Thoughts for the evening: Goodbye old friend, Hello new

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thoughts for the evening: Goodbye old friend, Hello new

Post by cherriemater »

Greetings ... I've been on this site since we lost our lovely girl, Kimba back in June. I can't believe I have survived the last two and a half months without her. I just got back from a walk around our neighborhood (it's quiet, slightly windy, 70 degrees and misty) and feel like I'm being split in two. Sadness over our girl feels so real like the first night without her, mixed with the anxiety over our new girl who was, apparently, born on August 11th. When does the breeder contact those on the waiting list??? I'm sure they're busy with the new litter but I want to know what color our girl will be. We've already named her ... Sasha (the female derivation of Alexander [the Great], a strong name) Rose (to soften her up). Cream will be too much like Kimba and I think that would be hard on both of us. I'm hoping for a black, blue or silver ... but seriously, like any new parent, any color will be loved and adored!!

Are my expectations wrong in thinking that she'll bring more healing to the hole that Kimba left? Somehow I feel like I'm betraying Kimba, or even cheating on her, with all the hope I have for our new Chow daughter. Do all new parents of Chowdren feel like I do? Like somehow I'm gonna mess up and she'll be a tyrant? I have been reading and listening to everyone on this forum and am so thankful to the words of wisdom, love and support so I know I'll do fine. Maybe it's the night, the stars hidden by the clouds. Maybe it's the rain, coming and going and toying with my emotions. Maybe it's our fourth anniversary on Thursday that's got me spinning off tilt (I am so blessed to have been given the BEST man ever).

Anyway ... I'm hoping this little cathartic release will help me refocus and be patient. I'll share a picture of my hubby with the Kimba girl ... our first winter together sometime in November, 2007. Nothin' better 'n a man and his dog! Night, all :)
Attachments
40390_106274379431198_100001459102729_53773_4535473_n.jpg
40390_106274379431198_100001459102729_53773_4535473_n.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Auddymay

Re: Thoughts for the evening: Goodbye old friend, Hello new

Post by Auddymay »

It is going to take a lot of time to heal. My Pip has been gone a year and I still grieve. It is not the same as before, less intense. But that is how grief works. Even a new Chow will not diminish this, it is what it is...

The new pup- you know they were born, so there must have been some contact. If you have an email addy, contact the breeder to confirm they indeed have a female, and the coat color. Then be patient. Some breeders send photos, some don't. The minimum you should know though, is if the pup you made a down payment on even exists!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Definately contact your breeder to make sure everything went allright. I don't see a problem with checking in and possibly asking for a photo of your new pup.... That only assures you that yes your pup is doing fine and lets you get to see her for the first time. I would also expect updates on her frequently. Maybe take a visit to see her if close by. Your photo is great of both your husband and Kimba. You can tell how content in this picture your husband is with Kimba, and vice versa. Sasha will make you laugh many many times but she'll never be what Kimba was to you. That is what makes each chow so special... they are their own personalities. Great days are ahead for you. Take care.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Firstly, so sorry about Kimba and what a lovely photo of her and her Dad.

Then, you will never forget her but when you do get your little chowling , she will not take Kimba's place but my goodness, she will fill a hole in your life.

When we lost our precious Milly almost exactly two years ago we were lucky enough to find a litter about to be born and now almost two years later, we have two girls from that litter of three and they are just absolutely gorgeous. We still have Milly's litter sister Mabel who is getting to be an old girl now but what I would not give to have Milly just for one day to play round with these here. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Sorry to hear about Kimba. It has been almost 3 years since we lost Sheba our beloved chow, and since we lost her good friend Giz along with Mia whom we adopted to be Gizzy's companion. We now have a beautiful black male named Tyton and a beautiful Red female named Pheonix. They make us laugh and fill the void of losing our old girls as we call them. I still stop sometimes and tears will still flow but not as often or for long, but time does heal and your new pup will help and ease the pain of losing your beat friend. Hope to see pics soon.