new/old Chows ignoring each other

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

new/old Chows ignoring each other

Post by AlwaysTango »

I have adopted many Chows before, but never really come across this situation before. Usually when I adopt a new Chow, the Chow I have either loves the new one right away and they are fast friends, or hates them and it becomes a training issue for them to just get along. I have never encountered a neutral/ignore each other situation until now. We have a 5 year old female (adopted 1 1/2 years ago), a 3 year old (adopted 1 year ago) and recently decided to adopt a 5 year old male. He has been here less than a week, and is very sweet. He will play with toys, and will be loving towards us, but the girls stick together and ignore him, and he ignores the girls. Occasionally they will sniff each other, but that is about it. I saw the youngest girl, my diva, snarl at him once when he walked on her bed while she was on it, but other than that there has been no aggression. It's really more of a 'meh' attitude towards each others. The girls are the best of friends, and in fact the older one is acting very motherly towards the younger one since the new Chow arrived. I want everyone to be happy in the situation, however none of them seem really happy, they just all seem to be existing with each other, no more no less. Before, the girls were very happy and playful with each other, but now they don't play or act happy. I know I'm probably rushing things.The new Chow acts rather forlorn, like he knows he's not wanted. I really do think he would play with the girls if they would act accepting towards him...I think he's somewhat afraid of them. I know they all have had a lot to adapt to in the last week. I'm probably being overly anxious.

Do you guys think it will get better? Any tips? We have tried playing with them all, taking them for walks together, giving them treats together...they are not ugly towards each other in these situations, they just act like the other ones don't exist. Again, I have adopted many Chows over the years (because we tend to adopt older Chows we have been there, done that many times) and have never seen this situation. I'm just little lost on what to do. Maybe the thing to do it just let it run its course, but I know how stubborn Chows can be, and don't want to let them ingrain behavior in their brains, so that it continues forever. I do know it could be worse, but I really hope they can be friends.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: new/old Chows ignoring each other

Post by Sarahloo »

Hi!
Congrats on adopting not one, not two, but three dogs in need! =D= =D= =D=
Don't give up just yet! Ignoring each other is not the worst thing that they could be doing! You can work with that! They will get used to each other, if you stay strong and insist that they do! Those three owe you and they will remember it, if you keep reminding them. If I were you, I would just ignore the tension and be all easy-breezy around them! They will relax in no time!
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J & C »

I can just picture this!! Little stinkers! Your description was adorable. Let us know how it developes!
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Ok, you're not going to believe this, but just hours after I posted this I found the answer to my problem. I have not attempted to groom the new Chow since he got here, wanted to give him a few days to settle in first. The girls got heavily groomed two days after he arrived. Today I decided that he needed to be groomed, so I set down and went to work. I noticed both girls watching me from around the corner (they don't really like to be groomed), but I assumed they thought they were next. I worked on him for about 30 minutes, and then I let them all out in the backyard. Imagine my surprise, when the little diva came right up to him and started sniffing him. Then she started acting like she wanted to play with her sister. I encouraged them, and the next thing I know she was playing with both her sister and new brother! woo-hoo! Apparently, they needed to see him get 'the torture', to feel that he had paid the same dues they had, and to know that they all had a common enemy (Mum when she is in grooming mode)! LOL! Conniving Chows!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so glad they're all playing together now! :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

It could have been he didn't quite smell right to them, and a good grooming, got rid of the "doggy" smell and made him smell more like a chow to them. Silly chows, so picky! Glad they decided to become friends though.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Sounds like things are going better. Having done this many times, you already know those Chows will do things slowly. I'm still waiting to see what happens with a non-Chow puppy my DH brought into the home 2 months ago...sometimes Lily likes her, other times, not so much. We would love to see photos of the three if you have them to post!