crate training

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

crate training

Post by oceans »

Hi everyone, I would like to know everyone's thoughts on crate training. I have a 8 week old who absolutely cannot stand to go in her crate. I have tried treats and praising her but she is at the point where if she knows you are going to put her in there she stiffens up and wiggles like a little worm. I work 4-5 hours a day is this to long for her to be in her crate? I have had her for a week ( I stayed home last week with her) and she is actually a very good and smart little girl. With regards to potty training we only have had a hand full of accidents. Mostly because I was got busy doing something else and she was quicker then me. All in all our first week has been very good. I hate to leave her when I go to work but she does need to eat :lol:
rbruck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: crate training

Post by rbruck »

I don't think any dogs like the crate at first but I think they're important for the dogs safety/security while you're gone, at least until they're old enough to not get into stuff. I've never crated a chow but I had an enormously difficult time with my GSD/pit puppy a few years ago. I tried EVERYTHING to get her to go in willingly and eventually I had to just put her in there myself. I know people say not to force dogs into a crate and she certainly didn't like it the first few times but once she realized it wasn't a game and she didn't have a choice she would go in all on her own. Of course, then she figured out how to break out while I was at work which was an entirely different issue haha. I still don't know how she did that!
I've heard with a puppy that young it can be rough to be a in crate for that long. I didn't have a choice in my situation (I work weird/late hours, sometimes 10+ hours a day) and she did alright. Again, other than the whole busting out thing.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

I would never crate chow unless absolutely necessary. They hate being crated and develop phobias very easily. Chows are normally born potty trained and although you may have a few accidents this is normally one of the easier things to deal with.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I have to agree with Blackbear. Do you really feel the need to Crate your dog, and if so, why? I don't agree with crating any dog. I won't even go on a holiday if I can't find someone to house sit. I'm sure without a doubt that locking my dogs in a cage, even the size of the ones at a good kennel, would change my dogs behaviour and attitude beyond repair. A Chow is not a "normal" dog. Can't you confine it to a smaller area than the run of the whole house? Maybe the laundry/kitchen area or even maybe a bathroom?
No matter where you go, there you are.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Brisco wrote:I have to agree with Blackbear. Do you really feel the need to Crate your dog, and if so, why? I don't agree with crating any dog. I won't even go on a holiday if I can't find someone to house sit. I'm sure without a doubt that locking my dogs in a cage, even the size of the ones at a good kennel, would change my dogs behaviour and attitude beyond repair. A Chow is not a "normal" dog. Can't you confine it to a smaller area than the run of the whole house? Maybe the laundry/kitchen area or even maybe a bathroom?
I appreciate your opinion very much. I have never liked the idea of crating a dog but it seems like everywhere you turn everybody is telling you to crate. I hear and read that the crate is like a den and they prefer to go there. But my thought is a den does not have a door on it, so is it really like a den? I think all in all she has only been in her crate a couple of times since we've had her. She threw such a fit at night that I could not stand keeping her in there any longer. I must admit I broke the rules and got her out and I slept in the family room with her and she slept like a baby next to me. It's been that way for the last several nights. She is only 8 weeks old so when I feel that she is older and more dependent then I will let her have the run of the house at night. Matilda (formerly Jasmine) has such a great personality about her that I was afraid crating her would break it(sounds dumb I know). I just want her to be the best she can be. This forum is awesome to be able to read and get advice from others that have chow experience. Thanks again!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Blackbear wrote:I would never crate chow unless absolutely necessary. They hate being crated and develop phobias very easily. Chows are normally born potty trained and although you may have a few accidents this is normally one of the easier things to deal with.
Thanks for the information; I did not realize chows can develop phobias. This is great information to know and remember. Matilda has been doing excellent on potty training so I think I will just keep her in the kitchen when I have to leave the house.
rbruck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rbruck »

oceans wrote:
Blackbear wrote:I would never crate chow unless absolutely necessary. They hate being crated and develop phobias very easily. Chows are normally born potty trained and although you may have a few accidents this is normally one of the easier things to deal with.
Thanks for the information; I did not realize chows can develop phobias. This is great information to know and remember. Matilda has been doing excellent on potty training so I think I will just keep her in the kitchen when I have to leave the house.
Any dog can develop phobias actually; I'm not an expert but I think it depends a lot on leadership and how you expose them to new things. Opinions clearly vary, but I don't think any breed is more susceptible to developing a phobia than another.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I think that rbruck might be correct about any dog being able to develop phobias but, I've never known a breed of dog that has a memory like a Chow. It's incredible to me how long it takes a chow to forget something, as a matter of fact, i don't think they do, they just eventually forgive. Luckily, I don't need to raise my voice much, if ever to my dogs. But if anyone ever really yells at either one of them, especially the girl she won't go near them for weeks sometimes. Many breeds, the owner can practically beat there dog to death and it will just run back to them for forgiveness, wondering what it did wrong. Chows ARE different than most.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Crates are a great way to protect your Chow and your home during those early house training and chewing stages. It needn't be traumatic. The key is to limit the length of time you crate your Chow. I had Lily use one until the age of 6 months when she could be reasonably trusted. I crated her over-night and for short spells during the day. She was not the least bit phased by it.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

WE put our 8 week boy in the bathroom for the first night as we worried our older boy would hurt him during the night. He went crazy and after a short time we let him out and he laid down beside our bed slept the whole night with out a peep. He is now 9months and he will not set one foot inside that bathroom. I agree most dogs can develop phobias but chows have memories like elephants and I think they are affected differently to most other dogs.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki came crate trained by the breeder to us and she never feared going in to her crate, she stayed at night in her crate till she was about 9months to a year . She had a crate that was wire cage like and a plastic bottom to it and she loved it. But one of our sitters used a plastic crate with just the front wire to see out and she didn't like that at all.(kind like you use for airplanes I think) Nor does she like being put in a bathroom .. It seems she must be able to see all around her. My nephew had a rotty who riped apart a bathroom once when someone tried to put him in there during the daytime while they were out..and it was just a pup maybe 6months.
We don't crate Nikki anymore she never had issues with her crate just we felt she was fine out in the kitchen. She never was a chewer and she didn't mess so there was no need to crate but the sitter still crates her at night and shes fine with it. She has 3 dogs of her own so 4 dogs running around at night would be nuts..no one would sleep..LOL all 3 of her dogs get a crate and we bring Nikki's wire one since she doesn't like the plastic type. Its funny to watch them all 4 go to the crate and sit inside and wait for their treat and shut the door and bedtime.. (her dogs are border collies that are very well trained and go on command, Nikki just follows them and does what they do). I have always crated my dogs while they were pups and never had a problem they actually went in their crates during the day to rest with out the door being shut even.. I guess its all in what they are use to . we couldn't bring them into the bedroom because my husband has asthma. So she stays down stairs in the kitchen at night but has the run of the house during the day and doesn't even come up stairs.