When are they full grown?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

When are they full grown?

Post by kitten1426 »

We have a 4-1/2 month old male chow..he is about 42 lbs already and stands about 17-1/8 inches high...at the shoulders...When is full grown? how old are they when the reach there full growth? Being he is 42 lbs already does this mean he will be pretty big?...oh yeah his ears didnt stand up yet either...He has alot of loose skin on his head...well his whole body..LOL...Were hoping he grows taller...lol...not be a little short porker... :lol: :mrgreen:
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: When are they full grown?

Post by TyChowgirl »

I could be wrong about this but I think most dogs end about a year or so. I have a 7 month old male who is already 60lbs and actually pretty lean when soaked lol. I don't know if that means he'll be big or if that's normal, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll be a decent size.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Male's should be about grown by a year but continue to fill out until they're 3.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

TyChowgirl wrote:I could be wrong about this but I think most dogs end about a year or so. I have a 7 month old male who is already 60lbs and actually pretty lean when soaked lol. I don't know if that means he'll be big or if that's normal, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll be a decent size.

Yea we dont know either we have a 8 month old female chow she stands about 19 inches at the shoulder and weighs only about 41 lbs..she is tiny to me anyways...But our male Chow is wide and low...not to tall...I really wonder about him...We hope he grows in height...We wouldnt mind a really big chow...lol....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

kitten1426 wrote:
TyChowgirl wrote:I could be wrong about this but I think most dogs end about a year or so. I have a 7 month old male who is already 60lbs and actually pretty lean when soaked lol. I don't know if that means he'll be big or if that's normal, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll be a decent size.

Yea we dont know either we have a 8 month old female chow she stands about 19 inches at the shoulder and weighs only about 41 lbs..she is tiny to me anyways...But our male Chow is wide and low...not to tall...I really wonder about him...We hope he grows in height...We wouldnt mind a really big chow...lol....
Really big Chows are rare, so don't get your hopes up! I'm sure you've seen his mother and a picture of his father. His parents will tell you what looks, weight, height you can most likely expect!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

See!That's what I thought too. We met both of Ty's parents and they didn't seem very large to me at all, but everyone kept telling me Ty was going to be "big". His breeder said that his mother is 60lbs and his father is 65lbs so either Ty will just taper out to his father's size or maybe he will be bigger. I know she said that he has a half brother who weighs in at 85, though I'm not sure which parent, and I'm not entirely sure that his weight fits his frame either. I've never seen a picture of that one. Who knows? I guess kitten, you'll just have to wait and see!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well we didnt see his Parents he was a rescue...And Really on the big Chows? We hope he is big.......My Fiance Her parents showed them and rasised then they had a Male chow that was a 100 lbs...Wishful thinking...lol..
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Why would you want a chow that is a 100 pounds? What does a 100 pound chow do that a 50 pound chow doesn't?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

oceans wrote:Why would you want a chow that is a 100 pounds? What does a 100 pound chow do that a 50 pound chow doesn't?
Good question. The less weight on his Chow joints the better!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

kitten1426 wrote:Well we didnt see his Parents he was a rescue...And Really on the big Chows? We hope he is big.......My Fiance Her parents showed them and rasised then they had a Male chow that was a 100 lbs...Wishful thinking...lol..
100 lbs is WAY above average for even a male chow! My chow/lab mix boy, Jasper, is 115 lbs, and honestly, I wish he were smaller. Of course, 100 lb labs are way more common than 100 lb chows. Our purebred male that we had when I was younger was about 65 lbs according to my parents. And my late chow girl, Tippsy, was 45 lbs, which is the breed standard minimum for a female's weight. Of course, obviously, not all chows will conform to "standard" and can be smaller or larger.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chow_chow/
Jess
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I have had four females ranging from 40-70lbs at a healthy adult weight. My boy is 75lbs at his healthy weight but he is a big chow!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Im not saying i have to have an 100 pound chow..It would be nice to have a bigger chow that is in proportion.( Not saying he would be Fat at 100 pounds Hence extra weight on his Joints) ..We weighed him today and at 4-1/2 months old he is now 44 lbs..seems to be putting on 10 pds a month..We're Happy at were ever he ends up...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

kitten1426 wrote:Im not saying i have to have an 100 pound chow..It would be nice to have a bigger chow that is in proportion.( Not saying he would be Fat at 100 pounds Hence extra weight on his Joints) ..We weighed him today and at 4-1/2 months old he is now 44 lbs..seems to be putting on 10 pds a month..We're Happy at were ever he ends up...

At his current age and size I would think he would end up, (at about 3 years of age) around 70lbs. He'll most likely be about 20-22 inches high at the shoulder, and about 60lbs at a year old and then put on another 10 or so lbs of muscle and bone over the next 2 years. This could be less if he is neutered before six months. I had a rescue who was neutered at 2 years old, he weighed 61lbs when I got him at two, and over the next year put on that 10lbs of muscle and bone to eventually weight 73lbs. he stood 23 inches at the shoulder. He was a lovely big chow boy. I also had one that was 23 inches at the shoulder and only weighed 66lbs, but he was more the longer legged type with a thinner body.

As Tippsy'smom said, there is a large range of sizes for chows of both genders, but I've only heard of one 100lb chow on this sight. Most people who think they are seeing a 100lb chow are actually seeing a small Newfoundland, (some of the black chows look like newfies)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Thanks for the info...We will be happy with him anyway he is...We have a female chow she is an inbetweener..One parent was probably a smooth coat and one was a rough coat..she is Cinnamon color..she stands 19-1/2 at the shoulders and weighs 41 lbs she is 9 months old so im sure she will gain a few more pounds...It would be awesome to have him be 70 lbs...

