Fast Eater, is that normal?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Yoshirocks07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fast Eater, is that normal?

Post by Yoshirocks07 »

Hello! I have a young (almost 1) chow chow named Yoshi. He's quite the fast eater and I have no idea why. I mean not only does he chow down fast but he has now started burping after eating. :-/ I heard that feeding him in intervals is supposed to work, but something tells me he'll gobble up the intervals and stare at me waiting for the next one and we'll just continue in that pattern. So I was hoping someone could give me some advice? Please and Thank you!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Fast Eater, is that normal?

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I can't really help you with this issue. We had an Australian shepherd who would bolt her food when we first got her. She would take in enough air to get bloated. I had to give her simethacone liquid drops after each feeding for the first month or so. She grew out of it. We feed twice a day and give measured portions. We also try to keep the times the same.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I have not experienced this myself, but my Nan has a lab who eats a whole bowl in seconds, given a chance. To stop her from getting bloat, they put down a little bit of the meal at a time, wait for her to finish that bit, and then put down a bit more... it might be worth a try
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

hmmm... how many times a day are you feeding your dog? Maybe feed 4 smaller meals throughout the day. That way doggie knows that he/she is going to get food and it doesnt need to be a free-for-all when the dish is laid down in front of him/her.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Have you tried mixing in a little water with his food? My aunt does this with her Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and it slows their eating. She also bought weighted steel balls that she sticks int heir bowls when they eat.

She bought this in a large:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3519706
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

I put golf balls in the bowl when my chow did that and seemed to do the trick. There are also "slow feeder" bowls available in the market which might help.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

Wow...be careful what you wish for...lol
My boys never goggle or woof their food, they prefer to stand by and guard it for most of the day.
I have learned that if they don't eat it within an hour/away it goes till dinnertime.

I give them a measured portion in the morning and one in the early evening. My husband was thinking maybe it's time to just go to once a day. They will be (3) next month.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

myboys wrote:My husband was thinking maybe it's time to just go to once a day. They will be (3) next month.
Don't change anything, please! Twice a day is always better than once a day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

My chow gobbled his food a lot when we first got him, and we found out it was because he had tapeworm. Might be worth checking out. Before we realized this I had bought him a Kong wobbler for feeding time. It's a fun activity for them and gives them no choice but to eat slowly.

http://www.kongcompany.com/products/dog ... /wobbler-1
tammer1973
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tammer1973 »

Have you tried sitting down and petting and prasing as he eats? Sometimes a calm voice and slow them down. Mine will eat fast sometimes but doesnt seem to bloat him or anything. As long as its not making him sick I wouldnt stress it. But you could just offer food more times a day so that he doesnt over eat all at once, I leave food down for mine 24 hours a day and feed canned food 3 times a day.
Colebear & Angel's Mommy
Dumplingsmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dumplingsmommy »

Our Dumpling eats really fast too. So we started using feeding toys to slow her down - Kong Wobbler then the Premier Tug-a-Jug. She eventually figured out how to use them really well and we're now searching for her next toy, but at least it takes her about 5-10 mins to eat one cup of dry food. She also often comes over right after eating and drinking and burps. Nothing we can do about it except sometimes we wait until she's not as worked up to feed. Good luck!
Dumplingsmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dumplingsmommy »

weird... where did my reply go? oh well, i previously meant to say that we used the Kong Wobbler then the Premier Tug-A-Jug to slow down our Dumpling's fast eating. we're currently looking for another toy as shes learned how to use both pretty quickly now (5-8 mins). it's still better than nothing tho. here's a video of her w/ the tug a jug http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k53 ... G_0974.mp4
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator note: We didn't do any edits to your post. Just wanted to respond to your question, as a new member, your post will not appear immediately after you submit it. This helps the administrator and moderators weed out the spammers. Thank you for
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

My boy, Tiggy, and a foster I had, Bruin, were extremely fast eaters. It is not good for any dog to be gulping down their kibble or wet food. They could choke, develop bloat, don't feel satiated, lead to food guarding, all sorts of things. I took the longer route to snap them of this habit. It is a habit and you have the control to fix it because it is behavioral. For months, when it was time to eat, I would feed them one kibble at a time and had them wait for the next kibble. I eventually increased the kibble amount but did it gradually until it was okay to leave a full bowl of food down for them to eat at their own pace.

While I didn't use this, I've read some good articles on the use of this bowl. It sounds worth the expense if you don't want to/or can't take the time to do what I did. It's called an anti-bloat bowl. You can google it and find places where you can buy the bowl.