Holiday

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Holiday

Post by chrissybrook »

I thought I would just say that we have just dropped our little Maya at kennels for the first time as we are going on holiday early tomorrow morning for about 12 days. I guess I should be looking forward to my hols, but all I can do at the moment is think of her in the kennels without us :(..makes me not want to go...I hope she will be ok and have her own little holiday playing with all the other dogs and also that she will still be the same li'l Maya that we dropped off..has anyone else used kennels ..and if so, have your chows returned all ok? I think this will be the first/last time we will go away without her..and plan a chow chow holiday instead next time :)
Chrissy & Maya

Thank you Siriol for the lovely banner
Zhuyos mom

Re: Holiday

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I know the feeling! I've used both a kennel facility and a pet camp. The kennel was more of a rustic place at a farm where the dogs are in pens with indoor and outdoor runs. The Pet Camp was an open play area in the daytime and at night the overnighters go to a regular room with a sofa, blankets and doggie bed.

My Zhu tended to come home a little skinny. I think it was because they had set times for feeding at the kennel and if he didn't finish his food, then no meal for him. Back in Zhu's days, there weren't very many options like they have now. Tiggy did a 2 night stay at the same kennel this past July. He did okay until the last day when they freaked him out and he scraped his nose on something. But the kennel served a purpose and I needed to go out of town for the weekend. My girl, Miss Pooh Bear, went to the Pet Camp. She did really well there. I called and e-mailed almost every day when I was out of town. They even sent me pictures. Some places here also have video cameras where you can see what's going on in the facility via your laptop. My former housekeeper chow sat Zhuyo one weekend. Since he was use to seeing her come and go in the house, he was familiar with her and she liked him alot. That might be another option for you (dog sitter).

Other than driving home with a stinky chow, they all came home just fine and happy. So don't worry too much and just enjoy your holiday!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I have kenneled my 2 at different times. Most recent was this August. First, we (the kennel staff and me) know that they will eat little to no food. My male Chow is more of a challenge and usually sulks while being kenneled. The kennel staff understand that our Chows are not going to be the usual "love me, love you - tongue & tail waggers". So I think the kennel and staff understanding the breed is a must have...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

hey..thanks guys so much for your posts....appreciate them :)
Currently in Cancun and awake because of the time difference, can't sleep...been dreams about chow chows though! (when I did catch some zzz's) :D.....When we dropped her off. I tried to explain some things to them about her care, they finished my sentences (in a nice way) to let me know they knew what I was going to say (if that makes sense)....so it seemed like they at least knew something aout chow chows.... felt some reassurance from that;. ..going to text them today and see how Maya's doing. Thanks again :)
Chrissy & Maya

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Enjoy your holiday!!! I'm sure your baby girl will be just fine and will greet you with lots of furry kisses and hugs upon your return :)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

We have a wonderful small kennel here that has always exeeced my expectaions as far as care goes. I was disappointed to find out that my girl didn't miss me at all while we were gone :( Lucky for us last year my mom retired and now we pay her to babysit her 'grandkids' (her payment is gas money & a fabulous gift from wherever we go). Once you return and see that she is perfectly ok and she sees that you have returned, it will be like nothing happened. The first time leaving Maya will be the hardest, but it gets easier.
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Thanks for all your messages. So..I text not long after we arrived on holiday - the reply back was that Maya didn't eat that evening, didn't really eat the following morning :(..but that she ate all her food the evening after. They said she is lovin' her new found doggie friends, so at least she's having some fun :). Am going to try and text again today to see how she's doing now ...
Chrissy & Maya