Roug Coat Daddy - Smooth Mama - will rough pups be as furry?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PreciousBella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Roug Coat Daddy - Smooth Mama - will rough pups be as furry?

Post by PreciousBella »

We are working on finding a new Chow-lette as we recently lost our last faithful Chow, Bella. (Rest in Peace faithful companion, I'll see you at the Bridge with Chow Bailey someday)

It is difficult to locate pups in Minnesota, but we have a lead on a litter in Iowa. The parents are a Rough coat daddy and a smooth coat mama. We are definately looking for a good quality pet so our focus is on temperment and health, but, our last two Chows were show quality with very heavy coats

My DH & I are concerend about having a smooth parent. The breeder assures us that there would be no difference once they are old enough to determine, you get some of each in a litter, you do not just get a less furry blend.

I'll do a little more research on my own but thought I would post it here and see if anyone has some personal experinece.

Of course, if anyone has a lead on puppies for MN, IA, WI, ND, SD please let me know (and thanks for the previous input on the breeders in Michigan, I'm looking into those but hope for something in the next two months a little closer to Minneapoliss)
Andy Morgan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Roug Coat Daddy - Smooth Mama - will rough pups be as fu

Post by Andy Morgan »

Why the concern about a smooth parent?? unless you only want a rough.
Our smooth puppy we recently purchased was one of a litter of 5, smooth mother, rough father. They had 4 smooth and one rough in the litter. Can't help with breeders as we are in the UK.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Roug Coat Daddy - Smooth Mama - will rough pups be as fu

Post by Grab »

Having a smooth coat as a parent has no bearing on the coats of the rough coated offspring. Both of my dogs have both smooths and roughs as parents and both have had rough coated siblings go on to successfully show