Dead pee spots in the yard.. Help!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

backinidaho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dead pee spots in the yard.. Help!!!

Post by backinidaho »

Help.. my lawn actually.. anybody have any ideas on how to avoid the dead pee spots.. It appears it is only my female that is causing it. Before I try over the counter stuff, thought I would ask for what works best? Are their any natraul products? What is it about tomato juice? thanks for any help..
the proud human in the house with three chows, Whiskey (red male 14yrs), Bailey (black, female 5yrs), Ceaser (cream male 4yrs)and one adorable daughter of 8yrs.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I don't know about natural products but they do sell products you can put in their water to help with the problem. I've seen it in PetSmart.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

I can't help you but saw the names of your babies and had to post. My female's name is Bailey! She's a 7 month old cinnimon.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

I heard sprinkling sugar over the area helps, but I've never tried it. For me it would be a futile attempt. All 3 males pee over the 2 females spots. The grass doesn't stand a chance.

But I have noticed that with all the rain here lately in the northeast, there aren't many brown spots this year. So maybe try wetting the area down well after you see her go.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

When Zhu was a chowling he unfortunately would brown out a spot in our neighbor's lawn, right under the tree, nice place to lift/squat actually. His vet said the good thing is Zhu is healthy and has plenty of nitrogen in his sytem. The bad thing is the neighbor will just have to understand. However, what my neighbor did was he just kept watering that area to rinse off my boy's pennies. Worked real well. Note: that neighbor has/had the most well kept lawn. So chances are he was also adding fertilizer and the such that might have doubled when Zhu spent pennies on it, thus browning out the spots.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I have read (Organic Gardening, I think) that feeding your dog a tablespoon of tomato sauce each day with their regular food will change the PH of their pee and thus eliminate brown spots on the lawn. Not sure if this is true, but harmless and worth a try.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

I actually just noticed this morning that little Magda is making brown spots in my grass (Chuy just browns the edges of the plants and bushes he happens to hit when he aims). But actually, this is quite alright with me. I hate mowing grass - what a waste of time, energy and money. I'm in the process of landscaping my yard with huge flower beds and will be leaving just enough grass for a "potty area" for the Chows. The more help I get from them in killing the grass the better. :lol:
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "will change the PH of their pee and thus eliminate brown spots on the lawn."
---

Changing the urine pH long term, can also open the door to other problems in the bladder.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

--off topic---

Backinidaho, would you be open to place your marker on the frappr map? It's the first post on the General section. I just enjoy seeing where all the chows live and you have 3 in IDAHO that are peeing your lawn brown!!! :lol: Thx.