Anyone else's male like this?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Anyone else's male like this?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Okay, so, this has happened a few times now(and I think I've figured out the trigger), but Jazz becomes aggressive around certain male dogs, weather they're neutered or not. The first 3 times, we were at Petsmart. The first time, we were getting ready to check out when a man was walking our way with a black male lab mix, and we let all the dogs sniff noses(I had Tip and Dix with me too and the man had another mix dog) and Jazz growled. I choked it up to the fact that the girls were with us. The second time, we were standing in line to get pictures taken with Santa and someone walked by with a male golden retriever and again, Jazz growled. And again, the girls were with us. Another time, we were checking out and someone got in line behind us with a little black male pomeranian who was CLEARLY aggressive. Jazz was fine until it was growling and barking at him and then he growled back, and the girls were with us, but my friend who was with us had them outside already, and as I said he'd seen the pom and didn't react negatively until it reacted to him. And this last time it happened, we were at the shelter getting Jazz his rabies shot and someone brought a male lab in behind us and I thought Jazz was gonna try to rip into that dog! But right in front of us was a male blue and white pitbull that Jazz had wanted to play with. And the pittie wasn't neutered, Jazz isn't neutered, and the lab was neutered. And I'm dumbfounded by it... Any ideas? Anyone's male(s) like this?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Anyone else's male like this?

Post by Victory »

It has to do with whether or not he feels challenged or not. Even my darling sweety Darkwind wouldn't put up with any other male trying to dominate him, and he was neutered. But he didn't accept it. None of my other males has put up with it either. Now how they can tell, is sometimes a mystery, but it might be adrenaline released by the other dog. If they can smell it in humans I'm sure they can smell it in each other. Which would explain why Jazz wanted to play with the pit bull, but not the golden, the pit wanted to play too, so no adrealine, the golden wanted to try and dominate so there was adrenaline...but that is just my theory. But Firesong often reacts to females in the same manner, and she is a spayed female and she has always done it. She also likes other dogs for the most part, but there are a few females, (spayed and not spayed) around here that I have to keep her away from.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry has very few problems with other boys, but there has been the odd occasion, more often than not with Labs, specifically black or chocolate ones #-o :shock:
Thank you Sweatpea
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Victory wrote:It has to do with whether or not he feels challenged or not. Even my darling sweety Darkwind wouldn't put up with any other male trying to dominate him, and he was neutered. But he didn't accept it. None of my other males has put up with it either. Now how they can tell, is sometimes a mystery, but it might be adrenaline released by the other dog. If they can smell it in humans I'm sure they can smell it in each other. Which would explain why Jazz wanted to play with the pit bull, but not the golden, the pit wanted to play too, so no adrealine, the golden wanted to try and dominate so there was adrenaline...but that is just my theory. But Firesong often reacts to females in the same manner, and she is a spayed female and she has always done it. She also likes other dogs for the most part, but there are a few females, (spayed and not spayed) around here that I have to keep her away from.
Thanks for the insight Victory! That's a very good point! I'm pretty sure that's what it is, Tippsy does the same thing with males and females.
Piff Poff wrote:Henry has very few problems with other boys, but there has been the odd occasion, more often than not with Labs, specifically black or chocolate ones #-o :shock:
The lab mix we had a run in with was black and the purebred lab was yellow... :? And one of Jazz's best friends was a chocolate lab(my best friend's lab, Kaiden, who passed away a month ago), they were like twins personality wise. :lol:
Jess
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

When Koda was a puppy he would play with all the neighbourhood dogs and got along great with them. However, my siser in law has a female goolden doodle (that also gets along with every dog) and when we put them together to play she would growl and bark at Koda (never biting)... but just a warning to him that she didnt like him around. I always thought that Koda (being 5 mths) was just being picked on by her. Then I was told that my sister in law could actually hear a faint "clicking"sound coming from Koda that would make her doodle react. I thought that it might be because they were both jealous of eachother... her because he was close with her family and him because she was always coming around us... I never knew that he could make noises that we couldn't really hear that set her off... it was strange.

We ended up letting them work out their issues and they are the best of friends now... just took them figuring out who the boss was.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Glad they figured it out. I just really don't want Jasper getting the "oh he's a chow! He's vicious" thing... :?
Jess
lloe86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lloe86 »

My Chewy is a pretty sweet guy and doesn't seem to care about other dogs too often, even if they are male. He can be pushed pretty far by other dogs(he is very lazy) and if they are really bothering him he barks. But I haven't experienced him growling at other dogs (that I remember, I've had him for 2 years now). I do remember that labs seem to have a problem with him. They usually are the aggressors(growling or barking) when Chewy is around. He usually ignores them, or tries to sniff them. Although, I think most of the labs (or lab mixes) have been female. It funny to see the other comments, maybe labs just don't like chows. lol.
lisharts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lisharts »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Glad they figured it out. I just really don't want Jasper getting the "oh he's a chow! He's vicious" thing... :?
I'm always facinated by the fact people think that because I've never met a vicious Chow yet, they've all been fuss pots. :D Perhaps I've just been really lucky.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

lloe86 wrote:My Chewy is a pretty sweet guy and doesn't seem to care about other dogs too often, even if they are male. He can be pushed pretty far by other dogs(he is very lazy) and if they are really bothering him he barks. But I haven't experienced him growling at other dogs (that I remember, I've had him for 2 years now). I do remember that labs seem to have a problem with him. They usually are the aggressors(growling or barking) when Chewy is around. He usually ignores them, or tries to sniff them. Although, I think most of the labs (or lab mixes) have been female. It funny to see the other comments, maybe labs just don't like chows. lol.
It's actually quite funny to think labs don't like chows... Especially with so many chow/lab mixes(like Jasper)! My best friend's labs LOVE Jazz AND Dixie NEVER had a problem with them and one of her labs is an un-neutered male. :?

lisharts wrote:
Tippsy'smom wrote:Glad they figured it out. I just really don't want Jasper getting the "oh he's a chow! He's vicious" thing... :?
I'm always facinated by the fact people think that because I've never met a vicious Chow yet, they've all been fuss pots. :D Perhaps I've just been really lucky.
I've NEVER met a vicious chow either! People are just stereotyping from the over-bred/poorly bred chows who have temperament problems.
Jess