Having two chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowlover

Having two chows

Post by chowlover »

Hi,

I have a 9 month old female chow, and considering getting another one about 7 months old male as a companion for her. Both of them are fixed, will only have them as companions. However, my concern is the potential probelms any of you may have encountered having two chows? I have a adequate size backyard for them, but I know it's going to cost more for vets, food, grooming, etc. For all you experience Chow owners, any problems that might make it difficult to maintain two?

Also, when i introduced our female baby to the new 7 month old male chow, she was very aggressive; jumping on him, biting him (appears to be not biting hard), knocking him down while he just wants to play with her. He is so lovable, lying on his back for her however she is so aggressive with him. Is this a normal for chows to play like this or is it just a way for them to get use to each other?

Any advice will be appreicated!

Thanks,

Chowlover
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am not too sure - maybe she is just pulling rank on him - after all she is a bit older and you are hers, not his - in her mind! :?
Chows do like one of their own to be with - where did you introduce them - maybe she was not feeling too secure where she was?
I suggest you try again and good luck.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

Thanks, for your reply. Actually we were at the adoption home and our chow was getting nervous with the other dogs. Maybe it's was a fear thing.

Thanks,
andyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyman »

If your trying to introduce a new dog I would do it in a place outside of home at a demilitarized zone where they don't feel like they own the spot. Have a LOT of treat available and make the dog thats been there first feel special. Pay more attention to him. Offer the new one treats too but not before the original dog. Puppy's likes to play bite, thats normal. I introduced bubbles (3 months old) to flukey who's 6 years this way. They will fight but you need to let them work it out and don't ever interupt. Little ones need to learn there place. If it gets out of hand make lots of noise to brake it up. If it continues pick up the little one, give it a 20 second time out (just lift don't pet) and put the dog back down.

Always positively re-inforce. Now flukey and bubbles loves each other. He licks her face all day long and shares his raw hide. But for your info, flukey is a very territorial dog and has agression based fear. He will snap and bit people near his food bowl. I'm always amazed at how well he gets along with people and how much calmer he has become since bubbles arrived.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well, you chow girl is still very young and in view of what you say, I would suggest she was feeling a little stressed - specially having this ball of wool leaping at her and wanting to play, when she probably just wanted to suss out the place.
I would not really anticipate any aggression with them - males and females usually get on well, specially if they have both been neutered.
Is there any way you can get them to meet on neutral ground, away from other dogs.
When my two girls were about 10th months old, my daughter who lived with us at the time brought a standard Schnauzer into the household. Milly and Mabel were fascinated with him and really wanted him. We had to watch them for a day or two because they were a bit rough with him but soon settled down. They took an awful lot from him as Schnauzers are lively fellows but they never argued. If he got too rough with them, Mabel would just flip him over on his back and he would get the message.
Anyway, that is my sixpenneth. My gut instinct is they would be ok.

Good Luck. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Two Chows

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh (female) was close to a year old when we brought Mr. Nahkohe home at 9 weeks old. She was all over Mr. N but it was because she wanted to play. As Mr. N got older, he became dominant and thinks everything belongs to him. However, Shiloh is very smart and will usually outwit him. Mr. N is food agressive but Shiloh just waits for him to go do his business and she eats his food. She also knows how to get him in trouble with us but we got wise to her tricks.
It was good that you have a male/female situation. Most of the posts and readings indicate that same *Censored Word* will pose more issues than desired (M&M being an exception :lol: ). My humble opinion is that your two are trying to establish who's who...
Just be patient!
Karen
Zhuyos mom

Re: Having two chows

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Chowlover!

Personally, I think it's normal. I always think that girl chows are much feister than boy chows. I think boy chows tend to yield to the girl chows in their family. If the boy chow already lies on his back to submit to your girl chow, it might just be a good match.

The cream one in the picture is my baby boy, Zhuyo. He's 13.5 years old and he's the grand-pooba! of the household and my heart. My Pooh Bear, she's the cinnamon one in the picture, is around 9. I rescued her last year (June 6, 20004) from our local shelter. When I finally brought Zhu to the shelter to meet the little girl chow, we were placed in an isolated, sound proof room for them to get to know one another. Would a place like that be available for you? My personal experience with our family chow and chowling Zhu rough housing each other. Don't physically get in the middle of it. Use a shake can if you're inside or water if you're outside. The shelter had a spray bottle ready.

Once I brought the little girl chow home, whose chosen name is Miss Pooh Bear, she was shy and submissive to Zhu. It took a month to finally get her in gear and her outgoing personality came out - very similiar behavior as you described. Her "biting" to play was her "nipping" his ankles. He so did not like that. At month's end, they spatted. It was frighteningly severe. After that PB learned who really was top dog. Not because she hurt Zhu (severely) but because I made sure her feelings were hurt. I scolded her, ignored her, made her find a place for her time out and didn't acknowledge her until she made amends with Zhuyo. After about 15 minutes, she walked up to Zhu, whispered in his ear, gave him a kiss and went on her belly. They worked it out. They are best friends.

Our backyard is very humble and they enjoy it. My two tire easy and prefer being inside. Regarding your concerns on cost: I haven't seen an increase on vet bills with my two. Food only increased because PB wanted Zhu's Rx food. Before she became picky, her bag of Nutro lasted quite some time and it was affordable. Grooming doubled, but that is expected and I budget it. Now the only problem I have that makes it difficult to maintain two... when I chaufeur, I only have one back seat! Zhu likes to spread out and PB gets cornered. But she doesn't complain.

I hope things work out for you. I'm sure they'll enjoy each other's company. PB brought new life to Zhu.