:?: Camping w/Chow - Equipment, etc. - What is Best?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

:?: Camping w/Chow - Equipment, etc. - What is Best?

Post by Juniper »

Hi to all those who go camping w/their Chows - backpackers roughing it or campground enthusiasts! :wink:

What brand name/size of tent works best with your Chow? I'm not roughing it very much - going to Grover Hot Springs in Tahoe last weekend of July with my Sheena - but she sure does like her S p A c E :lol: It's just me and her and a group of other people at the campground.

I do enjoy camping and plan to do more. My 2-person cheapo tent doesn't have enough room for me anymore and is way too hot for Sheena. I've been checking out the Kelty Green River 4 man tent w/lots of ventilation and room to say the least - approx. 9 ft. x 14 ft. I don't object to having two tents, so it would be good to know what you backpackers have been using successfully.

I started sleeping on the living room floor last November to bond with my newly acquired Chow. Sheena's habits: likes to sleep approx. 3 feet from me and walks around a lot at night - checking the parameters of my foam bed and making sure I'm protected. :lol:

Has anyone ever zipped up the tent and left their Chow in it for 1/2 hour, 1 hour or less without sustaining damage to their tent? Or do you never leave your Chow out of sight and under your control?

Are there any problems that could arise while she sleeps in the tent with me? i.e. see wild animal, claw and break through tent.

I want her first camping trip w/me to be an enjoyable and healthy one. Next year I'll take her for backpacking trips; this year it's the more luxurious route as an intro to camping.

I will check, brush/comb her each day for ticks, burrs in-between her toes, etc., and not panic if I do find a tick.

Any suggestions on equipment, supplies, etc. which you think I should be equipped with would be much appreciated.

Supplies list I've already madeup: Lots of towels, rags, brush, comb, tweezers, scissors, water bottle, bowls, food, treats, can opener, tarp for Sheena to lay on; keep her collar, tags on @ all times, leash and ear plugs to stifle her snoring! :lol:

Are there more supplies you can think of to add on this list for her? Any suggestions, comments from the peanut gallery, jokes that Sheena would enjoy...I'm all ears.

And thanks for your suggestions in advance. :D
Jennifer & Sheena
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If you don't want to to ruff it to much try Camp Ground by the Lake just across from the Lake as you turn on to the main street into tahoe. Its a regular camp ground but they do allow dogs and do have shower facilities, we use to take Pekoe there all the time when we lived in SF.

As for bringing her in the tent with you at night, yes bring her in the tent with you at night, we never left Pekoe out at night, To many bears and other creatures they might attract.
Leaving her in the tent, I personally never would, to many dogs are getting stolen lately so I would never chance it plus a chow would have no problem ripping its way out of the tent with the newer type tent material

I don't know brands of tents but get one big enough for your Chow to have room to sleep and stretch out, with plenty of windows for air even though you might freeze to death at night. No matter how hot it gets during the day its cold at night.

There are ticks on the way up there if you stop along the way, so you might want to get a tick collar or drops.
And be real careful of the heat in Tahoe, we hiked with Pekoe but had to do alot of stops for her to rest and bring plenty of water.

Chows start slowing down when it gets above 70 so watch her carefully.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Camping w/Chow

Post by Juniper »

Thanks for the info Jeff.

I'll definitely take Sheena to Campground by the Lake in the future; checked their web site; sounds/looks like a great place; and thanks for the warning about the heat in Tahoe, I will definitely keep her cooled down w/lots of drinking water and rest stops.

Don't know about tick collars or drops though - I'm one of those people who don't believe in chemical protection, not even vaccinations. Sheena only has had her rabies - 1 shot for 3 years - only because it's mandatory. I had 6 cats who never had any shots and they lived long and prosperous. Only used homeopathic remedies, and acupuncture when they got very old and did water only fasts for 1-2 days whenever they got the sniffles. Basically, it's the same thing I do for myself, I've never had one vaccination in my life.

I'll look through her fur, inch by inch, to make sure there are no ticks. I brush and comb her this way every weekend anyway.

