Chow-compatible breeds?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

arctic.crocodile
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow-compatible breeds?

Post by arctic.crocodile »

Just wondering what other breeds are likely to get along with chows?

Was suggested NOT Staffordshire Bull Terriers so what other breeds do and don't work with chows?

What (dog) personality traits work best with the Chow?

Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow-compatible breeds?

Post by Rex343 »

My grandson has a staff pitbull that comes and visits and they get along great. We have an American Johnson Bulldog that gets along great with Rex. Each dog is an individual, breeds are only tendancies of the way they act and most about how they look. So don't look for breed look for compatible traits.
arctic.crocodile
Rank 0
Rank 0

Oh, OK, thanks. I think the person that suggested they weren't so good with Staffies just meant that Staffies are a bit too 'full-on' for Chows.

So, in that case what traits work well with Chows?
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I think that all breeds can get along depending on how they are raised and/or introduced to each other. My neighbors have a Staffy that jumps the fence quite often just to come play with my two Chows, they're great friends and only met as adults.
No matter where you go, there you are.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki seems to get along pretty good with most breeds. She stays with 3 border collies while we vacation and they all get along. I've only noticed once a lab growled at her and she stayed far far away from him after he growled. But she has been with many types, yorkie, golden retrievers, german shepherds, great white pryness, husky, shar peis, boxers, none seem to bother her and she has stayed with them at their homes too .. maybe its her too shes very laid back... I do think it counts on the personality of the dog not the breed so much..while down the shore we just had a puggle next door to us and that dog almost went through the porch fence to get at Nikki and Nikki just laid there looking at it like it was madddd...Nikki never even barked at it. Just looked and walked away..
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Many mixed breeds from a rescue will get along great with your chow : ) Adopt!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We have 2 chows a female (Mia) 8 months old and a male (kodi) 4 months old...and we have a 6 month old collie (shelby) and a 4 month old Airedale (Bear)...they all get along great yes they play hard but there pups...So growing up together will be fine...Oh and both our chows are rescues....there awesome pups!!!!
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
arctic.crocodile
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopting is a great idea!! and exactly what I was planning on!

Actually, I don't yet have a chow but am hoping there will be one in my future and didn't want to get a dog that wouldn't suit with the future chow so that's why I'm interested in what personalities and traits work with the Chow - for when I go looking for my new (rescue) best friend. Although, obviously, its all going to be pretty general at this stage.

Thank you everyone for all your replies and of course any further information would also be appreciated.
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

I would say its less of a breed thing and more of a personality thing. I would also suggest picking a breed similar in size or at least one that could play with a chow. (LAB, GOLDEN, ETC.) my chows arent aggressive, but they love to be rough an tumble. I would worry about buying a new dainty dog and expecting your chow to respect its delicacy.

Also, i would say a dog of the opposite *Censored Word*, is probably important in eliminating factors that can come into play. mostly avoid female/female. my female chow, loves all boy dogs, and likes passive girl dogs but rarly sees eye to eye with a confrontational alfa female, no matter the breed.

i know where your coming from wih the pitbulls, but if it is a good dog, everything will be fine. An abused , unsociaized or aggressive pitbull may not be a good match for a chow.

Good luck...
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I think it is more of a personality and upbringing thing. Ursa is the alpha female, and she will defend that position if challenged. My son's rat terrier (female) thinks she is 10 ft tall and bullet proof, and has challenged Ursa. Ursa is not trying to seriously hurt Maggie, but a 10 lb dog VS a 50 lb dog is no contest. Ursa usually breaks the skin with a single canine tooth, but that is enough to draw blood, cause pain, and typically a vet bill because of infection. We do keep antibiotics, and tell Maggie to get in her bed if she begins to feel dominant. Malachi, my male would love to play with Maggie. He wants to play tug of war with the chew toys when she shakes them, but at 80 lbs, he frightens her, and he really is sweet. My wife has a yokiepoo and her mother has a poodle. Since both of these are female, we keep an eye on them, but we have only had issues with my wife's dog. In a household, dogs will have to work out their issues. I had a German shepherd and an Australian shepherd, both males. Every once in a while, the Australian shepherd would decide that he wanted to eat out of the big dog's bowl. That was an instant dominance struggle, which always ended with an Aussie having to lay there and not eat. The dogs will have to work it out. My wife likes to pass out cow hooves for the dogs to chew. Ursa will collect them all and put them in a pile in front of her. Once she has chowed on each one, then the other dogs have them without her coming to retrieve the prize. Now I have 4 cats, and they are a not issue with the dogs.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

I agree with every one else it dosent matter what breed you get.Its all down to personality in the past i have had a female chow and a corgi living together then they were joined by a female cairn terrier.When my chow and corgi past away i got zeus and achilles twin chow boys they are now 5 years old.We lost charlie the cairn 6 months ago and even though i swore no more. Two months ago shabs a 10 week old female cairn came to be a new member of the family.When they are all playing together the boys are very carefull and gentle with her,And when we go on are walks they are very protective of her.Whatever breed you choose have a meeting on neutral ground see how they interact this will show if they are a suitable partnership or not.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

We have the two Chows with a variety of breeds and personalities..they're fine. Oddly, Aesop took longest to get used to Goose.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It is hard when deciding what dogs will get on together because the introduction of a new dog alters the dinamics of the ones you have and not always how you would expect. We had a cavalier and a female chow and when we got another female chow as a puppy she was very quiet and had been bullied by her brothers so I thought she would quietly slip into the group and find a place for herself but she took the group by storm and became the most confident and leader. She is a gentle girl so no fights but she is very confident for a chow and nothing fazes her but I could never have told that from observing her as a puppy. I think it is a lot about your leadership and letting the dogs know that you are in charge. If they feel comfortable with your leadership then they relax more and get on better. Incidently the very small cavalier gets on better with both chows than they do with each other a lot of the time. We did have him first though and I'm not sure I would introduce a very small puppy as chows can be rough players!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Honestly, it's not breed. It's personality traits of the individual dogs. I had my girl Tippsy with 3 different pomeranians, a poodle, a schnauzer, a min pin, a boxer, a yorkie, a chihuahua, my lab/chow mix Jasper, and my Aussie/GSD mix Dixie and we very RARELY had ANY conflicts(if any they were over food).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix