How much exercise?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rbruck
Rank 0
Rank 0

How much exercise?

Post by rbruck »

Just curious how much exercise your chows get/need! I had always heard they were couch potato dogs but mine (she's 8 and I adopted her a month ago today from the shelter) is pretty athletic! I've been walking her around 5 miles a day and would do more if it weren't like 100 degrees here all the time. Today I took her skateboarding for the first time for a few miles and she did great so I totally plan on doing more of that with her when it's not so hot. My akita that I had previously was a terrible skateboarder (he weighed 120+ lbs and would occasionally decide he wanted to stop and smell stuff which would send me flying haha). Of course, the first time she sees a stupid prairie dog or lizard I will probably end up going flying again, but oh well. Anyway, just curious how everyone elses dogs are with exercise!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How much exercise?

Post by chowpups »

Nikki falls into the couch potatoe catagory .. she will have a burst of energy (zoomie outside usually)then lay there like she ran 5 miles. My son took her on a walk once and had to call on his cell phone that she just laid there and refused to go any further,and needed a ride home. I said where are you??? He said the next street over. I thought he was joking but he wasn't .. She just doesn't like long walks and I mean really not long walks .. 1/2 mi to a mile is about it.. shes done.. she is all chow .. My other chow was a mix would go for ever and pull my son on his roller blades.. but she did have german shepherd in her too.
And yes I would watch for those prairie dogs, that would be something Nikki would probably run for ever for..too
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

My 4 year-old boy Loha has always gone on many, many daily walks and our current routine includes 4 per day. And every time he still acts like he can hardly wait to go on his first walk ever. I would say that we average at least 3-4 miles per day. The rest of the time he is usually sleeping.

Loha's Dad
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Katjusa »

My Shosha has loads of energy, but she is only 7 months old :mrgreen: but I believe she'll stay quite active
It depends on the dog... some have more, some less energy. I just think that we as owners should observe and we'll see when they've had enough :mrgreen: there really are no rules
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My purebred girl, who recently passed, would only walk about 1/2 a mile to a mile a day. She wasn't much for walks. Now, let her loose and she would've run 8 miles! :lol:

My mix boy, Jasper(lab/chow), and my mix girl, Dixie(GSD/Aussie/chow?/???); they both walk anywhere from 1-2 miles a day(I'm sure they'd do more, but it's just too hot lately). They prefer to play and do zoomies in the backyard. :lol: My dogs are just weird. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki is 4 also , but she never tolerated much in activity . She does do the same thing as Loha she will go for multiple walks.. and enjoy each one like the first but not too long at any one time.. she's no hiking buddy for sure. LOL Even her play is limited to a few minutes then rest. But I agree each dog is different and you'll find your dogs limit very easily.. just watch for signs . Nikkis obviously was the sit down sign.. LOL..
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

If I let him, Loo would walk all day. Walking is what he likes best, it's as simple as that.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

There are two types of chows, the ones you see in the show ring, heavy bodied, heavy boned and they are mostly couch potatoes. Then there are the lighter boned, lighter bodied, ones that look more like first chows. They are very athletic, and can move all day long. If you have one of these, then 3-5 mile walks per day are not out of the norm. My ten year old girl can still walk all day, I've had her at the MN Ren Fest and she's walked that thirty-five acre site with no proplems. Just watch the exercise in hot weather, chows will keep going even when they over heat. So if it's 70 degrees and humid, keep the exercise down to 15-20 minutes max. If it's not humid, but 80+ keep the exercise to 15-20 minutes again.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I'd give anything for 70 degree weather, It has been 3 weeks of 95 here in North Georgia but Maggie still insist on her afternoon walks. 2 or 3 times a week I'll take her for a swim in our State park, hang on to the halter and let her tread water just to tire her out for she has so much energy. Rest of week we walk for 45 minutes in late afternoon after the sun has gone down and we walk everyday. Keeps us both in shape.
rbruck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rbruck »

Victory wrote:There are two types of chows, the ones you see in the show ring, heavy bodied, heavy boned and they are mostly couch potatoes. Then there are the lighter boned, lighter bodied, ones that look more like first chows. They are very athletic, and can move all day long. If you have one of these, then 3-5 mile walks per day are not out of the norm. My ten year old girl can still walk all day, I've had her at the MN Ren Fest and she's walked that thirty-five acre site with no proplems. Just watch the exercise in hot weather, chows will keep going even when they over heat. So if it's 70 degrees and humid, keep the exercise down to 15-20 minutes max. If it's not humid, but 80+ keep the exercise to 15-20 minutes again.
Yeah, that sounds more like mine. She's got a kinda pointier wolf/bear looking face than the lion look. It's never humid here but it's been almost 100 lately so I'm trying to keep it under a half hour per walk. She sure loves running though!
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Dixie, my girl struggles on a 1 mile walk, even in cool weather. Brisco, my boy, on the other hand would go forever if you had the time or energy. I do only walk them about 1 mile, 3 times a week but luckily I live on 6 acres fully fenced, so they get lots of excercise on there own. The funny thing is that they still just want to get on the other side of the gate even if you just walk down the same fence line and back, they seem completely satisfied.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily does 2 miles and would go as far as I did, but she never takes a leisurely walk, it's smell smell smell...walk fast past homes with barking dogs in fenced areas, then smell smell smell again. We are walking along with Haley's new dog, so we go a bit slower than when we are alone.
Elyssa_38
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Elyssa_38 »

My baby Fiona loves to walk...but shes the kind that smells smells rush rush smell smell lol we walk to the park, do two laps (1mile) and walk back home and shes done hahaha she will spread every little fat she has on the floor and rest hahaha! I love her!
ImageImage