Just adopted older chow-chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Just adopted older chow-chow

Post by abrock_ca »

Found a chow-chow wandering on a main road near our house a couple weeks ago; it was night, he was old and very tired, and it was going to rain/snow that night, so we took him home. Next day, gave him to animal control, but the owner never called to claim him so we have adopted him. Vet thinks he's probably 12 or 13; has knee problems in the back legs, his back right hip is arthritic, heart murmur. And he was a total mess - we took him to the groomer and, while the vet had killed all the fleas, she found a nest under his hair on his back and lots of ticks on his face. Poor guy! was pretty neglected, looks like. She had to shave all the fur off so except for his eyes he doesn't look much like a chow-chow right now! but it will grow back!

Anyway, assuming his owner doesn't step forward (not that I'm very happy with them right now, but I don't want to steal someone's dog), we want to give the guy a nice peaceful year or two until it's his time to go.... He's very mellow, doesn't seem to have the possessiveness or standoffishness I've read about with chow-chows. He recognized me at the vet's even though we only had him at the house for one night and then he went to animal control for awhile! seems pretty bright.

So not really any major questions except - any advice for keeping an old guy content his last year or so would be much appreciated! We do have two 6-yr-old pomeranians and five cats, but so far they all seem to be getting along. (Ok, cats are avoiding him, but that's fine!)

Anne Brock
California
Auddymay

Re: Just adopted older chow-chow

Post by Auddymay »

Good for you! Mostly just make sure there is a private corner or doorway he can call his own...he will tell you where he prefers. Many Chows don't care for dog beds, but with being shaved and arthritic he might like one. Many Chows have a high prey drive, but it souncs like your cats and poms are safe.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank you for adopting him! =D= Sounds like he's fitting in perfectly fine! :D My purebred chow girl, Tippsy(who's almost 11), has lived with 3 poms, a mini poodle, a mini schnauzer, a min pin, and she currently lives with a chihuahua and a yorkie and has lived with cats all her life, currently 5. So, if there haven't been any problems so far, I wouldn't think there would be.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Thank you so much for taking him in. He can't say it, so I did. Just give him a space where he can watch but not have to partake if he doesn't want to. Feed him well, and be sensitive to his senior tummy, get speciall treats that he can eat without problems. Just love him and baby him, let him take walks or exercise as he decides to. He'll let you know. And if he former owners come back, listen to how he got in that shape really carefylly. I don't think they will come back though, people often dump older dogs because they think they are too much trouble. And that's one thing that really, really ticks me off...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Thanks so much for taking this fellow in and giving him a home.
I'm sure his chances at the shelter would have been bleak.
I'm sure at his age he's perfectly happy to look forward to resting his head in a caring home.
Looking forward to pictures.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless him - thankyou for taking this poor old boy in.

Regards looking after him - I would think loving him and making sure he feels secure. I am sure he will appreciate a safe home, poor old boy.

He is lucky you found him and I would think if his owners did turn up you are quite within your rights to tell them to take a hike! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrock_ca »

thanks for all the good comments! had to chuckle after I got the first suggestion - not an hour or two later, the old guy was sacked out on the dog bed we have! I guess he votes for having one. Luckily our pups don't use it too much, so he can have it until we buy a bigger one for him. Looking in to ramps for the car and for the three steps we have to our back yard. And he did really good today on the morning walk - pretty darn spry for an old guy with hip problems! he outpaced my male pom on the way uphill and had no problems with the distance. Amazing. I was pretty cautious, but he really wanted to go. If he hadn't been on leash, he probably would have outpaced both poms on the way downhill!

Hate to post a picture right now since he's hairless - we'll see how he looks when it grows in!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I may have to change the food - his stool was a bit loose this morning. We'll see how it goes as he adjusts. And we're still finalizing a name....

Anne
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I feel the same as everyone else. It was a stroke of luck for the old guy to find you. Thanks!!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrock_ca »

Wanted to add a quick addendum...

Two days before we brought Jackson (our old guy - we finally have a name for him!) home, one of our cats disappeared. We were pretty worried - he's normally an inside cat, so we were very worried he had gotten eaten by a coyote or bobcat after sneaking outdoors.