As for the 100 lb chow My Fiances Parents had a few show dogs 40 yrs ago...One was 100 lbs... maybe thats the difference they were bigger back then?....I have to scan the pictures for you to see they Look so big...lol....
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

kitten1426 wrote:As for the 100 lb chow My Fiances Parents had a few show dogs 40 yrs ago...One was 100 lbs... maybe thats the difference they were bigger back then?....I have to scan the pictures for you to see they Look so big...lol....
100 lbs has always been WAY above standard if I'm correct. In that case, he would've been disqualified, and wouldn't have been a show dog.
Last edited by Tippsy'smom on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jess
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Hi - Mrs. Kitten1426/Kodi & Mia's mom here... Sanj's Sir Dum-Dum was my parents' show dog about 40 years ago. We're trying to get photos scanned and uploaded. From what my dad has been telling me - and I can only repeat his words, as I was only about 1-2 years old when the dog was showing - he topped out around 100 pounds. This was NOT overweight 100 pounds - but in very good proportion for a chow. His sire, Janus was quite a large chow as was his full brother Three O'Clock Charlie... both topping out near 90 pounds. Janus did not show to my knowledge. Charlie did, but apparently wasn't the specimen the Dum-Dum was. His dam, Sarif - I can't tell you how big she was. She died under anesthesia when I was about five. She "looked" big to me, but then again, everything looks big when you're 5 ;o)

Two of the photos of Dum-Dum that I have show him getting his best of breed. Did he show at Westminster? No - but it wasn't the county fair either. Dum-Dum unfortunately died rather young... I don't know all the details, but I don't believe he was ever bred... I'm trying to find any records of the shows he was in. Probably paperwork at my dad's house, but who knows where it is! For all I know, there were some articles in the Chow magazines back then... Also trying to look up any info I can find on his handler, who actually had bred and showed collies.

We'll get the photos up soon!
Jennifer
Chowpapa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowpapa »

We have 4 chows Dakota 7 year old male 62 pounds
Arizona 4 year old male 64 pounds
Freckles approx 12 year old female 43 pounds and
Princess is 4 years old and 42 pounds.
tammer1973
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tammer1973 »

A year old. My male loses a little weight in the winter because he is so active. But come summer he adds the weight back because he doesnt leave the air vent for long. They have a pet door during the summer they only like going out with me for a walk or if im working in the yard. During the winter they play outside for hours.
Colebear & Angel's Mommy
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well ShenLung is and has been 85lbs of monster bear for some time and he's probably one of the fittest Chow's as he and his sister have been heavily exercised daily since puppy life. He stands just a little over chair seat height at the shoulders.

FengHuang is a mighty 60lbs and stands at just about chair seat height at the shoulders. Physical presence however she is a full third smaller than her brother visually. Both are as square as can be with massive barrel chests and huge paws.

They have just turned 4 yrs and ShenLung is still filling out. It seems to be his body's way of recovering from the massive growth sport. The just had their annual physicals and passed as usual. Our vet has always been impressed with our bears even compared to his Akita.

We also came to realize that our Chow's don't eat a lot. 2 cups for ShenLung and 1-3/4 for FengHuang daily and of course we don't do treats.

So enjoy your fur-kid, small or large, just do your best and keep the exercise up and regual vet visits and life will be good.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Thanks for the info our 5 month chow is now about 46/47 lbs stands about 18 inches at the shoulders...He is active due to his brothers and sister...A 9 month old female chow,6 month old male Collie,5 Month old Airedale..they play alot so he is always running....Our female chow is 42.5 lbs she stands a little over 19 inches at the shoulders....The problem we have is the other 2 pups we have are just so much longer and bigger then our male chow so he looks small....lol...Our 5 month old Airedale is close to 60 lbs already and stands close to 25 inches at the shoulder and our collie is 50 lbs and stands about 24 inches at the shoulder....Whatever the case we love the all the same.... :mrgreen: The play great together....the all sleep in the same room together....They are all growing up as young pups so thats going to be a good thing.....
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yeah, our Chow's look small from the side and height compared to a lab or giant poodle or husky, but look at them and ours head on or from the back, this dogs look like total wimps! We got the power!! ;) ROFL
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well we just hope Kodi aka our 5 month old Chow gets a little taller then he is...He is about 18 inches at the shoulders and weighs 46/47 lbs i think thats a pretty decent size at his Age no??..I guess its hard to compare especially because we have an 5 month old Airedale thats is already 25 inches at the shoulders and weighs about 60lbs and our 6 month old collie which is 24-1/4 inches at the shoulder and weighs 50ish pounds...Our female chow is a little over 19 inches at the shoulder and she weighs 42/43 lbs...I think he should be a decent size...And were waiting for his EARS to go up there still down...lol... :mrgreen:
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble did her final growth spurt at about 2 years old when she put on a whole inch and made it past the 18" min height for breed standards. So not a big chow but she weighs 56lbs and her little sister is slightly bigger and weighs 60lbs but she has a lot of filling out to do still at 18 months. I dont think females stop growing chunkier and sometimes even in height till they are at least 2 1/2 and dogs more like 3 years old. It is interesting to see the difference in types there are within the chow breed.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well a quick Update Kodi will be 3 in May and we weighed him today...he HIT the 100 lb mark he is ONE BIG Boy..stands 26 inches at the shoulders too...so he grew UP compared to my last posts here...LOL...
chowking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowking »

Wow that's a really big chow you have right. If you don't mind what do you feed Kodi and how were you able to make him grow that big. I have a chow pup right now and I hope to he hit's at least 2/3 of Kodi's weight. He was weighed 17.2 lbs at exactly 3 mos and gets 1 1/2 cups of kibble and bit of canned food to add flavor. Should I start giving him more. I'm really amazed at Kodi's weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D