General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Freud'smom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sneezing...

Post by Freud'smom »

Hi All,

I guess I am just a little curious if any of your chow babies do this or have done this in the past. My little Freud is just shy of 3 months old. He love, love LOVES to be scratched on the belly. However whenever he does he flips on his back and before he gets up he ALWAYS sneezes.

It makes me wonder if this is something unique to chows or just unique to my Freud. I know animals can get allergies but I don't notice his eyes weaping or any other signs of allergies.

Glad to have this forum and glad to be a first time Chow owner. He is learning quickly and I've taught him how to sit and he LOVES to be brushed. We're still working on getting him to walk down stairs in the house-he'll do the large cement ones outside but is a little intimidated by the carpeted small ones and I'm also trying to curb the puppy play biting. He is teething so that is part of the problem and we've gotten him plenty of teethers but he prefers to knaw on hands which we highly discourage!!!! We've enrolled in puppy classes starting in a couple of weeks when he is all up to date on shots. I'm hoping we can show off having such a well behaved puppy. He loves other dogs and doesn't bark at them or people. I've spent a ton of time socializing him with people in the neighborhood and our friends kids. He is off to a great start...except for me worrying about all the sneezing!

Freud's mom
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sneezing...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

:lol: ALL of our dogs do it(chow/lab mix, GSD mix, yorkie, chihuahua, and my chow who passed). My best friend's labs do it too. And my aunt's Rhodesian Ridgebacks. So, my experience is: all dogs do it. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Both my boys do this as well. Doesnt stop them from wanting a scratch though.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry does this ALL the time - usually in OH's face lol :lol:
Thank you Sweatpea
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Boogie does this all the time. He also kicks his legs really hard up in the air while he is sneezing. My other two don't do it but they also don't spend as much time on their backs as Boogie. My Pekingese Teekie didn't know what they were doing when they started rolling when he first got here. Now that he is Boogie's sidekick, he has started to roll but he will bark instead of sneeze.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

hi
my hugo bear (chowchow) sneezes when he is upside down for grooming. He is happy to lay on his side, but when he is completely upside down, he sneezes and is not happy so I just do it side by side.
Bless you.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Brisco does it quite often but not everytime. What he does do that I find very funny because i've never taught him this as a trick or anything, is. He sneezes?sp
when he wants my attention. Basically if i'm doing anything at all like working on the car standing in the kitchen or whatever.When he wants me to acknowledge him, he sneezes. It's pretty cute, and he'll do it several times if you don't pay attention to him.
No matter where you go, there you are.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Kimba (RIP 06/03/11) would come into the room (or wherever we were) and sneeze at us. This meant that she either A) wanted to go out or [most often] B) wanted to go for a walk. If she just wanted to go out, she would then proceed to stamp a foot once or twice, nudge my husband (or grab his wrist as she was taught). If she wanted to go for a walk, her sneeze would be followed by my favorite, "Hah-rummmmmmmmph." Oh, how I miss her little sounds.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)