How do you manage nail trimming?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

How do you manage nail trimming?

Post by Sirchow »

I wonder how everyone else does nail trimming? Izzie is a dream and never moves...usually drops off to sleep if I start filing to get them nice for a show and is happy to lie on her back with her feet in the air for as long as it takes. Bramble is the complete opposite. If I get one cut a week (nail not whole foot even!) I am doing well to be honest and her nails are always on the long side for this reason. The only time I got to cut most of them in a sitting was when she had an allergy of some sort and was chewing on her front feet so hard she didn't even care I was cutting the back ones. :shock:
Just wondering how the rest of you do with nails?
Nails Izzie style :D Image
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: How do you manage nail trimming?

Post by Victory »

with a lot of patience and a lot of bribes. Firesong is pretty good, though I don't like doing her's, can't see the quick well. But she wears them down wonderfully on the concrete even the high ones. Dreamdancer on the other hand I have to do one at a time and wait, then do the other...luckily again, he wears most of them down on side walks, just have to do the dew claws, but he hates that...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

If I didn't see the photo I wouldn't have believed it..I must admit if it was Nikki there would have been a tranquilizer gun in use..(only kidding) Nikki could use something to settle her down you would think we- are doing major surgery on her.. something must have happened cause Nikki use. To be very good, but not now..I have the vet do it now and let them work up a sweat it's well worth the 8 dollars. Izzie is such a chilled chow...Nikki falls into the Bramble Category ..
Too cute Izzie..
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Jazz and Dixie wear theirs down on the concrete and digging in the backyard. :lol: All I have to worry about with them are their dew claws and they're ok with those... Most of the time... :lol:

And with Tippsy's, she was good. Like Izzi she just laid on her back and let me do it. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble used to wear hers down on the roads and pavements like Jazz, Dixie, Dreamdancer and Firesong but I have to limit her road walking since she was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia. :(
I need to find bribes that work better.
Bramble is def the same school as Nikki she considers it full surgery without anasthetic :shock:
Izzie is so chilled it is sometimes difficult to tell if she is still alive :laughloud:
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have to go slow when I trim my dog's nails. I lay them down, and clip away. I just have to take very thin clips. I use the regular guillotine style trimmers. Ursa is the best with it, because she will roll on her back for me and almost fall asleep. I try to clip Malachi when I find him laying on his side. He tolerates it, but really doesn't like it. Some of this is due to my son cutting the quick one time when he trimmed his nails, so I now have to do it. I think Malachi has ticklish feet. I say this because I was trimming the hair that grows up between his pads, and just touching the hair makes him move his feet.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

As with brushing Tiberius, I wait till he's resting so he's in the calmest state of mind, almost sleeping. By then he lets me do whatever I need to do to him without much argument. I also typically don't have to worry about most of his claws due to pavement. If it were anyone else, I'm not sure he'd be so willing to have it done. Though, when he gets sick of me brushing him sometimes he'll just get up and walk away sometimes with a small sneeze or huff lol
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! I love the photo od Izzie getting her nails done. \:D/

Our three are laid back too and the way to check if they are alive is to say their names quietly and wait for the tiniest twitch of the ear! Don't blink though or you will miss it!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Tyton thinks he is having major surgery done and runs and hidesif he sees me coming with the clippers. Phoenix is becoming the same way. I think her brother wispers in her ear. I can do anything else with them but don't let them see the nail clippers .Hee! Hee!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I wish I could find a way to convince Bramble that it is quite normal and nothing to be scared of. Alfie used to be like her but he is so jealous that when he saw Izzie getting attention he decided it was worth the nail clipping to get it so he has improved a lot but not my girl.....I feel it may be a nail clipping day today.....Oh well....one down seventeen more to go :?
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Unfortunately, both Bella & Chumley fall into the Bramble category. :( Bella is a daddy's girl and will do anything just to be in his lap. So usually he holds her with her back against his chest, feet pointing outward, and off I go. Chumley is another story, I am lucky to be able to get one without him moving. Once he moved & I accidently cut into the quick :oops: ...I panicked & drove him to the vet getting blood all over the leather seats in the process. I needed a valium but Chumley was just excited to take a ride. Life with chows is always an adventure :D
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

A styptic pencil is something to add to the pet medical kit. It will stop the bleeding from such a cut.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Yeah, lesson learned..lol
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

In an emergency flour or talcum powder stops bleading. Just take a big pinch or small handful and keep patting it onto the area till it soaks up blood and starts the clotting. It works really well and is worth remembering as I discovered the first time I cut Izzies black claws a bit too short and it was late and I was in on my own. I just thought I would try it as I had no car to get to a vet and there was a lot of blood! I have since perfected my cutting skills and dont often make that mistake thank goodness :D
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Thanks sirchow, that is really good to know in case I run out of the styptic powder 'cause it took me months to get the stains out. Not to mention the explaination every time someone got in the car.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

For how wonderful J.D. is he absolutely hates getting his nails trimmed. I have no idea why, since we've had him since he was a pup I've been there for all trimmings. I have the vet do it, it takes two assistants to do it, one to hold him down and another to actually trim. It's the only time he's ever growled at someone. I don't know that he would have gone as far as to bite, but they do muzzle him now when they do it just to be safe. As soon as they are done he is all over them giving them kisses again. He doesn't even care for me brushing the hair on his legs and feet very much. I would be hesitant to try and trim his nails myself anyways since they are black, I'd be upset if I cut back too far.