General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Preswylfa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help required Please

Post by Preswylfa »

Hi
I am close to Mobile, Southern Alabama and although I show my poms I have my chow with me also.(all brought with me from the UK and shown previously ) I am looking for information of breeders as I would now like to add another chow to our family .. I would like to be able to show the new addition also when I find the right one for us as I have shown all my dogs in the UK previous to moving to the USA.
I am willing to travel for the right dog for us
Any help would be gratefully appreciated :D
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Help required Please

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hello from Gulfport, MS. I don't know any local breeders, but I am glad to see someone else from the gulf coast.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Sent you an Email

Some for sale here: http://www.shanghaichows.com/
Morriston, FL
413 miles, 6 hours 48 mins, from Mobile
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Preswylfa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Preswylfa »

Thank you .. got email :)
Oh am not necessarily looking for a local breeder .. am willing to travel wherever I need to go for the right pup lol
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

All the breeders I have experience with have all cream puppies at the moment, which are most likely all disqualified from showing because of their non-black noses :(
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Cream chows are allowed to show with lighter colored noses... at least that is how I think it is here, don't know if it's any different in the us
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

It actually is different. UK and Canada allow the discolored nose, the US does not :( There is a petition to change it.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I hope they do change it. I don't think it should matter what color nose they have. Ty is a creamish red mix and he has a two tone nose, but mostly pinkish brown, black toward the bottom. (I say creamish red mix because it depends on the light and we're not quite sure what to classify his color...red or cream. Daddy was an offspring of a cinnamon and cream, so he was a light red with a cream undercoat, then Mommy was almost a pure white cream so Ty is a lighter version of his Dad it seems) I mean the only huge awkward disqualification would be like a blue or black with a brown nose I feel.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I'm coming into this a little late, but wanted to recommend an excellent Chow breeder. Look into Redcloud Kennels - Zola Coogan, along with Paula Titon. Zola has been a Chow breeder for more than 30 years and a few years ago had a write-up in Chow life. Paula and Zola co-own a red male who was the first Chow EVER to pass all six OFA certifications (hips - EXCELLENT; elbows; patellas; thyroid; cardiac and eyes). He is passing on his good genes successfully, and my little girl Khana is one of his offspring who has also passed all of these tests. His brother and at least one other pups produced through him are also on this list (and last time I looked, only 12 Chows had passed all six tests!).

In addition, they are breeding for excellent temperament. And they show their dogs as well (Khana's pedigree has more than two dozen champions) and Paula has been putting obedience and rally titles on her dogs, too. So they're very well-rounded, working toward producing Chows that are physically and mentally healthy as well as intelligent and capable.

Redcloud is based in Maine, but if you're looking for a well-bred Chow it's worth the trip.

Good luck!

Melanie and the girls in Alaska