sleeping arrangements

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

sleeping arrangements

Post by tholladay »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a chow that actually sleeps in bed with them? Ours will cuddle with us for a couple minutes and them jump down and sleep on the floor. I know they are independent, i was just curious if this was the same with all chows?
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: sleeping arrangements

Post by BeckiHutton »

My chow lily won't even sleep in the bedroom with us :( I would love it if she did because my partner works nights and it is nice to have the company but when she is in the bedroom she just sits at the door looking sad
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

aww i know what you mean, it is comforting just to have them nearby! My husband and I figure it's because she's in guard dog mode while we're sleeping. If I'm awake and laying in bed reading she will actually lay in bed with me for a little while!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Most chows don't sleep with their people. It's not completely about independence, they get too hot. Most won't even sleep in doggie beds, again they get too warm, they prefer to sleep on bare floors where it is colder. Remember they were bred to live outside in the cold or in big old drafty stone floored monestaries and palaces.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Both Bella & Bruin sleep in bed with us, but not at the same time. I think they do it in shifts.. sometimes one will sleep in the whole night, then the other will sleep there the next night. Other times I will go to sleep with Bella at the foot of the bed, only to wake up with Bruin there in her place. I suspect when summer rolls around they won't be so much into the bed thing because of the heat. Bruin insists on sleeping on something soft though.. it could be a bed, couch, pillow, pile of clothes, just anything SOFT!

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Aww bless :) I'd love that. I haven't actually tried that yet I may have to try putting her on the bed. She's only just got to the point where she'll come up on the sofa for cuddles
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

That's part of what i love about chows, they're all so different with their own personalities! And it does make sense that they would get hot cuddling in bed with all that fur!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Our two youngsters, Matilda and Maisie, who are 17 months old, will jump on our bed when we are going to bed and they wait for us then when we actually get into bed they jump down and sleep on the floor.
Our old girl Mabel, who is 11 1/2 never jumped on our bed and she used to sleep on the floor but now she seems to like the comfort of her own bed and gets into it as soon as we go to bed. Her litter sister Milly used to jump on our bed but again, like Matilda and Maisie, as soon as we got into bed, she would jump down and get into her own bed.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My girl Tippsy sleeps in bed with me. She does this all year 'round and all night long. :D Dixie use to sleep with us, but after a while she took to her kennel and ONLY wants to sleep in her kennel now. Jasper however, only ever slept in bed with me a few times, but he sleeps in his kennel too.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

You're so lucky, I would love for Athena to sleep with us! Oh, well at least she still sleeps right beside the bed :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am not sure that I would want our two youngsters to sleep with us. They are big girls and have lovely coats and I am sure that they would be very hot to sleep with. :?
I am happy that they want to sleep in our room with us - one sleeps by Fred's side of the bed and the other sleeps on my side so we have one each whilst they old girl snores away contentedly in her own bed. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I had lily on the bed with ne last night and she lay there next to me all night :) such a lovely girl
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

awww how sweet! :D I guess she just needed some encouragement!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

tholladay wrote:You're so lucky, I would love for Athena to sleep with us! Oh, well at least she still sleeps right beside the bed :)
I'm kinda glad I only have 1 sleeping with me. Tippsy's small for a chow at 38 pounds, Dixie is currently 45 ponds at 7 months, and Jasper is 105 pounds at 2 years old. So in a queen size bed, it'd be hard to fit us ALL.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

Both of mine do :) They prefer to sleep right at our feet in between my wife and myself.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Of course I should also add that my Dreamdancer sleeps UNDER my bed, and always has. Firesong sleeps either at the foot of the bed or right beside it. When she does that she traps Dreamdancer under it. It is so funny at night sometimes...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I bet it is :) haha I'd love to see that
Selethe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Selethe »

Interesting to hear that some of the chows don't sleep on the bed voluntarily. It's my dream to sleep with Momo...she's like a living teddy bear. :D But she has never jumped onto the bed or any furniture. I'm not sure if she is capable of doing so. Every night, she sleeps in her pen on the tiled floor. On the few nights Momo was allowed to stay out of her pen, she slept by the bed or near the door.
The many faces of momo
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

She does the same as ours then :) Athena won't get up on the furniture either unless we pick her up, and then only for a couple minutes. (momo is adorable by the way :) )
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Same with Lily. It's only very very occasionally jump on the furniture. And even then it's only for a couple of minutes. She also seems very scared to go upstairs. She will with ALOT of encouragement. But it does have to be ALOT. I don't know why this is.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

When Tess first came to us - when we went to bed - she would jump up on the bed and do the Chow-Chow twirly thing and plop down in the middle of Mike and me towards the end of the bed. We have a queen size bed - Mike is 6'2" - I am lots smaller. We would just make room. In her senior years when she could no longer jump up in the bed she would first lay by Mike's side of the bed. Then mine. Her last plop down during the night was at the head of the stairs. When she was young one of the funny things she would do - was when I said "I am going to take a shower, " she would jump up in the bed and nuzzle her nose in the bed clothes to get her smell into everything. She was so Chow! We miss our girl.
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

I actually just enjoyed reading some of the stories you posted about Tess. She sounds like she was a very special girl :)
Selethe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Selethe »

tholladay wrote:She does the same as ours then :) Athena won't get up on the furniture either unless we pick her up, and then only for a couple minutes. (momo is adorable by the way :) )
Thanks tholladay! Momo was cuter as a pup...now she I consider her a pretty dog :) The thing is Chows are so good-looking that it's hard to find other dogs that look just as good...Everywhere I go, momo gets a lot of attention. The kids call her 'Lion Dog' (some mistakenly say 'Tiger Dog' as well :lol: ).
The many faces of momo
tholladay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tholladay »

I know what you mean, I love taking Athena to petco and out on walks to show her off! And not many people have Chows in our area, so people are fascinated with her :) (or they keep their distance from our ferocious little furball...lol) And you're right, not many dogs can compare with their good looks!
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

Minnie, my 2 year old chow, spends most of the night on my bed...except when she is saving the household from the evil squirrel agents that try to attack in the middle of the night. Stella, my puppy, isn't allowed on the bed much, since she uses it as an opportunity to pester Minnie.