuals like both of you. Goodnight...
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

In my experience with the dogs I have worked with, I have often found that 2 small puppies growing up together are difficult to train, learn bad habits from each other and generally spur each other on to misbehave. They're just playing though, but playing gets out of hand and you'll have this for at least the first 18-24months of thier life until they settle down.
HUGE amounts of dominance over 2 pups are needed. You must assume the alpha position from day 1.
I also think it would be pretty hard to do that with you being away for so many hours of the day.

I know whats done is done now, and you have your pet pup, and against what I know, i would say: yes, get another dog. 11 hours is far too long to be away from a pet - and at the developmental stage (where you pet is) is so cruitial that your pet be loved and held and shows as much affection as possible.
If you knew your work situation, you should have left the pup with the mother until 12 weeks. You would have been able to adopt a well rounded and balanced pet.

Please consider opting for a friend or a parent or family to look after your pup during the day - or enrolling it in puppy classes for $35. If you cant afford to keep the pet 100% properly, you shouldnt have gotten it in the first place.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Why the heck do you have a chow chow if you are away from home for 11 hours at a time.
It is not appropriate to leave a dog (or dogs - please God dont get a second one) alone for that amount of time - in fact it is cruel!
I waited to get my chow chow until I was in a position to give her the company that they need - as a breed they really dont cope with being left alone. I take mine to work with me and if I am away for the day she goes to dog daycare or her gran!
I'm really dismayed that you have a clearly very unhappy dog whose needs you have not properly considered. Poor Yam - you should feel ashamed!
Spend your money on appropriate care for your dog rather than another one; or allow the puppy to be re-homed to someone with a clue!

May seem harsh - but TRUE.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I read u'r going to ask your mom to look after your pup but On days when your Yam is alone for 11hrs like if ur mom is not available, PLEASE give her at least 30 minutes to play with you. DONT execute voice commands and expect her to obey ASAP from the time u arrived. Play with her 30min then when she is settled, then you can throw her a few commands like practice SIT (prepare ur treats at hand). But in the playtime time frame (30minutes) DONT TOLERATE harsh biting from her. She will mouth u a lot. Thats how they are. She's still a baby at 10-11wks old. Play means you interact like you let her be all around you, YET dont do tug of war play. You can throw ball for her, but in no way wrestle play or encourage nipping. Time frame would be 30 min play, 15min command training time, then u can eat and fix yourself and then YOU CAN sleep now. DO ALSO same routine first thing in the morning but play can be 15 minutes, train her 15 min and walk her 15min.That'd translate into 13-14 hours or so that u are awake. Such kind of routine is normally done 3-4x a day while they are until 8 months old actuAlly. It can be 2x when they are old like 1 year old already. but if I am ur pup, That 2x from you will do than 10min of "Hi! hello! bye now gotta go" or none at all. I understand you got NO idea how a pup behaves coz you can't say she's well socialized at 10weeks of age. ;) it's like telling me your 11 month old human baby has table manners already.and if she is potty trained at such a young age, I reckon it's because she is a Chow. They are potty trained from the time they are born. :-) if u got another breed, you'll have a different story.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Adopting an older dog to keep your pup company would be another option. One, you take in a dog in need. Two, the older dog can keep your pup company. Three, the pup can even learn good habits from an adult dog. It's a triple win!

Doggie day care adds quick. I live in Metro Atlanta, I just looked up one out here, outside of town, $320/20 days, that's $3840 a year. You know that base price is just the beginning. Like private school they will hit you for every little extra thing.

A dog from the pound...$50-100 bucks, plus shots, $200. If you throw in food and a yearly vet bill and won't be even close to $4k.

It's worth considering and it's a far better idea than another puppy. :wink:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Cam Atis wrote:.... She will mouth u a lot. Thats how they are. She's still a baby at 10-11wks old. Play means you interact like you let her be all around you, YET dont do tug of war play. You can throw ball for her, but in no way wrestle play or encourage nipping.

<snip>. I understand you got NO idea how a pup behaves coz you can't say she's well socialized at 10weeks of age. ;) it's like telling me your 11 month old human baby has table manners already.and if she is potty trained at such a young age, I reckon it's because she is a Chow. They are potty trained from the time they are born. :-) if u got another breed, you'll have a different story.
Never, ever allow your puppy chow to mouth you, or anyone else. They are too stubborn and what might be tolerable in a puppy is NOT in an adult. Chow puppies respond well to time outs. If she mouths give her a five minute time out. Put her in her crate, (I'm hoping she has one if she's alone for that long) and ignore her for 5 full minutes. I guarntee that you won't have to do this more than 2-3 times and she'll get the idea that mouthing people is not going to get her anything but ignored. I agree about the tug of war and other rough type play, this should never be done with a chow puppy. I want to say here also that what ever you DON'T want her doing as an adult do not let her do as a puppy. If you don't want her on the furniture, then she stays off it now, bed the same thing. Oh, and don't be surprised if she looks at the ball you toss and then looks at you like, "Why did you do that, now YOU have to go get it." Toys that she can play with like a cat would are often better with a chow.

And no she's not fully socialized at 10wks, she's just a little puppy. However, at 6 or so months you should see a confident, outgoing chow if you make sure she has a lot of POSITIVE experiences between now and then.
Thank you SweetPea!