General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to make decision on which puppy??

Post by Redalbi »

Hi all

Was away looking at puppies again tonite, cant believe how much they have grown. They are so cute and chow like now.

Have major dilema 2 available 1 black and 1 fawn. Both so cute how do you decide. I have preference towards lighter chows and fawn is so cute and has lovely face. Black would not have been my first choice but is absoloutely stunning, very square and sturdy.

Need to make decision asap

Help

Karen x
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How to make decision on which puppy??

Post by Cocoa »

I don't know what to tell you, I would have taken Cocoa's whole litter of five if I could have. I had always had blacks and was sure that I wanted another black and a boy this time but on meeting the puppies I fell in love with Cocoa (red & female). I am so glad that I chose her and with her being a different colour I find I am less likely to compare her to Buddy or Baby.

Karen
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Thats a tough one, are you just looking at pic or seeing in person:?:
Its seems easier in person cause you usually seem drawn to one. Or in my case I was drawn to one but the hubby wasnt so I just let him chose :D
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

If you have a preference towards fawn go with the fawn!
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Hi

Thanks for comments.

Met the pups in person. Think what was strange was that I went for sure would be fawn one or none at all. But black just so stunning really shocked me that was drawn to it. Only because as said lighter colours normally are what I go for.

My son has fallen in love with fawn one mainly I think because it is easier to see face and expression. So I think black he thinks fawn.

Live not far from me so think just need to go back and decide from there. They are special in different ways

Fact is no matter which pup we choose we will love it.

Karen x
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Do you know I really dont think it matters which you choose. I always wanted a self red and rejected a few puppies unseen because they were the wrong colour and then the breeder rang me about Izzie and I never had wanted a black and somehow it just happened. At the same time I was talking to her breeder another breeder sent me pics of five self reds and none of them popped out at me so I went with Izzie and never even once (and she was a difficult puppy) did I regret it. I asked myself how I would feel if I couldn't have her and I just knew I would be broken hearted so I knew for sure. Which ever you both choose I cant wait to see the photos and I am so glad they are feeling right for you now after all you have been through. Maybe one day I will meet you at a chow show. We really dont live that far appart!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Thanks Siriol

You are so right, going to see them again tonight. My instincts say black so think that is right. Heart leaning towards fawn but think that is all to do with grief still for albi. Black gives a completely fresh start just something special about him.

We do live really close so hopefully one day will meet up. Would be lovely to see Izzie and Bramble in the flesh(or fur!!) just such beautiful dogs.

Thanks for all your help and support through these past few months.

Will let you know which I finally decide on.

Karen x
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

OH and I wanted a red girl when we were looking for a chowling. We got really close to having one shipped to us, with only having pictures to look at as chows are pretty scarce around here. And then there was an add in the paper. We came home with Henry the next night, we had to choose from 6 puppies in total, we got the best one for sure \:D/
Thank you Sweatpea
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Piff Poff, Henry is beautiful, I love the black bears.
We got really close to having one shipped to us, with only having pictures to look at as chows are pretty scarce around here.
Chows are pretty scarce around here as well (Vancouver area), they seem to be way less common than they are back east, not sure why though.
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Henry is gorgeous.

Went along last night to see puppies again. Black one is definitely special and has a wee personality. So I decided to go for black. Mistake I made was to say that Matthew my son could choose pup but I have now over ruled him and he is distraught. Cried last night and this morning before school saying he loves fawn one.

I too had a restless night woke up at 5.30 thinking have I done right thing should I go for fawn. The fawn is so cute and probably a lot nearer to Albertz which is what I think Matthew sees. I think the problem is that the black one is definitely ahead of the pack, they are only 4.5 weeks at mo. I am sure the others will definitely catch up and we would then both know 100% which is right as would see all personalities. Albertz was 11 weeks when I met him and it was love at first sight.

So much experience on here, please tell me in another couple of weeks do you think would know better as at moment black definitely does stand out but fawn as I say so cute too but think colour will change in him a bit and still to see wee personality.

Breeder has been really good with us as friend of friend but am starting to feel pressure of having to make decision right now. But that is what they are asking us to do so they know which boy is available for sale.

Sorry to be a pest. I know in my heart that I will love either boy but just want to get it right.

Heart says fawn I think because nearer to Albertz but instincts say black. Think I am going crazy just feel should be easier than this.

Karen x
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

How would your son feel if you said...if we get the black puppy you can name him all on your own....Yep you might get a wierd name but I think it might swing it.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Sirchow wrote:How would your son feel if you said...if we get the black puppy you can name him all on your own....Yep you might get a wierd name but I think it might swing it.
That's kind of what's going on with my grandson, He didn't want a new puppy he wanted Nikki to come back, so I told him he could name the new puppy and that worked, a girl will be Lucy Loo and a boy will be Brownie,Whitie, or Blackie depending on the color. Now he is only 3 yrs old and by the time I get a puppy he might not even remember the names but I have a feeling he will remember, Not my choice of names but hey I can get over a name, heck I don't even care for my own Name..hehe..
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I would definitely go for the puppy with the most personality.