General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hello and Update from Alaska

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hi all!

I hope that everyone had a great holiday season and are surviving the winter just fine (for those who are IN winter! *L*). I see a number of newer handles here since I last posted. Hopefully the "regulars" are still around and haven't faded out like I have. I don't make it here very often, in part because I'm just not online like I used to be.

But I did want to share some news. Khana has been chosen to play "Sandy" in the musical Annie, which is being put on by a theater group in the next town over. I have to admit that I didn't realize what a huge commitment this was, but we're going with it regardless. Rehearsals started in November, and initially all we did was come to some of the vocal/dance rehearsals so that Khana could get used to the people, the noise (tap shoes are LOUD! *LOL*), etc. I read through the script and chose some behaviors to work on, like crawling, and made a basic plan of how to incorporate her trained behaviors into the musical.

After Christmas the rehearsals moved onto the actual stage at the high school. There are rehearsals EVERY DAY (6-9 PM on weekdays, 11AM-5 or 6 PM on Saturdays, 3-7 PM on Sundays) and for the most part we're at all rehearsals. Khana is called onstage by Annie when Annie first discovers Sandy, who has escaped from the dog catcher and is dragging a catch pole (I made up a mock one out of a length of dowling and a simple slip lead, adjusted so it can't choke her). Annie then has a conversation with the dog catcher and has to call Sandy to her, and on the last call Sandy runs to her and the dog catcher says "okay, must be your dog" - dog catcher leaves and then Annie sings the song "Tomorrow" with Sandy by her side. Next scene has Annie and Sandy going onstage into a group of street people (Annie is looking for her parents, who left her at the orphanage 11 years earlier), and Sandy goes with her throughout the scene. Then when the police come, Annie drops the leash and Sandy runs offstage (back to me). Later, after the New York scene, Sandy crosses the stage alone (I use treats to get her to put her nose down and wander across).

At the very end, Sandy comes out in a big Christmas box and is revealed as the Christmas present. Before that we are considering a couple of other cameo appearances by Khana, maybe having her peek through the closed curtain just as Act II starts, and maybe wandering into Warbucks office to look for Sandy. I can set up both of those pretty easily.

It's been fun but sure is time consuming, and I have such poor stamina due to the rheumatoid arthritis. But my part is pretty minimal - I do a lot of standing offstage .. *L* Khana is loved by everyone, and struts around like she owns the place. When we first arrive at rehearsal, I let her run down the aisle in the auditorium and greet people as I follow with her pack of needed items (water, bowl, treats, etc.) She's taking to stardom pretty darn well! She has such an amazing, kind, accepting nature and we've actually had to caution the cast not to bother her too much because everyone wants to pet her.

Tazer, my little German shepherd, may be the dog that is already caught by the dog catcher and is riding in the crate that's pushed across stage. She's not nearly as well trained as Khana but she can certainly handle riding in a crate! *L* They were going to use a stuffed dog but I suggested Tazer instead to help keep the authenticity of it all.

Other than that, not much has been going on here. We're surviving a kind of brutal winter - lots of snow, then bitter cold (been down below zero for more than a week now). I can't really complain as I choose to live in Alaska! *L* But I'm looking foreward to summer already.

The musical performances start February 17, and there are nine performances total with the last three the first weekend of March. The cast has more than 70 people in it, not counting technical crew and orchestra. BIG performance for our little area! I hope to have photos after a bit and will try to share when I do.

Take care everyone, and hope that all is well!

Melanie and the girls in Alaska
Khana and Tazer
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hello and Update from Alaska

Post by Sirchow »

It is ages since I saw a post from you but I was away from the forum for a while so you may have been here then.
That is quite a task you have taken on there with the musical and good for you. I know either of mine would wreck a musical without a doubt but I remember how good you are with training. Well done and I hope it doesn't prove to tiring for you. Beautiful Khana is amazing and I am sure she will steal the show for many she is such a clever girl :D We will need some pics here of her in her role on stage.
I hope the summer hurries along and that you stay well...I know the cold must be very hard on your rheumatoid arthritis.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I was just thinking of you last week and wondering how you're doing with all the cold weather. Winter finally came to Minnesota last week and it's been well below freezing with some snow, (not as much as you thank the powers!) Glad to hear about Khana, she is such a truly exceptional chow and I hope you can get the pictures of her in the play and post them for us.

Me and my two are doing okay. I got laid off in Nov. but we're surviving. Hopefully, I'll be back at work soon. We are also going to be moving in two months, and I'm sort of glad and sort of dreading that. Hope spring comes to all of us soon and lasts for a while.

Take care and let us know how you are when you can.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Great to hear from you, Melanie! I know Khana will be the perfect actress. Tazer, too :)
Hope all is well with you, too.
Shiloh & Nahkohe are hanging in there - Nahkohe just turned 8 and Shiloh will be 9 in June - time passes so quickly.
Take care,
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh