General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

egallag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Just adopted

Post by egallag »

Hi,

My daughter works for the Humane Society and over the past month and a half she has fallen in love with a Chow named Allie. Allie was brought in as a stray but looks like she may have been used for breeding. Allie came in fully matted and with heartworm. After taking our dog to the shelter on Friday to meet Allie we told her she could bring her home. Our dog is male mixed Aussie about 5 years old and they estimate Allie to be around 5 years old, they seemed to get along fine when meeting at the shelter. But...we also have 4 cats at the house (we have a BIG house) so I was worried about the cats.

Allie has been here for 4 hours so far and so far so good. The cats are curious and Allie seems fine with that, her and our dog are doing ok also. I have read so much about Chows so I worry, but she is sweet, laid back and seemed to just lull right into our home, she found a dog bed (which our dog NEVER uses) and made it her own, she has tolerated the cats so far and wants to make friends with Quiqley (our dog).

I have another daughter who does not live at home, but frequently visits with her German Sheppard pup (around 7 mos old), she lives about 1.5 hours away but I told her she has to come home for the next few weekends with the dog so that everyone can get along.

Allie is shaved and tired and I think happy just to be here (we are certainly happy), I want to make sure that we introduce her and socialize her so that we can be one big happy family :). She really seems to be fine with all of us loving on her. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks!
Beth
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Just adopted

Post by chica_2626 »

Sounds like you've done all you can for now (I'm assuming she'll be starting heartworm treatment?) in trying to make sure everyone is okay with each other prior to bringing her home. Animals personalities can change though once they're free from the shelter environment, so the next couple weeks will require your attention. I wouldn't leave the dogs unsupervised for a few weeks until you can be certain there will be no fighting. Other than that it sounds like you're off to a great start! : )
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Congratulations on your new addition! :) And thank you for rescuing!

As chica_2626 said, it seems like you've done pretty much all you can do at the moment and I also agree in not leaving them alone unsupervised for a while. But another thing, has she been to the vet? When I adopted my Aussie mix, Dixie, last October, she brought kennel cough into our pack(then we had 4 other dogs), so that's something to ask the vet about.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Thank you for rescuing and welcome to the wonderful world of Chows. If she was used as a breeder, she is probably well used to other dogs, and will get along with them fine. However, if she is HW positive and on medication, really watch her with the GSD pup. She shouldn't be exercised that much while being treated. Her stamina isn't what it should be and if he gets really frisky he can wear her out too much. They can meet and greet, but their interaction for a while should be very quiet and relaxed.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
egallag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by egallag »

Thank you all so much for the advice. She came into the HS with heart worm and she is being treated, has about another month to go and will go back there for visits for the next 4 weeks until they officially release her, but I figure better for her to be recovering in our home than the room with the glass wall in the Humane Society.
We have been keeping a close eye on her and the other animals and at night Quigley sleeps with my husband and I and Allie has a nice setup in my daughter's room. Fortunately my husband works from home so we have someone there pretty much 24/7, hoping this will allow us to make it comfortable for her as she recovers and help her learn who everyone is :). She seems to like the cat food so we had to quickly change that arrangement up last night, one of the cats had bowls in my daughters room and she said Allie got a little antsy when the cat came in to eat late last night, quick fix we moved the bowls in with the rest of the Cat food in another room helped Allie relax and the cat did not seem to mind. No issues this morning, one of the cats came into the kitchen to eat and Allie was standing close by, I watched and she had no reaction, just glanced over and went and laid down.
My husband called me at work today and said she has been following him everywhere, he said she seems to be only slightly curious about the cats.
I will definitely not let the GS pup wear her out and the visits should only be for a day or two at a time, just enough so they all get acquainted.
Never having had a Chow before and reading so many good things, but some things that i admit make me nervous, I just want to make sure we create the right environment for all of us.
She will certainly get plenty of love and attention from all of the creatures in my home :) Our 14 year old Russian Blue Cat stared her into submission last night, Charlie, or King Charles as we call him, lets everyone know who is boss not through action but some sort of psychic vibe LOL.

I am sure I will be coming back for advice and maybe a story or two and soon some pics. Thanks again!!
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about her progress! Sounds like she's settling in great!
egallag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by egallag »

1st pics of Allie in her new home. She had to be shaved because she was so matted and still feeling a little under the weather, but I think she is beautiful :)
Attachments
2nd pic
2nd pic
allie2.jpg (95.55 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
1st pic
1st pic
allie.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J & C »

Congratulations on your new addition! She is adorable. Sounds like success in progress!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

She is beautiful even shaved I agree..What a darling face she has.. congrats..hope all works out for you...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

She is indeed very pretty, even shaved. And I love the dropped ear. I can also see a little bit of worry in those eyes though, which I'm sure will go away in time. She's just getting to know all of you and is a bit unsure. Patience is the key, along with respect and learning her ways as she learns yours. In some ways think of her as a really shy, very large cat that you just took in. When it comes to their behavior in new circumstances chows are often much more catlike than dog like.

I often think that those who have owned cats make the best chow owners.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Love the pictures! If she's that adorable shaved down, can't wait to see pictures once it's all grown back!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

One word ... GORGEOUS!!! Okay, two ... CUTIE PIE!!! She has the face of an angel ... a chow chow angel. How lovely!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

She is a pretty girl! Keep doing what you are doing and. It seems like you are off to a great start!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand