Breeder from Renfrew, Ontario

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sampsonsmile8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Breeder from Renfrew, Ontario

Post by sampsonsmile8 »

I'm wondering if anyone knows Kathryn Langdon-Sparks from Renfrew, Ontario? We got a Chow through her 9 years ago and he is wonderful. I heard that she was breeding again. Is this true? I need to get in contact with her.
Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.
Thanks!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Kathryn-Landon Sparks - dog abuser?

http://www.webhart.net/ospca/news.html

Scroll down to February 2003 - click on link.

"Pled Guilty - Kathryn Langdon-Sparks was fined $1000.00, faces a two-year prohibition from owning or having custody or control of any animals or birds and a two-year probation forbidding her to reside with any animals. "

Click here for more of the story and some photos of one of her abused dogs:

http://www.geocities.com/trueloversofch ... Chows.html

I hope, for the sake of the dogs that come under her "care", that she never breeds again. She has a gift for spinning really big stories but the reality was very different. I remember her from some 7-8 years or so ago, on a chow list I was on - she would tell great stories of her rescue work but then it was found that she was neglecting these poor dogs. There's just NO excuse for that.

Please find a good breeder. I'm glad that you ended up with a puppy from her, only because that pup probably had an opportunity for a great life. But many of her dogs did not.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Boy that has to be shocking news for someone to find out, talk about a backyard breeder. Wonder who busted her. Good you had that website.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear!!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Oopsy. Don't let this discourage you. There are plenty of reputable breeders out there, you may have to look a bit, is all.
chris

Post by chris »

Damn... know what though.. I have tried to keep in contact with the people I got Steel from, but to no avail. They never respond back. I even Snail mailed a card and pictures... who knows... :? But at least I have Steel. :-)
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I was pretty abrupt in that first post .. but I was kind of shocked to see someone looking for a puppy from her again. She was such a deceptive person, running a "rescue" and continuously talking about how much she did for the breed, and then to find out that she was neglecting and abusing these poor dogs was a real eye-opener.

Anyway .. to the original poster - there is a very active club in Ontario that could help you find a reputable breeder. Here's the contact information for the Maple Leaf Chow Chow Club:

Corresponding Secretary Fran Johnson
RR2 PO Box 182
Lucan, Ontario N0M 2J0 Canada
(519) 227-0345

Although most of the people in that club are probably show breeders, they may be able to point you to someone who has some pet pups for sale too (nearly all show litters have some pet quality pups). Be sure to ask for health test results (hips and elbows, eyes certified, etc.). Just because a person breeds for show doesn't mean they do all the proper testing.

Good luck to you in finding just the right chow to be a part of your life!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Thats horrible those poor pups. Too think she acted as a rescuer and she could not even give them the most basic of care. I can't beliefe sh only got a slap on the wrist for what she did. I was under the impression that those who rescue had inspections. I guess that is only in certain counties. Horrible Horrible woman.

That said some show dogs or breeder dogs have "retired" dogs for sale so if you would not mind an older dog you may want to look into that as well.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh my gosh, how awful. :cry: Like Jeff said, thank goodness you knew that Melanie.

Sampsonsmile8, good luck in finding a good breeder and a wonderful chow chow.

Chris, look at you!! You are just wonderul... you've even tried to send snail mail and pictures of Steel to your breeder, that's just so caring of you. Everyone on this site is just so great!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

What is snail mail?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

What a shocker to see that this person abused animals. Melanie - glad you were able to find this out.

redangie24: snail mail is regular post (vs email)
there's also "sneaker-net" which is distributing information via someone walking from in-basket to in-basket with the mail
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

redangie24 wrote:What is snail mail?
Snail mail is a derogatory term which refers to the slow speed of our postal delivery service when compared to e-mail which is
almost instantaneous.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, that makes sense thanks guys for not laughing your asses off at my lack of net ed!!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I had read about that breeder from another board I am on. What a shame. Those poor pups. I had forgotten what her name was tho. Happens with age I guess. :) I'm sure glad Melanie stayed on top of it tho.
Nancy and Tai

chris

Post by chris »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Angie... :wink: