SOS, Diet Help Desperately Needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

QuonShen's Mama San
Rank 0
Rank 0

SOS, Diet Help Desperately Needed

Post by QuonShen's Mama San »

I recently adopted a 9 year old male black Chow Chow I called Quon Shen from a local animal shelter (shelter, not a rescue). He is wonderful but of course will require a great deal of patience to overcome his experience. Major problem is his diet. He came to us from the shelter being fed whatever they'd been given as donation. His breeches were a bit dirty from loose poops. We cleaned him up, did a bit of research and tried him on the Taste of the Wild Fish blend. He really didn't like it. We suspect 1. that he was kept tied or kenneled outside by the extensive rusting on his fur & that we had to teach him to ask to go out and 2. that he was fed on a low quality diet most likely beef even before the shelter.

So because he shows more interest in beef but we were concerned about his proteins and digestive abilities we tried the Taste of the Wild Lamb. He liked that a bit better then the fish. *sigh* Then I read it is better to water (water only, no gravy) dry food so that it will expand before he consumes it (and not afterwards in his tummy when he drinks where is can cause bloating and gas). So I used warm water and he seemed to like the soupy version but was still reluctant. Hubby decided to try a bit of canned Ol' Roy Chicken chunks (with no preservatives) with his dry and he liked that a lot better. But then he started farting, hunching over to poop but nothing coming out, asking to go out more frequently with no success in doing his business and occasional fast fits of trotting around the house and panting. I suspect tummy troubles. It was undoing the routines we've been working on with him.

Tonight I gave him 2 cups Taste of the Wild Lamb souped with warm water, and mixed in 1 raw egg, 1 heaping tablespoon cottage cheese and 1 tablespoon tuna for his din-din. He loved it. He is more relaxed and he just had a soft poop. I was thinking I could add a bit of rice and vegetables, cut the tuna with occasional bit of real fish filet or chicken. Can I use sardines on occasion? Should vegetables be raw or cooked? Could I add a bit of probiotic natural yogurt to help his tummy, maybe once a week?

Vet thinks Chows are same as other dogs and wants me to buy their dog food. Help.