Welcome new puppy Jasmine

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Welcome new puppy Jasmine

Post by oceans »

I just adopted an 8 week old puppy. Her name is Jasmine. I will probably call her Jazz most of the time. The gentleman I purchased her from has had chows for the last 25 years and said that all (3) of his chows are very sociable. I brought her home tonight and she did wonderful. Walked around the yard with her tail up and acted like she has been with us forever. Not much seemed to faze her. I need to keep socializing her and I would like to have some advice on how to do this. My kids are grown so I do not have little ones running around so my house seems to be pretty calm and quiet most of the time. I look forward to spending as much time with her as possible. Thanks
Zhuyos mom

Re: Welcome new puppy Jasmine

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site. What I did was bring my chowlings to the pet store with me, as well as to the groomers and the vets. I allowed them to give them hugs and treats, etc. Then I took one of them to puppy kindergarten and then to off leash play with other puppies and eventually teen dogs. So I suggest after she gets her shots, enroll her in a puppy kindergarten class. Often other dog owners bring their children with them to help with training and you can expose/socialize Jasmine to the little ones that way with the bonus of it being in responsible surroundings.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Thanks for the advice. What do you think about crate training? Jazz did pretty good last night she was put in her crate at 10:00 and she slept till about 11:30 and then she started crying pretty good. I got up and held her for a little bit and then put a stuffed animal in there with her ( I thought maybe she was missing her siblings and momma) and she quieted down and I got her up at 5:45 this morning to go outside and potty. I just feel like I have to do everything correct because the last chow I had was so shy and I really could never get her to come out of it. So all advice that I am given is much appreciated. Thanks again!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Congratulations!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix