Help with new chow owner who is clueless

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Help with new chow owner who is clueless

Post by nean007 »

I found out from my vet that they have a new client who purchased a chow puppy at 6 weeks old. This might even be this person's FIRST DOG. This puppy is now 12 weeks old and a prissy, snotty little thing that is already nipping at people's shins if she feels they are ignoring her (insert collective face smack here). I have volunteered to sit down with this client, along with another staff member who is also a chow advocate, and go over CHOW BASICS 101. Basically, it is an intervention to stop this owner from raising a dog that could easily turn into an attacker and end up being put down because of it (or at the very least rehomed). Evidently, this young woman is very open to learning how to be a good dog mom but doesn't quite get that being a good CHOW mom is an entirely different story. When I start talking chows with people, I have a tendency to ramble. What do you all think would be the top TEN points to cover to get this person headed in the direction of success rather than the disaster we all see eventually happening?

Jeannean
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help with new chow owner who is clueless

Post by Katjusa »

socialization. It's the key with chows really. If the puppy has had all it's shots then the owner should take it anywhere. Let people pet her, praise her when she does well and don't comfort her when she back away from ppl.

then I suppose some house rules should be okay, to ensure that the puppy's not the boss.

school

basics in grooming. Even if she's planning on taking her chow to the groomer she should know how things are done

... well that's all I can think of now

(I'm off to an exam at university now. wish me luck)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Help with new chow owner who is clueless

Post by Victory »

1) Bite inhibition--this puppy obviously really needs it--VERY important--no mouthing, not pulling with the mouth, none of that.
2) NILF--nothing in life is free--a good and proven way to establish who is the boss,
3) I am the boss and I have the right to touch you anywhere on your little body. This helps with grooming, it helps with vet visits and it helps control a startle response if someone, (especially a child) touches them unexpectedly.
4) respect both for and from the puppy. A chow is not a golden retriever, is not even a rottie. They are a companion, a best friend, a partner. The chow knows things you dont and you know things the chow doesn't while you should always be the leader, you should also respect their input.
5) patience--always be patient with a chowling--good leaders are patient and respectful
6) timeouts for unwanted behaviors like nipping. A good 15 minutes to be alone and think about it. This means not even looking at the puppy who is being put in a time out.
7) None of this is actually harsh, or being mean to the puppy. Dogs who have assumed the leadership role are not happy. They are stressed because they have to worry about everything, food, water, what to do, security, all that stuff. It causes illness and can lead to early death from illness. Be a good leader to and for your chow and you are doing them a favor, giving them a healthy and happy life.
8) good food--no corn, no wheat if possible--no artificial colors, flavors etc.
9) presistence--never give a command to a chow unless you are prepared to see it obeyed. chows are stubborn, even when they know how to sit, they may refuse, just to test you. Repeat as necessary until they sit. Praise only if the command is obeyed quickly, if you have to repeat, say what I do, "It's about time." in a not pleased voice.
10) do not plead with a chow to do something...no little voice, trying to coax them into something. Commands given in a no nonsense voice for wanted behaviors only. And firm NOs inn the same voice for unwanted behaviors.

I've taken to saying this: "Most dogs are like two year old children; a two year old is only a problem because they don't understand danger, so they have to be watched all the time. A chow is like a three year old child, who understand more about danger and limits, but wants to defy them and authority anyway."

Hope this helps and you can get it across to her.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!