8 Week Old Female Chow - Scared/Shy HELP

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

saraisjolly
Rank 0
Rank 0

8 Week Old Female Chow - Scared/Shy HELP

Post by saraisjolly »

I got a Chow Chow last Tuesday from a breeder in MO. I was told to take her everywhere with me - which I do. Out to dinner, to get ice cream, pet stores, and so on. In public places she is pretty accepting of strangers - sometimes she will have her tail between her legs sometimes she doesn't - but she lets people of all ages pet her - but she does stay somewhat close to me. She has been very dog friendly (I have her in a puppy class once a week). What I am most concerned about is when I have people over to my apartment - she runs away and barks at them and even growls on occasion. I am moving to North Carolina in a month to be closer to my family so I will have people over a lot more - how can I get her to be more friendly. Granted I have only had her for 5 days I'm just worried. She has gotten comfortable with two of my friends already. She doesn't like to get close to people when on walks around my apartment complex either. My family didn't support my decision to get a chow because of the things they have "heard" so I am determined to have a friendly accepting dog.
Attachments
chow babe.jpg
chow babe.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 8 Week Old Female Chow - Scared/Shy HELP

Post by Blackbear »

Dont worry. This is not unsusal and you seem to be doing the right things. You must be firm with her though. No smacking just a firm no if she shows agression towards strangers. Your puppy trainer will help with the right commands you just need to be consistent. Her home is her territiory and this what they do.
Nice girl too.
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

What a cutie!! My two were a little timid at first as well, but they snapped out of it. They are 7 months old now and love everybody!!
Live well, Laugh often, Love much
Jazzminesong
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

What a cutie! I wouldn't worry either. Like Blackbear said, it's her territory and her instinct, not only as a dog, but as a Chow especially, to protect it. She is only small and is probably a little overwhelmed and maybe a bit intimidated when great big strangers come in, and no doubt want to pet her or even try to pick her up, I'd run too. I would suggest maybe getting people to actually ignore her and just hang out and visit just like they did before you got your puppy. Let her be the one to come out and explore when she is comfortable with it, not when your friends are. I'm pretty sure you'll find that if friends or family don't make a fuss over her she will be much more calm. I'm no dog expert but I've had Chows for 30 years and the two I have now turned out perfect. Of course I am a little bit prejudice.
No matter where you go, there you are.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

It seems to me you are going to have to really spend extra time socializing her. I think when you are working with a chow chow that comes home on the shy side it is extremely important to put the effort into socializing, socializing, socializing. I think you putting her in puppy class is great! You don't want shyness to be a way of life for her.... she will not be a balanced dog. I agree with the other comments take her everywhere with every opportunity you get. Remember chows are not labs and they will never be extremely fond of having everyone come up to them and hold them or pet them. She is also just a little one yet so spend the time giving her all the attention and love you can. Best of luck.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

She is a cutie! It sounds like you are doing everything pretty much right from what I know about chows. When I first got my pup I made sure I had people coming over frequently and I took him everywhere too. He was not shy to begin with but I just tried to make sure he didn't get the idea in his head that being around other people or animals was a strange or frightening thing. You just need to let her know that her behavior with strangers in the home is not okay.
Freud'smom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Freud'smom »

Out of curiosity did you get your chow from DJS puppies in MO? I just got my puppy from that breeder as well.

I have noticed my pup was initially afraid of people and loud cars. It seems natural for them to be scared if around things they are not familiar. We live in a suburb of Milwaukee with a great down town. We started walking the pup on the side streets and then the street closer to the main road and then finally on the sidewalk on the main road through town. The more Freud got used to the traffic noise the more he isn't afraid and spook when cars drive by. The only thing we haven't gotten him used to is the sound the bus makes. He is also getting less worried when he hears people, although he does still tend to slow his walk and is more cautious he doesn't completely halt in his tracks anymore. I think the more exposure your new puppy gets the better she will be.

Gool luck (she is a cuite!) and looks a lot like my pup-another reason why I wondered if being from MO they may be brother and sister!
saraisjolly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saraisjolly »

I got her from RHR Chows in Ava, MO. Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate them all and will defiantly keep taking her everywhere with me =)
Kendall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kendall »

I am having the same problem with my 10 week old chow. My friend came to visit from out of town and he went crazy as soon as she stepped foot into the backyard. We went in the house and he hid under the couch and barked and growled for 30 mins. We ignored him and eventually he came out. He still was very skiddish around her. It took some food and about 4 hrs and he was fine. He even slept by her that night. But come the next day when we were playing with him, he went into crazy protective mode. I was really worried so I emailed the breeder and she said the same things you guys are saying. Just take him places and just have the new person ignore him until he comes around. But this incident sure did take me by surprise cause he's such a freaking cutey pie with my boyfriend and I, and I had no idea he had this side to him. But I guess it's partly my fault, I was so overprotective about taking him in public because he doesn't have all his shots and heaven forbid he pick something up. But it looks like i just need to be more social and have people come over to the house.