Thanks again and much health and fun to you Pekoe and everyone you hold dear.
Jennifer & Sheena
debbie and bones

camping

Post by debbie and bones »

When I read your post, I don't think I saw a tie out chain on your list. We camp with Bones (and before his death, our other beautiful Chow Bear) every year - they are/were both great camping dogs. We always have a tie out chain and put it around a large tree and then on his collar so that he can roam without being on a leash all the time. He loves it. We also get a bag of ice each day and make sure he is well hydrated. Both my Chows (Bear more than Bones) love to crunch ice and it cools them down. The campground we go to it right across the street from the beach and we comfortably leave the dog(s) at the campsite. They usually sleep under the tent trailer for coolness and my hubbie goes often to give water/ice, check on them. It is a real family campground and we camp with about 20 others who check in on Bones too when they come up from the beach - we hav enever had a problem and people alsways comment on how good he is and how he rarely barks. We never have left him in the tent or the tent trailer alone as I think it is like a car - the temperature is much hotter within than out. Enjoy your camping!!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Camping

Post by Juniper »

Thanks for the info Debbie - I'll definitely add a tie out chain and ice cubes to my list. I'm uncertain if I'll be able to leave her alone but it will be nice to not have her attached to me all the time w/a leash.
Jennifer & Sheena
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Camping

Post by Samorrathis »

So how did your camping trip go? We are bringing Nanuk for his first camping trip in Tahoe this weekend. There is a great camp ground just past the "Y". that we are going to.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My camping trip w/Sheena isn't until July 29th at Grover Hot Springs and I'm starting to get excited. Please let me know how Nanuk's first camping trip goes and let me know about the campsite you go to since I am very unfamiliar with Tahoe and I believe it would be good for both of us to go camping more frequently at different places.
Jennifer & Sheena
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

We went to Alaska with Jasper, camping along the way. We couldn't leave her alone in the tent. She also thought that the foam was hers, and that we should sleep on the tarp! She nosed and pushed my husband until he was off the foam, and she was on! There were alot of mosquitoes (big ones), so my husband put some citronella on her face to try and protect her. What a mistake, she wouldn't talk to him for three days, she only wanted me. Whenever he tried to make up to her, she would struggle to get away. Jasper has also been camping down the Oregon coast, and really enjoyed getting her fur completely matted with sand. Argh! Picnic tables make great grooming tables, but you get some funny looks from the other campers. Also beware of the racoons. We left her tied up outside for a few minutes in the evening to change in the tent, and when we came out Jasper was surrounding by 6-8 raccons.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Thanks for the advice and the warnings...appears that Jasper is a bit of a character! Can't wait to go camping w/Sheena. Hmmmm expectin' she might pull that move over business with me also but maybe I'll get her something to sleep on as well. Another spoiled Chow-Chow...tsk tsk. :lol:
Jennifer & Sheena
debbie and Bones

camping

Post by debbie and Bones »

I just returned from camping with Bones in the Rocky Mountains (Canmore area) and he seemed to enjoy himself. Only problem were the baby rabbits running around. We have Bones on a tieout chain attached to a tree and whenever he saw one of these rascally rabbits he went crazy and would not stop barking. It was a bark I have never heard from him. We spent the first day trying to make him stop and in the process he tried to bite both my husband and I (we tried to turn him around, make him lie down so he could not see the bunnies. On the 2nd day we smartened up and just chased the bunnies away when he went into his weird barking. What an experience!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

It'll be interesting to see if Sheena has a different bark - I noticed when I say "Do you want to go to park?" She barks in a higher pitch - short and sweet. When chasing squirrels she barks the same as when someone knocks at the door. It'll be interesting if she has different barks for different animals. If you hear "Crazy woman chasing animals in Lake Tahoe!" Hmmmm. that'll probably be me. Did you per chance make the news? :lol:
Jennifer & Sheena
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

We had a awesome camping trip. We stayed at Tahoe valley camp ground right near the "Y" on the South side of the lake. There is a dog beach only about 10 minutes away called Kiva beach. We never accually got there cause the traffic was so bad over fourth of July weekend. Will be checking it out in the next couple weeks and let you know how it really is, but how bad can it be, it's Tahoe!

I never realized how much socialization it would be to go camping. It was wonderful for him!! All sorts of people and he also got to spend the entire weekend in the company of our friends chow mix, this was the first time he had ever been around another dog for that long. Think he accually did some growing up on this trip and lifted his leg to go potty for the first time!

Hope all of you have sucsessful camping trips also!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Great to hear about your enjoyable camping trip with Nanuk, his progress in growing up and socialization. And, thanks for the info on Kiva Beach, etc.

I'm gettin' real excited about going camping for the first time w/Sheena and thanks for the well wishes for everyone.

I really enjoy hearing about Nanuk since I've never had a puppy I've only rescued grown strays. So please keep us updated on Nanuk's future growth steps and adventures!
Jennifer & Sheena