Well, Jackson was home a couple days when he started sniffing at a section of the deck - sniffing, pawing, sniffing. This was where our deck meets the ground. I figured he smelled a mouse; tried to get him away from that section, but he wouldn't move. After a short while, I suddenly heard a very irritated cat growl coming up from under the decking! Yes, Jackson had found our missing cat!

We had looked under the deck, but he was holed up in a section that was hard to see in to. Once we realized he was there, we were able (though it took awhile) to get him out of there and inside again, safe and sound after 4 or 5 days in the outdoors.

Who would have thought we'd benefit from our good deed of taking Jackson in so soon? He's an amazing dog! very smart, very sweet, and a heckuva nose.

Anne
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done Jackson. =D= I love the name. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Awwwww good for you for taking in Jackson. Seniors will surprise you with the things they can do. And don't worry about the fur. It grows back really fast especially with a good quality food. We had a senior foster we got from a hoarding situation (he passed away right before Christmas after being with us for 3 years). He didn't want a bed until he was shaved. Then he loved it. What part of California are you in? I am in the Northern California in the Northbay. I had to get a ramp for my senior and was able to get a good deal on a used one on Craigslist. It made getting in and out of the backyard so much easier for him. Also, my senior was very hard of hearing and had vision issues but he could smell our cat a mile away even when he was sound asleep. Fozzie would be snoring and the cat would creep through the room and he would be up on all 4's barking within seconds. Good luck with Jackson. I am sure he will do great with you. It sounds like you are taking great care of him already.
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrock_ca »

Boogie and Linda, sounds like we're doing the same things for the old guys! I'm in Mariposa, CA so a few hours from you. Sorry your guy passed away, but glad you gave him three great years.

I'm thinking Jackson isn't as deaf as he pretends to be sometimes... but really can't complain, he's a great dog. My husband & I have been reading up on chows since getting him; based on everything we've read we would be really bad chow parents, normally, because we just aren't that good at training dogs. But this guy is already totally mellow, so we can handle him. We're thinking he must be a mix with some other mellow breed...

Re the ramp - What's funny is the ramp covers part of the steps; Jackson uses the ramp, but our pommies still use the steps - they haven't caught on yet. Jackson had no issues at all using the ramp - didn't have to coax him or anything. Well, someday the pommies will try it!

Anne
deeRose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deeRose »

looks like your chow is doing well with you... I also adopted a 6 year old male chow from a friend because she had to leave for another country with her family. He is a very large chow with big hair about 30kgs, at first I was afraid of him, he has a face that no one would ever dare to get near to..the blank stare he gives to strangers is pretty much terrifying. We had a hard time letting him get used to our house because he kept on waiting by our gate maybe hoping his owner would get him back..he would not eat and sleep... poor chow.. but after 3 days i think he got the message that he is left with us for good.

Actually, he has a tendency to attack strangers..but he is generally a good dog. He is affectionate, he tolerates me and my parents kissing him, hugging him, pulling his tail, and he even plays with us. Indeed, chows are excellent guard dogs. My adopted chow proved to be a bodyguard and a security guard all in one. What bothers me though is that he is really afraid of cameras.. and I mean REALLY REALLY REALLY AFRAID! we can't have him pose for picture or if he sees us holding a camera, he runs and hides. People who sees him wants to take a picture of him ( this happens everywhere we go, he has lots of fans) but he barks like hell at them and i swear that if they are within his reach, he will rip their cameras from their hands. And I have seen almost all veterinarians here in our place but they can't get near him.. I swear he will rip their throats off! A groomer called me to get him back because my chow looks like it will eat him alive.GOSH! I cant control him when he gets really angry. Its my fault because I fear he will bite me with his very big mouth..Maybe he has some trauma before that's y he is acting strange on some things. But generally, he is good to us..very patient, and very loving dog especially to me. He is living with us for 2 years now.
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrock_ca »

Hi, DeeRose - wow, your chow sounds like he's a tough one! but yea for you for adopting him. I think I'd be doing some doggy obedience courses if our old guy was like him. Sounds like you can handle him; I know I'm not good with aggressive dogs, so I would need help.

We've been lucky - ours is very mellow aside from a little food aggression. But no, he doesn't like cameras; it might be the flash, but he looks away or moves away when I pull the camera out, so not easy to take pics of. But he's fine with strangers -we had a dog sitter who hadn't met him yet come by the house to spend a few hours with him & our pups - we weren't there - she left a note talking about how sweet he is!

