New owner question, puppy or older?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sarmiento
Rank 0
Rank 0

New owner question, puppy or older?

Post by Sarmiento »

Hi all, I've been a long time stalker of this forum and decided to finally create an account. I have a couple concerns and any help/advice/tips would be appreciated.

I was looking for a chow puppy, but a breeder contacted me saying that he also had a 2 year old female available. This female chow was a show dog and was not going to be used in breeding. I was hesitant at first, but the images were so adorable! I was told her temperament was sweet and she is well socialized. I can't think of any reasons to not take her in, but I am concerned about the transition for the dog. I grew up with a german shepard/golden retriever mix but I am no where close to a professional like her current owner. Will I have problems with this girl obeying me? I also wanted my puppy chow to get used to hugs. Will it be hard to get close to an older show dog? I have read that chows tend to be more stubborn than most breeds, will she adapt to me and my personality?

Am I better off getting a puppy, or will I be okay with an older ex show dog? How should I go about this?
Zincer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New owner question, puppy or older?

Post by Zincer »

We got ours from SPCA at 6 years of age. We could not have asked for a better companion. He was very careful to only go in areas of the house he was allowed to go. Never an accident in the house. Not to be explained, but after two years he has yet to do any more than water others front lawns. I've gotten to not carrying baggies.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Visit the breeder and see the dog. If the dog was in shows, then she should be trained to act well around other dogs and people. Additionally, show judges are going to examine the dog, which will involve touching. You will probably get a well trained and socialized dog. The breeder does not want to show a dog with problems.
Puppies are fun, but they pee on the floor and chew on the furniture and require a LOT of attention. They require a lot of work for socialization. My son liked to take the dogs out in public, because he thought they were "chick magnets", so mine got a lot of opportunities to be in public. You have to have the time to devote to a puppy.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Sarmiento wrote:This female chow was a show dog and was not going to be used in breeding.
Please ask him why!!! Is there sth. wrong with her health or her temperament?
I don't know ... I'm usually all for getting older dogs, but that is just if they are rescues. The breeder's going to keep one of his future puppies to replace her, so the puppy is bred anyway, so you might as well get it! I couldn't bear to be the one to tear this dog away from her home of two years! She will mourn the loss of her beloved home, and why should you do that to yourself? And yes, she is going to be set in her ways, and you might not be able to change some of these ways!
But it's your choice! If you love her already, it doesn't make any sense not to get her! But Chow puppies are the cutest of all puppies! :oops:
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Katjusa »

Isn't it true that chows tend to "choose" their owner?
If the chow is 2 years old I don't know how she will bond with her new owners ... she's had a nice home till now, it's not like taking in a rescue
You never know though ... I'd definately visit them. If she's properly socialized should make a lovely pet with little work
and Ursa's daddy is right ... puppies pee :mrgreen:
mine didn't chew on furniture though :P
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

If the chow is 2 years old I don't know how she will bond with her new owners .
Dogs, even chows, when offered love, respect and good leadership, bond up to a new owner just like a puppy or any other dog.
Chows are loads more resilient than many think they are.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

We foster cared for a couple 6 year old chows that were about to be sent to the animal shelter. They bonded just fine and within a few weeks they were guarding,protecting and loving us just like our own boy.
If I was presented with a 2 year old show quality chow I would snap her up. I would get her vet checked first though.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I purchased a 7 month old female show chow from a breeder in Atlanta. She is now 3 yrs old and the most gorgeous dog I ever owned. They are stubborn, ignore you at times and lick you to death when they are in the mood.She is smart, understands most commands, enjoys being groomed and a very kind dog. Children can come up to her and I have no fear of aggresiveness.
This is my second black female for I love the personality. I have won obedience ribbons with my past {non chows} dogs. Chows have a mind of their own when it comes to heeling, do not expect
a Chow to walk by your side unless you want to spend lots of time, they need the exercise to keep them calm and I walk her everyday just to keep us both in shape. If she has been shown all this time then you may have better luck with the heeling and paying attention to you. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact she is 3 yrs old today.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

A lot of time, a pup chosen for show will grow into traits that the breeder didn't anticipate for the ring. It is a tough game and there is no sense showing a bitch that cannot win. The same with breeding her. I would make sure it is not something like hips or elbows, and get it in writing. If her nose is a little too long, then great! While it is true she is not a true 'rescue', so what? Her breeder is being responsible and getting her a loving home where she will be the Queen in her owner's eyes.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Most show dogs of any breed are very well trained and socialized. They have to be to go into a ring. Also she's most likely used to sharing time with other dogs with a handler, (a lot of breeders hire handler/trainers to show their dogs) She'll be happy to have a person all her own to be with, it will be a change for her, but a welcome one I'm sure. There are several reasons the breeder may have chosen not to breed her; 1 is of course health issues, I'd ask about those, especially joint issues which would show up at about two years of age. But also it could be that she just doesn't fit the breeder's over all plan. Most breeders have a general long term plan in the type of dog they want to breed and sometimes, as Auddymay said, a dog that looked good as a puppy, doesn't fit as an adult. These days with chows being bred to be very heavy boned with heavy heads and such, a chow with longer legs, and a slightly more athelectic build wouldn't fit some breeder's plans, (or the exact opposite could be true)

Also truthfully, if you don't have chow experience, I would HIGHLY recommend this girl as your first. She's old enough to be a CHOW, a well socialized and trained one, but still a CHOW. She'll teach you how to relate to a chow. You'll only need to remember to be; persistent, patient, confident and respectful with her, and she'll teach you that a chow is not a pet, but a companion, a best friend and a confidant. All my male chows have had the nick name of 'buddy' and my female is often called, 'little lady'.

At 2 she will demand your respect, but be willing to give hers quickly. Before you take her on, think about the behaviors in a dog you want, do you want her to be up on the furniture? No. Then establish that immediately. And the same for anythng else. Persistence is key to having a chow. And the thing is that while an adult is beautiful, there is less tendency to let them get away with a behavior because of 'cuteness'

Like I said, barring health concerns, I think this is the girl for you.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Katjusa is right on with her comment. Good dog daddies (and good mommies) learn fairly quick. The first morning Malachi made his little puppy whine, I took my time getting out of bed and finding my glasses. The result was a puddle on the floor. The next morning, I didn't bother to find my glasses, I headed for the back door to let him out. Probably a good half of dog training is having the dog train the owner.