His owners never showed; no idea why, he's a wonderful dog. We take him on three short walks a day, and that's helped his hip get stronger. Not curing it, but he's moving easier than he was. I'm sure the daily pain pill helps, but the short walking is doing him good. His fur is slowly growing back. And he seems very happy to be with us.

Good luck with yours!

Anne
deeRose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deeRose »

hi anne- thanks... I bet your chow is very good tempered and very very sweet. what bothers me is his owner did not show up..maybe they let him get lost on purpose? I don't like people like that. I cant understand why they have a heart to do that to dogs. If they don't want it, they should not get it..right? It pains me to see stray dogs on streets. I mean..it really pains me.. I'm generally a dog lover. Although I'm not yet married and have no children, i treat them like they are my children.. they need our tender loving care.

your chow's hair is growing back? That's good to hear.. and its time to say hi to your new bestfriend..a vacuum cleaner..hehehe. I bought one for our house and for our cars because of my chow's hair. He sheds like sooo much.. and he really likes to ride the car.. take note..FRONT SEAT! hehehe. my parents take the back side when he comes with me. And he likes to look out from the car's window.. Almost all people stare at him when we pass by..his huge head and big hair does not fail to catch attention.. One time 2 cars almost hit each other because they were looking at him and did not pay attention to the road.. You see its not prohibited here in the Philippines to have a dog look out from the car's window as long as you don't hit another car. HAHAHAHA.

How old is your Jackson now? Do you have any idea? I will post my chow's picture here soon.. I stole a picture of him when he did not pay attention to me..
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Along with the pain pill, have you asked you vet about a pill with glucosamine & condroitin for his arthritis? About a year before my Iggy passed we started giving him a vitamin (purchased from the vet) that had those things in it. It really helped with his movement. Also you might check out ebay for shredded memory foam to add to his bed. Iggy loved that stuff (he had 3 beds so that he had a soft spot to lay in every room that I was in).
abrock_ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrock_ca »

DeeRose, thanks for the vacuum tip! And here I thought our 5 cats shed more than enough for us! Maybe we should keep him shaved<grin>.Would love to see your dog's head hanging out the car window. LOVE the front seat comment - yep, our Jackson will take the front seat if he gets the chance! But he's very good at it - doesn't try to get in my lap.

Bellachow - good idea about the pill! we have chicken planks with glucosamine, but hadn't thought about a pill.... We have been looking for cushier beds, foam's a good idea! Although most of the time he's crashed on the carpet by my feet...he's a momma's boy!

Anne
Jenjen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jenjen »

My chow Gandolph is approaching 16 years old and has trouble with his back legs, hip dysplasia I think. I put 4 baby asprin in with his dinner every night, this really helps him a lot. I also give him 4-6 Pedigree brand "Good Bites" that are marked "for hips and joints'. These little treats have made all the difference in the world. I have tried other brands, along with plain glucosamine, they did not have any effect. You can get Pedigree Hip and Joint treats at Walmart.
Jenjen
deeRose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deeRose »

OMG!!! your chow is 16 years old? that ohh so good..bet you are taking care of him as in..very good! had the same problem with my chow a wee ago.. my Lio (that's his name) had difficulty walking.. he used to love walking around our village every morning but for the last 2 days of that time, he would not even get excited if i show him his leash( he usually gets excited), its a sign for him that we are going walking. He would just stand up and i can see he had a hard time standing up..like he has sprained leg.. he walks though but like he is walking on crutches. He was like having a shuffling gait. Anyhow, I went to the pharmacy and bought Flanax(for joint pain). I was thinking of buying colchichine but i was thinking maybe he will get diarrhea out of it..heheheehe. I just told the Pharmacist I want a medicine for my dog's walking difficulty. She grinned initially maybe thinking I was stupid for going to the pharmacy.. I ignored her, anyway. I just love my Lio boy soooo much and i would buy anything for him..Wahahaha!!! So, She made me choose. I chose the Flanax because the indication is " For joint pain"..hehehehe. Honestly it worked well for him.. I let him take 1 tablet in the morning and by afternoon that day.. he walked perfectly..AS IN WOOOWWW!!! Only one tablet. Amidst that I also bought calcium supplements..He is doing well now and we are back walking and strolling within our village. My old boy is back..